Post Reply FAQ Members Login

new to site,need advice please

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

new to site,need advice please

Postby nickchels » Wed Mar 30, 2011 03:24 pm

by nickchels (3 Posts), Wed Mar 30, 2011 03:24 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to the site but have found more useful info here than anywhere else online,I am hoping to give my backstory and get some advice as well as some help with abriviations and such that everyone uses. We are wanting to try again but fear plays a big factor. First off, we had a healthy baby girl only one week early in 2008 due to pe. I was diagnosed with pe in my 36 or 37th week, but i feel it may have been present before that and just overlooked. I had a severe uti around 34 weeks, that i feel may have been an indicator of my pe, also I had pains under my right rib cage much earlier than that in my pregnancy but i am not for sure when. I had a long and pretty hard labor, and my pe got much worse after delivery. I was put on magnesium and bp meds and was in the hospital for nearly a week after,scaring me and my husband half to death. I had never had a real health problem before and it def has taken a tole on my mental health as well. I had anxiety and panic attacks after,which are now much better,with out the use of meds. I understand my risks, but I am wondering if you all know how high my risks are and what steps i should take right now? I have an apt with my ob on the 28 of april,thats the soonest I can get in,they are always booked, but I dont feel confident in them. They are the ones who noticed my pe (not my original ob who was treating me durring pregnancy) but they are kind of cold and not to reasurring,not to mention always super busy. Are there any tests I should have done,or any other doctors I should see? I live in a pretty small town where even obs are scarce so it worries me a bit. The only up side to help my fears a bit is that I live just blocks from a hospital lol. Also, im scared i would have to have bed rest and with a toddler I would hate it for her,i love her to much to hurt her in any way. Such a confusing and tough time....

Thanks everyone!
Chelsea

Ps- what is mfm,Lda,lovenox?
pps- should I tt ob or fam dr about baby asprin?
nickchels

Re: new to site,need advice please

Postby riehlism » Wed Mar 30, 2011 06:27 pm

by riehlism (655 Posts), Wed Mar 30, 2011 06:27 pm

Hi Chelsea, an MFM is a maternal-fetal-medicine OB, aka perinatologist, aka high risk OB. These are OBs who specialize in the health of the mom and the fetus. LDA is low dose aspirin, aka baby aspirin. Lovenox is an injectable blood thinner, low molecular weight heparin to be exact. Preeclampsia has connections with blood clotting. Mom may have an underlying blood clotting problem. However, many of us here have tested negative for all blood clotting problems.

My providers have also told me that while no blood clotting problems have been found, it doesn't necessarily mean I don't have one. I just tested negative for all the available tests. New blood disorders are being found daily, but the tests to isolate them (and understand them) are lacking. I like to say that I don't have a blood clotting disorder...yet.

The immediate question we all like to ask is, will it happen again and how bad will it get if it does? Sometimes I feel we ask this because we desperately want someone to tell us it will be fine the next time. Truthfully, we just don't know. A lot of the active posters here have reported better second pregnancies with interventions discussed by her and her providers. Similarly, there are ladies here who have have worse subsequent pregnancies.

You can talk to your OB about baby aspirin. However, I do suggest you speak with an MFM as well. Your average OB is usually less equipped (in experience and knowledge) about ladies like us when compared to an MFM.

Keep reading stuff on this site. It's a great educational resource to prepare yourself for what's to come.

Welcome to the Forums.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Re: new to site,need advice please

Postby nickchels » Thu Mar 31, 2011 00:16 am

by nickchels (3 Posts), Thu Mar 31, 2011 00:16 am

Thanks, I think you are def right about the comfort thing. I wouldn't even know where the nearest high risk doc would be but I will tt my ob at my apt coming up. I guess it's just a tough decision that no one can make for you, or really help you make. But I have faith that God will lead us in the right direction, thanks for reply and thanks everyone for great info on site
nickchels

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia