Detrimental to myself

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Re: Detrimental to myself

Postby jean » Sat Feb 19, 2011 04:03 pm

Sam10-so you didn't have sex at all before the + OPK...just on the day of the positve and the day after? Did you have intercourse at all other than that throughout the month?

Thanks for the info...I appreciate all the thoughts and ideas ppl have to offer!
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Postby claricemaala » Sat Feb 19, 2011 08:54 pm

Sorry for my ignorance. WHat does it mean "two year PE window?" Does this mean we are to try within 2 years of the last pregnancy? and why?
Thanks in advance
Mom to 6 year old. Born at 33 1/2 weeks after preeclampsia and abruptio placenta.
Angel boy -Michael- born 2/1/2010 at 31 weeks. Had pre eclampsia and hospital bedrest at 27 weeks. Died due to NEC. Forever loved and missed
Rainbow baby due Feb 2012. Hoping for a looooonnnnnnngggg uneventful pregnancy.
claricemaala

Postby jean » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:26 pm

WHat does it mean "two year PE window?" Does this mean we are to try within 2 years of the last pregnancy? and why?

Yes...your spiral arteries are enlarged from your previous pregnancy if you can get pregnant again within two years. This can help you to possibly last longer in a second pregnancy.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

jean

Postby sam10 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:31 pm

Jean- when we conceived Henry we actually had intercourse only once and that was the day of the positive OPK. We were moving and a lot of stuff going on, so we did not bother to maximize our chances. But usually we try the day of the positive OPK and the day after and that is also what my Ob told me to do. In combination with the temperature charting I then also knew then the temp was up, that for the rest of the cycle we could close up shop and not stress about it anymore.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby alexa5 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:24 am

We did similar to the above.... I was pregnant twice...one ended in miscarriage, and the other in a son. But with both we just timed one session of intercourse at close to what we thought the right time was. And the rest of the month we did whatever..sometimes did and sometimes didn't depending on how busy things were at the time. But we knew the rest of the month didn't matter in regard to TTC, and didn't give it a thought then at all.
alexa5

Postby jean » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:37 am

Oh, that gives me a big relief...thank you for share that info! Maybe we can try less and still be successful..

It seems like with my charting, I am noticing that I always ovulate the day I get the postive OPK. And my hubby and I both work, so usually can't have sex until the evening. I worried that what if I ovulated say at 1 or 2pm, but then we couldn't have sex until 9pm...would we be missing the boat?

Another thing that is weird is that I've read you're supposed to do the OPK's around late afternoon or early evening. Well, often when I do them I will take one at that time of the day and get a negative result, but then if I try again the next morning, I'll get a positive one. (And I always make sure to not go to the bathroom for 4 hrs prior to testing). Maybe I'm just the acception to the rule? I don't know..

jean

Postby alexa5 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 08:15 am

Do you find that you are getting the positive with your kit around the same cycle day each month? If so, keep in mind you can have intercourse up to a few days before--the important thing is that the sperm is there ready for the egg at ovulation. So, it might be wise not to wait so long and try to have intercourse a little sooner before ovulation so you aren't too late.

As I had said, we were successful on day 10, and I probably didn't ovulate until day 12 or 13.... And to be honest, we did it on that day because my hubby was going on a trip right after, and he didn't know that day was chosen for any specific reason...he just figured we were having sex to have sex :-) Though he knew we were trying to TTC, I never really discussed the good days with him or anything like that. I just really tried to make it no big deal.
alexa5

Postby jean » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:44 am

Yes, we started trying the day before the postive OPK. But it is a struggle/nightmare. There were tears, anger, and failed tries. We had sex the day before, day of, and day after. My hubby failed the "day of"...we had a lot of upset and tried again later that night, which was successful but unhappy and he said it was a "small amount"..I could tell he was having a real hard time with it. Then we tried again the next night again unsuccessfully...he was in tears, and we tried again later that night and were successful, but he told me he was exhausted and again had a very "small amount".
So I just don't think that he can go multiple days in a row. But I just don't know which days are the most important. If I knew which days were the most important, maybe we could cut it down to an every other day thing around the important time. I just can't seem to figure which days would be the most important.

My positive OPK's seem to run within a day or two of each other.

jean

Postby alexa5 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:42 am

So, I guess what I meant by up to a few days before is that you don't have to do it multiple times...often one time will do if timed right (within a few days before ovulation). Honestly, I think trying too many times in that short of a window could be tiring for many people. It really is about the timing and not the frequency...I was just trying to help by saying that you don't have to get it "so close" to ovulation...since sperm can hang around for a few days.
alexa5

Postby sam10 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:46 am

I would also try to minimize the frequency. As has been said, it is the timing rather than how often. My doctors told me to have intercourse on the day of the positive OPK (which tells you that ovulation will happen within the next 24 to 36 hours) and the day after. But even if you only do it the same day of the positive OPK, as sperm can hang around.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia