Any risk taking clomid?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Any risk taking clomid?

Postby maxs mom » Mon Jun 21, 2004 06:41 pm

I have an abnormal cycle, I am definitely not a 28 day kind of girl. Some months it's 33 days, others its 40, some 50 days, etc. etc. I charted my previous PG and I never knew when I ovulated until after I ovulated. After 6 mths of TTC, I was finally put on a 50mg dose of Clomid and I got PG that month. I was thrilled it worked so well and I had no side effects... And then I got PE. I don't think there is any proven link, so do you think it is OK to go this route again? My OB thinks I should just take the lose dose Clomid, after one month of taking progestrone, to make sure I am ovulating. I really don't think the progesterone is necessary, but I would like to take the Clomid, then I know for sure what day I am ovulating. So, any input on there being any risks (besides a risk for multiples).
Thanks!

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/
maxs mom

Re : Any risk taking clomid?

Postby norlisa k » Mon Jun 21, 2004 07:29 pm

Hi Kara - First off, just let me say that I'm NOT a doctor, I'm just passing on what I've learned from one of my reproductive endocrinologists (RE).

At a recent conference, one of the ladies asked the RE about the possible side effects of Clomid, and the doc answered that there's evidence that it may (MAY) cause the endometrial lining to be not as thick (the doc also said that it could also cause the multiple pregnancy). That's all that the doctor said, so I can't really elaborate anymore than this.

As for the progesterone, I know that when I was pregnant (IVF/ICSI twins), the progesterone that I was on (intramuscular injection) was to ensure the lining of the uterus remained "thick" and was supporting my babies okay (since there was no corpus luteum on the ovary to make the progesterone hormones).

With my own personal experience, I don't know about the preeclampsia link with Clomid or progesterone. (I didn't conceive on clomid, and my perinatologist was okay with me being on progesterone injections 10 1/2 weeks into my pregnancy, and I didn't have preeclampsia until post-partum.)

I'd definitely bring it up to my doctor, Kara. Any concerns or questions, I hope that your doc answers it to your satisfaction and that you're fully comfortable with the answer he/she gives you. Best of luck and I hope that it all goes well and that you get a "+" test really soon! [:)]

Hugs,
Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(35), Washington State Coordinator / Moderator, Mothers of Multiples / Co-Moderator, Trying to Conceive
DH, Gordon (37)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03, no preeclampsia during pregnancy, mom severe high blood pressure problems post-partum
norlisa k

Postby steelsword328 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 07:32 pm

Kara,
Your story sounds so much like mine when I was TTC#1. I had very irregular cycles and doc wasn't sure I was ovulating. So after one year of TTC I was placed on 50mg Clomid (also had an HSG that month) and got pg that month. I didn't take the progesterone though ( what does that do?) I too got PE--at 26 wks diagnosed and I delivered at 26wks 2 days my 580g miracle preemie. My OB says there's no link between the two and I believe him--but who knows what research they will come up with 10-20 years from now saying it did?

My cycles have become more regular now--although not always the same length each month. (25-27 days). Doc wanted me to try for about 4 months (we've been TTC for 2) before going back on Clomid. I don't want to have to do Clomid again--just because of risk of multiples (usually no more than twins), but I'll do whatever I have to do---to a certain extent. I know at least 3 people--personally--who conceived twins with Clomid!! yikes!

If my cycles were still irregular like yours, I would probably opt for the Clomid again---chances are you'll get pg again the first month.

best wishes!

Renee mom to Alyssa-26wkr-1lb 4oz.-severe PE-now a happy and healthy 2 year old!
TTC#2!!!!
steelsword328

Postby angelkat » Mon Jun 21, 2004 08:33 pm

From my exp. this is what I know ... I have had PE with three preg two were without clomid and 1 with. We did clomid with insemination with this preg and so far no PE just HTN (which I started out with).

So I don't really know if there is a link or not, I would have to say no... If PE is going to hit it will hit (just wish it would stay away from everyone)

Good luck!!!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby josiah1112 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 08:50 pm

Multiples ups your risk for pre e. The theory seems
to be - if your body had a hard time with one baby,
imagine with two. Some doctors recommend a 'reduction'
that is removing one of the babies if it's a
twin pregnancy. (Not something I would, personally
do) but I have heard it given as an option.

Gloria mom to Josiah 11/12/03- 12/4/03 @ 26wks pre e
Moderator- Foro Latino
Future Adoptive Mom
josiah1112

Postby jenndola » Thu Jun 24, 2004 08:46 pm

Generally speaking, the risk of multiples with Clomid is mostly when a woman is taking higher doses of the medication. The lower doses that we see daily in the pharmacy don't seem to cause much of an increase in multiple births. (I was actually just talking to the pharmacists I work with about this a few months ago!)

Jenn
Angel Maggie stillborn due to HELLP Syndrome at 19.5 wks
Missed miscarriage/D&C 14 weeks
Miscarriage 6 weeks
Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
I'm putting my perinatologist's kids through college!
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia