We have started!

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
alexa5

Re : We have started!

Postby alexa5 » Fri May 21, 2010 08:42 am

My guess is if your cycle is typically 28-30 days, you most likely ovulate somewhere in the middle (between days 13 and 16). But of course I don't know :-) But I have a 26-28 day cycle, and it is pretty consistent that I have cervical mucous from about day 8 or 9 until I ovulate (or when I guess I have because the mucous is much less). Plus since I got pregnant fairly quickly both times (one ended in miscarriage), I am assuming my cycle and ovulation is pretty consistent. So, long story short, if you don't feel like going really deep into the ovulation testing and such, you could start by paying attention to cervical mucous.

I don't think I could do all of the checking of my temp and such. I am not TTC, though. Good luck to you!

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Fri May 21, 2010 07:25 am

Good luck! Keeping everything crossed for you!

angieb

Postby angieb » Thu May 20, 2010 12:18 am

The book is great and a must read. (It will help you understand your cycle a lot better, when you can get pregnant, when you can't, etc.) The forums are good for instant feedback and tips though. :)

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu May 20, 2010 10:50 am

Thank you everyone!

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Thu May 20, 2010 01:13 am

Laura, congratulations and good luck with TTC.

Angieb has given you really good advice on TTC. There is not much I can add to that except to second the recommendation for Taking Charge of Your Fertility. (She referred you to the website and I only read the book, but I assume they both have the same info.) It teaches you how to check your temps, position of your cervix and cervical fluid which all help determine your fertile phase. Good Luck!!

angieb

Postby angieb » Thu May 20, 2010 00:38 am

quote:ow do you know when you ovulate? I actually have a 28 day cycle maybe 30 some months...and I only get it for about 5 days.

I take my temp and use ovulation tests.

The problem with the machines is that you have to keep buying strips to pee on anyway, so I save myself the expense of the machine and just buy tests.

The problem with temping is that it only tells you *after* you've ovulated, because ovulation causes your progesterone to increase which causes your temperature to increase, then if you aren't pregnant it drops again. (This month I knew I wasn't pregnant 3 days before my period started because my temperatures dropped, so it can be kinda handy, it kept me from getting my hopes up needlessly, though everyone's temps should rise for the first 10 or so days after ovulation.) It is a pain at first, but you really do get in the habit of it.

Edited to add: Here's an example of one of my charts, http://www.tcoyf.com/members/angieb/charts/4.aspx you can see how my temp rises and stays high after ovulation. The software adds the coverline automatically and will usually tell you when you ovulated after you enter your temps/fertility signs. www.tcoyf.com is a pretty good website/forums for TTC and they let you chart for free right now as a beta tester. (There's also fertilityfriend.com which is free charting, I just don't like that software as much.)

The best way for me is ovulation tests. I really like the early-pregnancy-test.com ovulation predictor kits (I usually get them on ebay for about $7 for a pack of 20 + 5 pregnancy tests.) They are basically like pregnancy tests, except for that your test line needs to be as dark or darker than the control line to be considered positive, and a positive test means you should ovulate within the next 48ish hours. (So it gives you the head's up which temping doesn't do, and they tend to be cheaper than fertility monitors.) Last month I didn't ovulate until day 39 and I went through 80 ovulation tests (I test 2 to 3 times a day depending on how dark my lines are looking because when I'm about to ovulate they get progressively darker which gives me even more warning, but it makes me test more often too.)

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Thu May 20, 2010 00:20 am

hmmm ok thanks :)

lakensmommy

Postby lakensmommy » Thu May 20, 2010 00:13 am

you can take your basil body temp every morning and look for the shift in temp. but that is kinda hard and you are really supposed to be tracking early on. the other way is to get an ovulation detection machine that uses sticks you pee on and looks for the shift in a hormone. Ashley (ruby09) used a machine you can ask her about it.

l412angel

Postby l412angel » Wed May 19, 2010 11:25 pm

Thanks guys :) Ok this may be a stupid question...how do you know when you ovulate? I actually have a 28 day cycle maybe 30 some months...and I only get it for about 5 days.

anonpreemiemom

Postby anonpreemiemom » Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 pm

For me it wouldnt have worked. I was fertile about halfway through my cycle. But hey practice is good and I always thought about those studies showing semen exposure over time was helpful! So the more the better!

Congrats on starting this next chapter.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”