Finding an MFM

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Finding an MFM

Postby cmccaffrey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 06:31 pm

How do you tell one doctor that you have decided to see or go with another doctor? Does that even make sense? I met with one high risk doctor and now I am meeting with another next Friday. Is it weird to shop around like this? I feel like I am two-timing the doctor that I have already met with. It's not that there is anything wrong with him per say, but I just want to make sure I have the right doctor before I am pregnant.

What do you think?
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Re: Finding an MFM

Postby fineolin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 07:02 pm

You are doing what you have to do to assure a safe pregnancy for you and your baby. Do not worry about the doctor's feelings, this is about you.
Marjorie (39)
Miscarriage at 8 weeks (2006)
Had to terminate pregnancy at 22.5 weeks, July 2010 , due to Pre-e.
Miss my baby girl, Hailey rose everyday. I will never give up.
Pregnant again, due in July. Dear God, I leave it in your hands. I feel so blessed.
Miscarried at 8.5 weeks. Devastated and Sad.
fineolin

Postby riehlism » Fri Apr 01, 2011 08:47 pm

Christi, did you see Dr. ***** or is that going to be your second MFM shopping appt? My first appt with Dr. ***** is April 27 (at 7:30 pm!) where I will be 13 weeks.

I've decided to work with my current OB with follow ups from my MFM. I've considered switching to just an MFM...but my OB is so good. He's come recommended from my other providers. When they ask who my OB is and I tell them, they tell me I really lucked out. So I feel like I am in good hands with him, but kind of want to buy some insurance with my MFM...who works in the same clinic as my OB.

Good luck with the MFM hunting.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Postby cmccaffrey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 09:16 pm

Thanks, fineolin! Hopefully it will be an easy decision and I will be able to confidently make a decision and not feel guilty about it.

Jasmin, Dr. ***** is my "shopping" appointment. I see him next Friday at 8pm (apparently the office is open until 11pm?!?!?!). I spoke with the other MFM today, the one that I already met with, and I am starting to feel guilty for planning an appointment with someone else, like I am cheating on him or something and I am not even pregnant yet... sheesh. I need to decide on an MFM because that will give me a chance to decide on an obstetrician (unless I go with the new guy and don't need one after all). The receptionist told me to be prepared for a 1 to 3 hour wait. I guess I will bring my laptop and troll the preeclampsia forum while I wait. hahaha

Good luck at your appointment!
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby sam10 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:07 pm

You need to feel comfortable and need to trust your MFM with your life! Go shop around, doctors know that we do that!
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia