Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Switching to pg safe bp meds

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Switching to pg safe bp meds

Postby susan belisle » Sat Jul 03, 2004 09:35 am

by susan belisle (591 Posts), Sat Jul 03, 2004 09:35 am

Hello all-

I am a little ahead of myself and thougt I would come here for some balance. I swithced to Methyldopa from Labatalol and Norvasc. I am under a Cardologist care and we are monitoring my bp daily. Over the last two weeks it has been going up. Started at 123/75 currently 139/92. So we upped the doseage to 750mg 3x a day. (Casue I was reading 175/99 for a bit) But thats 2250mg of meds a day! The max for this drug is 3000mg. So I am freaking out that the drug will not take and my chances of having another baby are out the window. And then I worry that if I can get pg that my meds are so high that if my bp does spike during pg I have no were to go with my meds. I am doing everything to keep the bp under control. Low salt diet, exercise and meditation and still I am reading high. I am triing so hard to take this one day at a time but I feel like no one understands how important these drugs are!! I need them to work!! Anyone else make a switch in bp drugs out there??? Any advise for my patients level?

Susan
Interuption 06/23/01 @20 wks
Carly 04/24/02 30 wks 3lbs 6 oz
ttc again with pg induced hypertention
susan belisle

Re : Switching to pg safe bp meds

Postby angelkat » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:02 am

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:02 am

Susan...

I'm also a HTN'er and currently taking 800mg of Labatalol and 25 mg of Hydralazine (4x day) my BP is very control with these meds with only a few changes thru out my preg.

Hang in there, hopefully they will find a combo that will work for you!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby julie f » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:08 am

by julie f (7993 Posts), Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:08 am

Susan,

I haven't dealt with bp meds before but, I have read here that many women (like T) have had additional pg safe meds added to the mix with great success. I think it's justa matter of finding out what works for your body. Maybe your OB could suggest something?

Hang in there, I know how frustrating it is when our bodies don't cooperate...

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby norlisa k » Sat Jul 03, 2004 03:17 pm

by norlisa k (745 Posts), Sat Jul 03, 2004 03:17 pm

Hi Susan - I'm so sorry that you feel like no one understands how important these blood pressure-controlling drugs are. I know that they are. It took a long while to get my bp under control after I gave birth. One of my drugs has remained constant, and the other three were tinkered with by countless doctors until I finally went back to my perinatologist for a preconception visit, at which point he stabilized everything. Hopefully, you can sit your cardiologist down and tell him/her these are my concerns, this is what I'm doing (low salt, exercise, and meditation), and this is what I want--to have a baby. I hope that your cardiologist will help you achieve your goals and address all of your concerns like my perinatologist did. It is the most frustrating (and frightening) thing in the world when you have to keep upping/changing meds. Sending lots of good wishes and thoughts your way. I want it to all work out for you, please keep us posted.

Hugs,
Norlisa

Norlisa Keffer(35), Washington State Coordinator / Moderator, Mothers of Multiples / Co-Moderator, Trying to Conceive
(essential hypertension diagnosed before pregnancy, post-partum preeclampsia)
DH, Gordon (37)
Joseph/Josephine Our Angel in Heaven (9/16/02)
Mary Frances and Samuel (a.k.a. Frankie and Sammy) 38 2/7 weeks, 5/26/03
norlisa k

Postby susan belisle » Sat Jul 03, 2004 05:30 pm

by susan belisle (591 Posts), Sat Jul 03, 2004 05:30 pm

T-

I was on 800 mg of labatalol and it was working ok but I needed the Norvasc to go with it (2.5mgs a day). So did you start your pg on labatalol? When did you start the Hydralazine? I am waiting to hear from my Dr. now to see what we can do to stabilize my meds. WAlkring around rate now is 157/151. Crazy!!!

Thanks for your sapport.

Susan
susan belisle

Postby 5thtymachrm » Sat Jul 03, 2004 08:16 pm

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Sat Jul 03, 2004 08:16 pm

HI there!
okay, if you are walking around with 157/151, then you need to be in the ER! that is heart attack/stroke range at any moment. I don't mean to scare you, or maybe I do, but that is not normal in ANY case of high bp and needs to be brought down right now.

I see the same peri as Norlisa, but I am on atenolol 50mg and lisinopril 5mg, I have to stop the lisinopril as soon as I get a +++. He will then add something else, he didn't say yet. I am on two medications because my bp and pulse were extremely high pg and nonpg. back in feb/mar 2004 my bp increased from normal(110/70)up to 220/130, I didn't go in to the ER because I didn't feel too sick and I was in another state. Boy did I get lectured at and advised that if that ever happened again that I needed to go to the ER immediatly before I dropped from a stroke or heart attack.

there are several other bp meds a person can take other than labetalol. You really need to talk this over with your cardiologist, or for that matter a much better opinion on high bp in pg should come from the perinatologist.

good luck, get that bp taken care of right away, every day your bp is like that is another day of severe damage to your arteries and your heart. the more damage you have the more high risk you become for PE again. not to mention ongoing bp issues for the rest of your life.

please let us know what you decide to do.

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03:37wks, PIH
ttc #2 is a go!
5thtymachrm

Postby sandy » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:25 pm

by sandy (1138 Posts), Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:25 pm

Hi Susan,
Because I have chronic hypertension, I started out my pregnancy w/Methyldopa and eventually had to change to another after maxing out the dosage. Tried Labetalol for a day or two, but I have asthma and that makes asthma worse, so then we settled on Procardia and stayed with that until delivery (and the Mag Sulfate, but that was just at the end when things got wacky).

Right now as we are TTC #2, I am taking Diltiazem, which is a calcium channel blocker. My perinatologist is comfortable with me taking this one, and he said that the calcium channel blockers "open the renal artery beds", so that's a good one to be on while TTC.

Yes, there are meds other than the Methyldopa (that MD's will approve of) that you can take for your hypertension during pregnancy!

I think the most important thing is that you get a medication that works for you, and has your bp's controlled for a good amount of time; like 3 months, before TTC and adding pregnancy to the mix.

Good luck!!

~Sandy/DD born via emergency C at 35 wks/1 day June '03 due to Severe PE/class III HELLP

Risk factors: HBP/asthma/high cholesterol

currently trying to catch an egg...
sandy

Postby angelkat » Sun Jul 04, 2004 01:08 am

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Sun Jul 04, 2004 01:08 am

Susan....

I started the preg off with 400 mg of Lab 3 times a day and around 10 weeks the Hydra was added. Which at that time it was for every 8 hours. I was then place on Mod Bed rest to control my BP's. Around 24 weeks BP start going up a little bit and the Lab was increased along with adding another dose of Hydra. So far so good with these doses. I'm still on Mod Bed rest (but since my BP's are stable I'm aloud to do a little more)

The higher my BP is the better I feel it's our bodies are so used to the pressure being so great that high readings are our norm. Even with the med combo my pressures have been as high as 150/100 (due to being in the doctors office and stressing)but as soon as I lay down and relax it does go back down to a normal range for me which is 140/90. We try to keep my pressures in that range as the baby and my body can both live on those types of pressures. When my Pressures go down (110 ish range) Casey turns in to a lazy little boy in my belly as he is just so used to the high pressures.

It has taken a full year and 1.2 to come up with a med combo that worked for me. While TTC I was just on the Toprol and at times it worked and at others it didn't. Then we added a water pill I kept a logged and handed it to my Primary Care Doctor who didn't want to hear how I was TTC and wouldn't take that class of drug because... My first peri pre consp consult we had discussed the med issues and came up with taking the Lab first to see how it goes and then if needed we would just add to something else. So far so good.
The most important thing is to get your BP under control now before even trying to TTC. As you would like to start with a somewhat normal baseline which will help in the preg.

Hang in there...

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby susan belisle » Sun Jul 04, 2004 06:13 am

by susan belisle (591 Posts), Sun Jul 04, 2004 06:13 am

Hello Everyone-

I can not thank you enough for all of your help. Without you I would be on my way to Crazy Town. Your support has truely help me wrap my head around this bp problem. Yes my rate was at the stroke level. Way WAY to high. I was checking it every hour or so thoughout the day. So when it was high like that I would lay down immeditaly and the bp would come down to 150/90 within 15 mins or so. Dr. said that I didn't need to come into the ER. I needed a 24 hour Pharmacy to get the needed meds ASAP!

The saddest part of yesterday was that I missed my FAVORITE artist Jimmy Buffett in concert. [:(!] I used to say that I loved him more then liFe itself but maybe that's not sooo ture.

Anyhow I am on Methydopa 750 mg 3x a day and back on Lavetalol 200mg 2x a day. My rate after one dose of Labatalol is 130/80. I can do better but we are going in the right dicetion here. I have been at this game (getting in pg asfe bp meds) for two and a half weeks now!! I knew it was gonna take some time. And I prepaired to give myself six months. But once the ball is really rolling it is easy to get wrapped up in the whole thing.

Susan
susan belisle

Postby 5thtymachrm » Sun Jul 04, 2004 07:09 am

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Sun Jul 04, 2004 07:09 am

Susan, glad to hear you were able to get some alternative meds, that bp really scared me! I'm also glad your doc could just prescribe over the phone, not all will do that. Don't think I'm a big ER fan, I think I've been there once for pneumonia, just when people have something that scary going on it needs to be treated ASAP, and sometimes doc offices take a few days to change things,and then its too late. Good luck on the new meds, I hope they keep up the great work and so do you :o)

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03:37wks, PIH
ttc #2 is a go!
5thtymachrm

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia