Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Trying after Multiples (triplets)

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Trying after Multiples (triplets)

Postby zaylah » Mon Jun 13, 2011 05:33 am

by zaylah (1 Posts), Mon Jun 13, 2011 05:33 am

I got preeclampsia at 28 weeks and had my triplet girls within 12 hours of diagnosis.

I was wanting to know if I have a high chance of preeclampsia again if I was only pregnant with a singleton this time rather than triplets (so only 1/3rd of the hormone levels!)

Does anyone have any idea or have been through this?

zaylah

Re: Trying after Multiples (triplets)

Postby aajatwins » Mon Jun 13, 2011 07:58 am

by aajatwins (476 Posts), Mon Jun 13, 2011 07:58 am

I'm not sure if anyone else on here has tried again after multiples, but I'm pregnant with a singleton right now after having my twin boys 2 years ago. With the twin boys, my BP was up a little almost immediately and crept up slowly the entire 36 weeks. My pressures are normally really low, and this time around they are super low! Evidently, what's supposed to happen in pregnancy is for BP to go down in the beginning and then around the halfway mark, it's supposed to climb slowly back up to normal. I'm definitely seeing that this time. (I'm 20 weeks, but actually haven't seen an increase yet.)

I know that PE is placenta related, but I've been wondering lately if multiples only increases the risk because of the major increase in blood volume. That would be a question for Caryn (she's our resident scientist & understands this thing really well - not me!)!
Anna (28) - endometriosis
Hubby (27)
Aidan & Jordan - 7.2.09 at 36 weeks. Induction turned emergency c-section due to eclampsia. big healthy toddlers today!
Asa - 10.23.11 at 39 weeks. NO hypertensive issues!! successful VBAC :)
aajatwins
Forum Moderator

Re: Trying after Multiples (triplets)

Postby caryn » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:26 am

by caryn (10124 Posts), Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:26 am

I'm only one of the resident sciency gals. :D

Multiples raise risk because there are more placentas, and so there are more ways for things about placentas to break and there's simply more placental mass and sometimes the placentas are carrying different genes and so your body is hosting *two* or *three* foreign organs instead of just one. A lot of preeclampsia seems to come from the immune response to the foreign organ.

What has your MFM said about your odds this time? I'd think your risk would be quite a bit lower.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia