Post Reply FAQ Members Login

LDA while TTC?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

LDA while TTC?

Postby bordergurl72 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:22 pm

by bordergurl72 (88 Posts), Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Is it common to take it when TTC or do many of your start with a positive pregnancy test?

My MFM said to take it while TTC....but I have heard a lot who take it after a positive test?

Are they any risks for taking LDA, or not starting it until after a positive pregnancy test?

thanks!
Anne, 39
DH, 47
Daughter born March 2005 at 38 weeks at only 4 1/2 lbs. by emergency c-section. Severe PE, HELLP & IUGR.
36 weeks of carefree PG, then it all went downhill and had an excruciating 2 weeks of pain and brushing off by Dr's until being properly diagnosed and delivered at 38 weeks. Since then have been diagnosed with celiac (2009) and Hashimoto's (2011).
Terrified to TTC, but really want to TTC.
bordergurl72

Re: LDA while TTC?

Postby angieb » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Different doctors have different opinions on this.

My MFM wanted me to take it with a + test because she worried it might interfere with early implantation (like the embryo implanting in the uterine lining, which would cause a "failed" cycle that we never knew was a pregnancy because HCG doesn't start pumping out/a + test won't show up, until after that initial implantation occurs.)

However, there have been decent studies comparing women who did IVF with LDA and women who did IVF and did not take LDA. The women who took it had significantly better pregnancy rates for comparable women and other factors. LDA can improve blood flow through the uterus and some say it can give fertility a boost.

I happened to see a fertility doctor (RE) while TTC. He was fine with me starting it before or after a + test, he really didn't think it would hurt anything. Most cycles, I took it after my period stopped and before ovulation (so for me that was like cycle days 5-20ish), once I ovulated, I stopped taking it (so there was no risk of it messing up implantation), and then if I got pregnant, I'd start taking it again, and if I didn't I waited until my period was over. Of course, the cycle I got pregnant I wasn't taking it, but we did a ton of things different that month (first IUI, first HSG, etc.) so I don't think the aspirin had much to do with it.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby kerisue » Sun Feb 27, 2011 07:05 pm

by kerisue (623 Posts), Sun Feb 27, 2011 07:05 pm

My doc said it was fine to take it while TTC.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby danielsmom » Sun Feb 27, 2011 08:49 pm

by danielsmom (290 Posts), Sun Feb 27, 2011 08:49 pm

angieb - I don't think I understand what you said. Are you saying that early implantation would cause a miscarriage or failed "chemical pregnancy"? Could you expand on that a little more?

And just to weigh in, my OB and MFM both have advised me to take lda while trying to conceive.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Postby angieb » Sun Feb 27, 2011 09:53 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Sun Feb 27, 2011 09:53 pm

Chemical pregnancy and miscarriage are technically the same thing, although chemical pregnancy is considered a very early miscarriage. Basically, the egg would have been fertilized and formed into an embryo or whatever the technical term is for after egg and sperm meet (maybe a zygote or blastocyst, I forget), but it won't implant in the uterine lining for whatever reason, so that person was sort of pregnant but never knew it and would never get a positive pregnancy test. (Basically, it's the same as a woman doing IVF having an embryo or two transferred into her uterus, but if she doesn't get pregnant, it's not really a miscarriage and not really a chemical pregnancy, it's just the embryos failed to implant, but there were embryos, so some people would consider that a pregnancy.) After the initial implantation has occurred, HCG will be produced and you'll get a positive test. Implantation is actually a process that takes several weeks, which is why I say "initial" implantation. I guess most doctors agree that low dose aspirin shouldn't interfere at that point, as most say to start it with a positive test (which means embryo should be implanted into the uterine lining if someone is getting a + test.) And in fact, some doctors prescribe low dose aspirin to women with a history of recurrent miscarriages even with no clotting disorders (I think usually after a positive test but I'm not totally sure.)
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby riehlism » Tue Mar 01, 2011 02:50 pm

by riehlism (655 Posts), Tue Mar 01, 2011 02:50 pm

My MFM, OB, and RE recommended LDA while TTC. They believe that LDA can help improve the quality of implantation. The embryo might have an easier time burrowing, and burrowing deep into the lining, which is what we want.

I have heard that some providers don't like LDA because it's so good at implanting, the embryo might implant too early. Meaning it doesn't have enough time to get to the "sweet spot" and implant in a less optimal position. At least that's my understanding of it.

But for me, I have been on LDA since 6 weeks postpartum. I will continue with it through my pregnancy.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia