donor eggs/IVF

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
bernadic

Re : donor eggs/IVF

Postby bernadic » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Hi Lisa, Congrats on your news but sorry to hear about your loss. I saw your posts in an another area and have been reading them. I am sending positive thoughts your way. We are very concerned about having a repeat 27 weeker. Living with the NICU for 3 months was very tough on us plus all the issues that followed for a year. Do you have any questions that I should ask the RE when I see him in 3 weeks regarding IVF and PE? Did you have a high FSH level? That is what they think is my problem. I am not too sure if he will recommend more shots and an IUI or just do an IVF cycle. Any thoughts since you did both? Thanks. I am trying to get the most info I can since PE is thrown into this crazy mix. Best of luck to you. I am pulling for you!

lisacarmel

Postby lisacarmel » Thu Sep 02, 2010 07:29 pm

I got pregnant with my son on injections and IUI. I ended up delivering at 26 weeks due to severe Pree. My son survived for 16 days. Since then I have tried one IVF cycle with 2, 5 day embryos transfered. Failed cycle. In Aug. I had my 3 frozen embryos transferred. I am currently pregnant and waiting to see a heart beat.

I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility but my doctor believes it has to do with my age. I'm currently 37. Yikes! The one thing that scares me about IVF is the chance of having multiples because that would put me at an even higher risk. My doctor is not to worried about it given my history of trying to conceive.

I also fear putting another baby through what my son had to endure but at the same time I want a baby to love and raise. My husband and I really want to have a family.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:51 pm

The birth control is used primarily to help schedule your cycle. For instance, if you want to have retrieval mid-novemeber, your RE can put you on BCP with your next cycle and keep you on them until he is ready to start your cycle. I think it is more important if you are trying to plan your retrieval/transfer around something. Also, my understanding is that some of the larger clinics only do cycles every couple of months, so they have to adjust your cycle with BCP to match their schedules. Does that make sense? I also think BCP are used in certain protocols for other reasons, but I don't know much about that. Also, if you do donor egg both you and the donor will have to go on the pills, so your RE can sync your cycles. They want your lining at time of transfer be comparable to a lining 3 or 5 days after ovulation.

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 09:25 pm

Rebecca2-thanks a million! Yes, I am still on bp meds 3 years later. We did the MFM thing a year ago before doing the meds and IUIs so we are aware of our risks.:( My apt is Sept 27. I am 34 but will probably be like you and be 35 when we do the cycle. We are still very, very paranoid about having to put a baby through a long NICU stay so that is one hurdle we have to deal with ourselves. I think we may do the mini-as the meds most likely will make me sick so I think less is better for me-I have been on a bunch of meds (femara, clomid, ovidrel) before and also we really don't want to freeze any eggs or embryos as we won't be doing this again. Why the birth control? Thanks.

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 02:17 pm

quote:Originally posted by bernadic

Rebecca2-do you know the success rate for a single IVF? How many eggs do they harvest when you know that only 1 is going to be put back. A single IVF is what we were thinking too as many drs have told me that twins is was too dangerous for us. Is a single transfer the same as a mini-IVF? Yes, I am concerned he will turn me away because of my past medical history. What questions should I be asking regarding this and the PE issue? Any extra info/advise you can send my way would be great.

I did a lot of research on this last summer prior to my cycle. During that time, I found at least one study that showed success rates for ELECTIVE single embryo transfers (eSET) to be as high or slightly higher than multiple embryo transfers. The study focused on eSET meaning the couple had more than one embryo to transfer, but opted to transfer only one. In other words, they didn't include couples that only had one embryo to transfer. I think it was also based on age, but I don't recall if it was for women under 35 or women 35-37. I was specifically looking for research based on my age. I was 34 at the time of retrieval, but turned 35 before the transfer, so I was kind of in between the two groups. If you're doing donor egg, odds are your donor will be under 35 probably even 30, so your success rates should be even higher. (I'll look through my files and see if I can find the study for you.)

An eSET is not the same as mini-IVF, but you can do eSET with either mini-IVF or traditional IVF. The difference between the two, is just the amount of medicine you take during the controlled hyperstimulation of your ovaries. With mini-IVF the RE is only trying to get something like 3-5 eggs so you take less FSH/hMG than you would in traditional IVF where they are trying to retrieve 8-15 eggs. (The numbers I'm using here are just general numbers I'm using to explain the difference between the procedures. Every RE has their own goal for number of eggs.) Anyway, regardless of whether you have 5 embryos or 15, you can do an eSET. Odds are you will just have less or none to freeze with the mini-IVF. I did traditional IVF, because we are hoping to use frozen embryos for siblings in the future.

I would be surprised if the RE turns you away because of your past history with PE. If anything, he might require a note from your OB or MFM stating that they think it is safe. Although, I doubt he would even require that. He will likely just insist that you have a preconception apt with your MFM, so that you are aware of the risks.

Do you still have high BP? If so, I would discuss whether or not you will need to take birth control pills. My RE decided not to put me on the pills during my 2nd cycle. However, if you're using donor egg, you might not have an option because they have to sync up your cycle with that of the donor.

bernadic

Postby bernadic » Tue Aug 31, 2010 08:56 am

Heather that was so sweet to spend time looking for someone to help me. I will check out her website.

Rebecca2-do you know the success rate for a single IVF? How many eggs do they harvest when you know that only 1 is going to be put back. A single IVF is what we were thinking too as many drs have told me that twins is was too dangerous for us. Is a single transfer the same as a mini-IVF? Yes, I am concerned he will turn me away because of my past medical history. What questions should I be asking regarding this and the PE issue? Any extra info/advise you can send my way would be great.

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Mon Aug 30, 2010 09:07 pm

Maja,
Julie, who was a member here and posted during her second pregnancy last year, used donor eggs after having preeclampsia (which promted an early delivery) with her first - the use of donor eggs was unrelated to the PE, btw. IIRC, she didn't have PE with her second. I've plowed through our member lists for the past 10 minutes and can't seem to locate her because I don't remember her exact username. She has a blog which you may find useful both in reading archive posts about her experiences and maybe to reach out through a message or email regarding her experiences.

You can find her at: http://www.alittlepregnant.com/alittlepregnant/

rebecca2

Postby rebecca2 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 07:44 pm

I don't have any experience with donor eggs, but I wouldn't expect an RE to turn you away because of PE. (If I read your post right, it sounds like you're concerned he might?) However, I used IVF to conceive both of my pregnancies. The first resulted in severe PE at 26 weeks and my daughter passed away shortly after birth. I was classified as chronic hypertensive prior to/during my second pregnancy. I was monitored very closely and did NOT develop PE, but I did have to deliver at 35w6d due to low amniotic fluid. He spent 2 weeks in NICU, but is fine now! My BP also shot up 2 weeks PP, but I've been managing it with meds with no serious problems.

As for risks/worries...given the increased risk for PE based on my pregnancy history, we did a single embryo transfer since my RE and I decided a twin pregnancy would be too high risk. The only other worry related to IVF was whether or not it would work. All my other worries were related to PE.

I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have.

bernadic

donor eggs/IVF

Postby bernadic » Mon Aug 30, 2010 05:09 pm

Hi ladies. We cannot make up our minds with the TTC. About 6 weeks ago we thought we made the final decision to give up on fertility treatments. We started looking into adoption-my husband is not a big fan about adoption for more than one reason once we started researching the options. I can't let it go that I am only going to have 1 child-my heart feels empty and I feel defeated. Knowing that my FSH is high, my eggs may be bad and 6 months of fertility drugs that did not work we are now thinking of using donor eggs. I am seeing my RE in 3 weeks to discuss this and other IVF/fertility options. It states on his website that he uses donor eggs in women who can successfully carry to full term. With my past PE and PP PE, who is to say what will happen. I was given a 60/40 chance by the MFM since I still am on bp meds. Do any of you out there know anything about donor eggs in people who have had PE in a prior pregnancy? Also, any one out there who did IVF after PE who is willing to give me there thoughts on the risks and worries that had? Thanks!

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”