Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Progesterone after ovulation

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Progesterone after ovulation

Postby danielsmom » Thu Mar 24, 2011 08:36 pm

by danielsmom (290 Posts), Thu Mar 24, 2011 08:36 pm

I hope this doesn't scare you women... you've got enough to worry about! But in a nutshell, we most likely had a rare form of ectopic pregnancy in the cornua (between the fallopian tube and the uterus, but on the uterus side). We had a heartbeat at 6+ weeks, but at 8+ weeks it was gone. I had a D&C yesterday, which I must be very complimentary of because I've had no pain and have taken no pain meds. I barely had any bleeding afterwards too. This is my 3rd miscarriage around this same gestation, and my 3rd D&C.

I am sad about this loss, but looking forward. I still want to try again. In my 4 pregnancies, I've always had REALLY low progesterone, and started supplements between 4-6 weeks, the earliest at 4w5d with Daniel. I'm thinking I have a real luteal phase dysfunction because of my history, pre-e, IUGR, and short cycles. Has anyone started progesterone right after ovulation with luck?
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Re: Progesterone after ovulation

Postby riehlism » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 pm

by riehlism (655 Posts), Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:13 pm

I think I discussed earlier that probably some time after ovulation I was placed on Provera, which is a type of progesterone. The Provera was used to induce a period since I had not gotten one. After my positive I was on intravaginal Prometrium to bump up my progesterone. So I think it saved this pregnancy. I am 8 weeks and so far everything is looking textbook.

I hope there are some other ladies out there who can share something. I was curious about progesterone a few months ago.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Re: Progesterone after ovulation

Postby danielsmom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 09:18 pm

by danielsmom (290 Posts), Tue Apr 05, 2011 09:18 pm

Had my post op appt today and hit doc up about luteal phase defects, reminding him about our history with low progesterone 4 out of 4 pregnancies, IUGR, and short cycles. He said that it can be really tough to confirm diagnosis because it involves 2 perfectly timed painful endometrial biopsies (which I knew and I'm not interested in that), but he thought it may be an issue. I asked if we can just try the progesterone earlier, like right after ovulation, and even if we don't get pregnant - so what - we'll try again. He was a little surprised I'd be willing to do that, and advocated the pill form of progesterone to make it more convenient for me. It doesn't absorb as well as the intravaginal, but should be ok until I get the + test.

I want to wait 3 months, but I feel good about this plan when we try to TTC again. I'm signing a 6 month contract to work this week, and I don't want to work after 20 weeks of pregnancy... plus this will give me some time to heal and get into better pre-pregnancy shape.
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia