Green light

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Green light

Postby trish9 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 05:02 pm

Well I got the official green light from my MFM today and the OB and nephrologist are all on board. My MFM was not entirely sold on the idea of putting me on Lovenox, but she is going to review the literature that I brought in and she said that she would consider starting a low dose once I would get pregnant. She feels that it is pretty much a certainty that I will get pre-eclampsia again, we just can't predict if it will be early again or later. :( I am bummed to hear that, but know that it is reality. She did reassure me that they would be watching me like a hawk and start monitoring growth scans really early. I am excited about TTC finally - but at the same time completely scared about all the bad possibilities!!
Trish
Pre-eclampsia and HELLP at 23 weeks +2 days
My little love Alexander. Born and passed on January 3rd, 2010.
Underlying disorders: IgA nephropathy, chronic hypertension and Hashimoto's thyroiditis
trish9

Re: Green light

Postby riehlism » Mon Mar 28, 2011 08:21 pm

Congratulations! Many physicians are actually opposed to Lovenox. So your MFM wouldn't be the only skeptical one. My MFM said baby aspirin was fine. He said we would Lovenox, if needed. But due to the risk to the baby Lovenox has, plus the fact that solid research on it has yet to be published, he opted for the baby aspirin with the option to add Lovenox as needed.

So I am currently on baby aspirin (which I started even prior to TTC), prenatals, metformin (for PCOS), vitamin D, and extra folic acid.

Good luck on the TTC train.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Postby kerisue » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Congratulations on getting the Image !
I'm hoping to get the same thing next month (fingers crossed). Baby dust for you
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby holly3372@msn.com » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Was wondering what the risks to the baby lovenox has? I have seen 2 MFM's 2 Ob's and 2 Hematologists. All have said something different. LDA only,LDA and Lovenox,just Lovenox! Yikes confusing!! My history is severe preeclampsia IUGR had baby Boy Benjamin at 26 weeks lived 4 months in the nicu and then passed. I have no clotting disorder (that they have a test for anyway I have been tested for everyone they have including autoimune) no prior misscarriage or DVT's. This was my only pregnancy....just don't know what to do before TTC
Benjamin Spider Reeves born 4-28-2010( 1lb 6oz 26 weeks to severe pre-e and Iugr) we lost you after 4 long months in the NICU. You fought so hard,and were so brave.Our first baby .We miss you everyday and love you forever xo

Expecting ,dreaming, and hoping for our baby Girl sometime in January 2013
holly3372@msn.com

Postby riehlism » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 am

I know that at least one risk is bleeding out/hemorrhaging for the baby. I think there are other risks as well, but that information escapes me for now. I think my MFM and hematologist are less inclined to go with the Lovenox because solid evidence has yet to be found. Anecdotal findings, yes, but solid research is yet to be determined in their eyes.

Due to the anecdotal evidence, it's not something they are crossing off their list. It's not just high up at the moment.

Keri, good luck on your next appt. I hope you get the green light soon!
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Postby trish9 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 05:08 pm

My understanding was that Lovenox does not cross the placenta into baby's circulation, so it wouldn't affect his/her clotting, it would just thin mom's blood making it less likely to clot in the placenta. The downsides that my MFM outlined were theoretical risk of bleeding at the implantation site or more serious hemorrhage if I were to have an abruption, develop HELLP, or require emergent c-section. The other consideration for me in favor of Lovenox is that I spill quite a bit of protein due to my kidney disease which can put me at risk of clotting if the proteinuria gets high enough.....so the benefits may still outweigh the risks of bleeding. I don't think anyone has the "right" answer, so I guess the decision has to be made for each patient.
Trish
Underlying disorders: IgA nephropathy, chronic hypertension and Hashimoto's thyroiditis
trish9

Postby trish9 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 05:09 pm

Kerisue - hope you get good news at your next visit! :)
Trish
trish9

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia