cycle and ovulation confusion

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

cycle and ovulation confusion

Postby alimarie » Sat Jul 10, 2004 01:15 pm

hey guys. i am really trying to understand all this talk about cd's and what not. my question is this....is it possible to have a 25-27 day cycle but not ovulate in the middle of that? but instead ovulate around day 20 or whatever? very confusing. i've always assumed you ovulated during the middle of your cycle...however many days it is. is this not correct? can you actually o at anytime during that cycle?

i would really like to figure it all out so we can bd at the right time for number two!!

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)
alimarie

Re : cycle and ovulation confusion

Postby 5thtymachrm » Sat Jul 10, 2004 02:00 pm

Ali..go check out www.fertilityfriend.com for some better explanations... :o)

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03:37wks, PIH
ttc #2 is a go!
5thtymachrm

Postby tracey » Sat Jul 10, 2004 02:37 pm

Hi AliMarie,
Often you will hear/read as well that women "generally" ovulate 14 days before their period is due, whether they have the "typical" 28-day schedule or not. But here is my own experience: in my last pregnancy, my cycles were always 23-24 days in length. I used an Ovulation Predictor Kit to find out, when, in fact, I would ovulate. I got a positive with these tests on day 9 of my cycle (which meant that I should have ovulated within 24-36 hours). So I suppose in that cycle it did so happen that I ovulated approximately 14 days before my period was due (we were pregnant that first try). I happen to think that was just coincidence. [:I]
This time, since I delivered, my cycles have been all over the place, ranging from 23-28 days over the past few months, (and never the same length twice). Again, I used an OPK to try to make some sense of when "it" could be happening, and this time I got a positive on day 6!
So, based only on what I have read, and this experience, (and I'm no expert on the subject !), it seems entirely possible for your ovulation to occur days away from mid-cycle.
I'm sure someone will come along here soon with more input for you. My advice is, if you have the money, you might want to invest in an Ovulation Predictor Kit, (if you haven't already). Some women have great luck with it, others not so much.
I hope you are able to find some answers, and the TTC all works out well for you!

Tracey
mother to angel Ila Elizabeth (February 6, 2004), 25w2d

currently TTC number 2

tracey

Postby maxs mom » Sat Jul 10, 2004 09:19 pm

AliMarie,
I have the opposite problem, my cycles are anywhere from 30-50 days. And it was just yesterday I saw my OB, and he said that 13-16 days from when you ovulate, you always get AF, however, just because you get AF doesn't mean you ovulated. Which in my case is probably true. Basically, since my cycles are so long, at some point I have too much build up and my body has to let it go, so I have what is called anovulatory cycle -- meaning AF w/o an egg release.

So basically in your case, if your cycle is 25-27 days, you are probably O'ing between day 9 and day 14. That's a big window, so as suggested, I think you should do the OPK too.

Oh, and by the way. If there is a stressful event in your life around time of O, you may have a delayed egg release and a longer cycle, which makes it all the more difficult to figure out if you O'd or not. I would really recommend you buy the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" It is a great book. And you should pick up charting too.

HTH,
Kara

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/
maxs mom

Postby julie f » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:09 am

AliMarie,

I can't add to much to what the others have already said but, just wanted to let you know I tend to ovulate a little later in my cycle, around CD 16 or 17 I think. (Based on CM)

On thing that TCOYF says is that a short luteal phase (less than 10 post-ovulatory days without any bleeding) can cause issues for the egg trying to "stick." So, if you O on CD 20 and then have AF on CD 25-27, it could cause issues when TTC.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby sjs40 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:51 am

HI
Due to pcos I have had various infertility issues for years. I was always tested for ovulation by the hospital on cd 14 give or take and my results without fail came back negative.

When Chris and I decided to try we were told to have ovulation tests for 3 months and if nothing happened I would be prescribed Clomid again. Well, I had 3 negative tests so I got the prescription for Clomid and waited for day 1 so I could take it on appropriate days. Day 1 never came....eventually I took a test and Ellie was on the way Our little miracle!

My lmp was 3 Jan 2003 but when I was scanned at 8wks my due date was adjusted from 13 Oct to 23 Oct indicating that I had ovulated later in my almost regular 28 day cycle. For years they have been testing me too early!!!

Hope all goes well for you

Sue

Sue (40)
Chris (37)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
24 July 03 - 20 August 03
sjs40

Postby alimarie » Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:36 am

wow. this stuff is so confusing. thanks girls for all the input. i don't know why i bother with all this counting and all because i firmly believe that i will not have another baby until the Lord wants me to. i guess i am a control freak and have been trying to make it happen for myself. hopefully it won't be too much longer. my patience is at times lacking!

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)
alimarie

Postby steelsword328 » Sun Jul 11, 2004 02:16 pm

AliMarie

I totally understand what you're talking about when you speak of being a "control freak" I want it to happen when I WANT IT....but I have to remember to be patient and let the Lord do his work. I ditto what everyone else has said. I'm not totally sure about when I ovulate although my cycles have become more regular. I will start Clomid in another month or two if I don't get pg. I had to take Clomid before to conceive my dd Alyssa.
Best of luck to you!!

Renee mom to Alyssa-26wkr-1lb 4oz.-severe PE-now a happy and healthy 2 year old!
TTC#2!!!!
steelsword328

Postby alimarie » Tue Jul 13, 2004 07:07 am

i may ask the dr. today about clomid since i am not sure what is happening with my body. i have an appt. today so i hope to have some questions answered. we shall see.

alimarie

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia