Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Had my ob appt. yesterday

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Had my ob appt. yesterday

Postby kimmc » Thu Jun 17, 2004 01:42 pm

by kimmc (54 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 01:42 pm

I like the dr. alot. She answered all my questions. There are just a few issues that she didn't address that I feel she should have. She is not a peri. I asked if I needed to see a peri., but she said I could see her and she would consult w/ a peri. Or I could see just the peri. if I wanted. It is up to me. Because I am diabetic she said I have more than a 25% chance of getting PE again, but not as high as 50%. She didn't know anything about taking vitamins C & E to help w/ PE but she said I could take them if I wanted. I know she knows about PE. She had it herself and delivered at 28 wks. She is a very nice dr. I do feel comfortable w/ her, but....She didn't mention anything about me needing to lose weight before I get preg. Which I feel I do. And she didn't even ask me about my blood sugar numbers! I mentioned briefly that I kept good control on my diab. Maybe she just assumes that I know what I am doing in that respect, and I do, but I just thought she would ask. Maybe I should have brought these things up, but of course I didn't think of them until after the appt. I'm considering having a pre-conception visit w/the peri. I wonder if he will be better able to handle a preg. of a type 1 diabetic, who had PE with her first preg, and had twins. This dr. says she has treated several patients w/diabetes, and to be honest I rely more on my endocronologist for that than I do the ob. I am just not sure what to do. I think my DH thinks we should wait until I get preg. and see how she handles it, and if we don't like it we can switch to the peri. I think he is more comfortable w/me seeing a woman than a man. My last dr. was a man, and I don't think he like it very much[:)] Oh, and what should your BP be? I think mine was 130/84, I think. That's sounds a little high to me. What do you all think? Thanks.

Kim(27)
Phil(27)
Kylie and Jesse Born 8/22/03 at 35 wks. PE
kimmc

Re : Had my ob appt. yesterday

Postby 5thtymachrm » Thu Jun 17, 2004 02:29 pm

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 02:29 pm

I vote for seeing a peri for preconception counseling. You have too many issues going on and its a lot to handle even for a high risk OB. Don't wait until your prego to make a decision, thats the worst time to figure it out. Because usually you are figuring out that the ob is terrible and you need to switch to someone else and then it takes forever...blah blah blah...do you get what I mean. It doesn't hurt anything to see a peri first. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do :o)

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03:37wks, PIH
5thtymachrm

Postby angelkat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 03:01 pm

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 03:01 pm

I had my pre consp consult with my peri and started seeing them (the group) as soon as I had +++ (I think it was 4 weeks) and have been with them since.

I think it's most important to start with a peri this way he/she knows every detail and it's not just reading charts or getting referred by another doctor. But again, the most important thing is to feel comfie with your doctor and one that understands what your feeling emotionality is most important!!!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby julie f » Thu Jun 17, 2004 03:53 pm

by julie f (7993 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 03:53 pm

Kim,

I have to second what Elizabeth and Tracy said, I'd see a peri for a preconception consult. With the issues that you may face during pregnancy, it's best to have a peri in on it from the get go. It is usually possible that you can keep both doctors. I'll be seeing my regular OB (not high risk) until 15 weeks when I'll start to see the peri as well. The peri will comanage my care - making me very happy because I love my OB but, also feel like I need to be monitored by someone very well-versed in preeclampsia.

Let us know what you decide.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 9, 2005!!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby arj » Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:15 pm

by arj (1251 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:15 pm

Kim,
I don't have anything to add to your peri. question. Sounds like everyone who has experience with that has given you some solid advice. As for your BP, the best thing to do would be to buy a home BP cuff and take your BP every day around the same time. 130/84 is a little high, but I still believe it's within the normal range. I think that "ideally" you would like it to be <120 systolic and <80 diastolic. I've also seen someone suggest that you bring your monitor with you to the dr.'s office and match it with their reading. I thought that was a really good idea.

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. PE at 40 weeks
arj

Postby kimmc » Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:29 pm

by kimmc (54 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 09:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm not sure what I am going to do. I think that I should atleast have a preconception visit with this peri. My last dr. was a peri, but he didn't do a very good job! I definately want someone who I feel comfortable with and whom I trust to know what they are doing. I'm sure this regular ob is very good, she came highly recommended by a friend who has had PE. But my last dr. was highly recommended by my endo. The bottom line is that I want to know that the dr. who handles my preg. knows how to deal with PE and diabetes. I would think that a peri. would be the best suited for that. Plus, it's not like I am really attached to this new ob, I've only seen her once. I guess I know what I should do. Let's see what the DH thinks.
Allison, I have been thinking about buying a BP cuff. Are they very expensive?

Kim(27)
Phil(27)
Kylie and Jesse Born 8/22/03 at 35 wks. PE
kimmc

Postby norlisa k » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:30 pm

by norlisa k (745 Posts), Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:30 pm

Kim - I'm with the gang here, and getting a perinatologist who is very knowledgeable in hypertensive disorders of pregnancy is key. I've rambled on and on about it before, but having a doc that you are extremely comfortable with and who'll answer all of your questions is so important.

We have invested in a couple of blood pressure cuffs at home, and the ones that we've used run anywhere from $60-$90. Wonderful wonderful investment, though. Kept my mind at ease during the pregnancy and confirmed post-partum high blood pressure readings. Worth every penny that we spent.

Best wishes your way and hugs,
Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(35), Washington State Coordinator & Moderator, Mothers of Multiples & Co-Moderator, Trying to Conceive
Gordon (37)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven
Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 weeks, 5/26/03, no preeclampsia during pregnancy, mom severe blood pressure problems post-partum
norlisa k

Postby taras mom » Fri Jun 18, 2004 02:39 am

by taras mom (841 Posts), Fri Jun 18, 2004 02:39 am

I agree, too. A pre-TTC consultation will allow you to develop a plan for monitoring and treatment (e.g., when to do what tests, when to schedule ultrasounds, what bp level will prompt a change in treatment). Also, if you meet the peri and decide you don't like him or her, you have time to find another; you won't feel obligated to stick with him or her just because you're already pregnant.

Carol (39)
DH Bill (40)
Tara Mairichi
12/7-12/9, 2002
The Mightiest Little Angel
taras mom

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia