Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Questions about clomid

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Questions about clomid

Postby jean » Mon Mar 14, 2011 07:31 pm

by jean (675 Posts), Mon Mar 14, 2011 07:31 pm

1. Do they only prescribe it to ppl who don't ovulate regularly (or is it ever prescribed for ppl who ovulate, but just don't seem to be getting pregnant?)

2. Does using it raise your risk for pre-e/hellp like invitro does?

3. Does using it make you go into menopause earlier b/c your body is using up eggs faster? (Does it still only use once a month, or does clomid make it release a whole bunch of them? Sorry if that's a stupid question!)
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Re: Questions about clomid

Postby riehlism » Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:06 pm

by riehlism (655 Posts), Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:06 pm

I'll answer the best I know. I was on Clomid myself...although I didn't get pregnant on Clomid. It seems I ovulated on my own. But that's another story.

It is not just reserved for those who do not ovulate regularly. Many women ovulate regularly, but ovulation may occur at different times with each cycle so that little egg may be harder to catch. However, some physicians may be more conservative and will request you try naturally for x amount of time before going to Clomid.

I do not believe it raises your risk for PE/HELLP. Clomid does not stay in your system very long (a few days I believe). Clomid is not something you take every day until you get pregnant. You take one pill a day for 5 days at cycle 3, 4, or 5, depending on what your doctor thinks is best.

The average female has about 400,000 eggs by the time of her first period. Running out of eggs isn't really a concern. A side effect of Clomid is that it can mature multiple follicles and therefore release more than just one egg. However, a good OB or Reproductive Endo will monitor the maturing follicles via ultrasound.

I hope that helps!
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Postby sam10 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:40 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Mon Mar 14, 2011 08:40 pm

I was put on Clomid a few years ago when I could not conceive naturally after trying for one year. I did not help me get pregnant at all, as I did not conceive while using it. My doctors warned me that the likelihood of multiples is higher when using Clomid. The one side effect that I hated most were my mood swings, it was unbearable. As far as I know it can also negatively influence uterine lining.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:34 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:34 pm

Clomid can negatively affect uterine lining *and* it often creates hostile cervical mucus, so it's really not a great choice if you don't need help ovulating. I was on clomid and femara, the femara is much better for fertility, IMO, because it doesn't cause the lining and cervical mucus issues that clomid often causes, and it's more likely to only send out one mature egg each cycle. (Clomid has about a 10% risk of twins.)

If you've been TTC 6 months or more with well timed intercourse (once or twice in a fertile period), it's not out of the question to go in and start inquiring about fertility testing. At the very least, some hormone testing for you (bloodwork), and a semen analysis for DH. Most *good* obgyn's aren't opposed to start basic testing after 6 months of TTC with good timing, if there are other issues going on, it makes sense for them to help you figure that out sooner than later.

Any ART has been associated with an increased risk of pre-e, but that doesn't really mean it's a cause/effect type thing. I think the theory is that women prone to fertility problems are more likely to have pre-e, they don't really know why but it goes back to implantation and everything. For what it's worth, with my first pregnancy our daughter was conceived naturally, I had HELLP at 23 weeks. This time, I was on femara, plus an HCG trigger (this makes you ovulate in a specific 24-40 hour time frame), and we did IUI (insemination) the cycle that I got pregnant, and I've made it 7 weeks farther (now at 30 weeks, no issues). So, I wouldn't stress too much about an increased pre-e risk with clomid/etc., just based on my experience and what I've seen of the research.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby jean » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 am

by jean (675 Posts), Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 am

Thanks for the info! I've never heard of femara before...hmmm..

What does clomid do to the uterus lining, and how does that affect pregnancies? (Just curious)

I haven't talked to our OB yet, but I'm just feeling frustrated. Maybe I will contact him soon.
Our first son was born and passed in Feb of 2010. Born at 29 weeks due to HELLP and passed due to NEC. We miss him every day. :~(

Our second son was born at 39 weeks gestation in Nov of 2011. No HELLP or pre-e! Took LDA starting at week 12 and went off of it at week 38!

http://findingtherainbowconnection.blogspot.com/
jean

Postby sam10 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 02:17 pm

by sam10 (1437 Posts), Sat Mar 19, 2011 02:17 pm

As far as I know Clomid can thin out the uterine lining, which can have a negative effect on implantation. If the uterine lining gets too thin a fertilized egg cannot implant. But this does not happen for all women. It is just one of the known side effects. I was also put on femara at one point, which was more tolerable for me.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia