by Aidensmommy212 (14 Posts), Sun Jun 26, 2011 04:24 pm
I went to the hospital on Tuesday to have my appointment with the MFM that I saw during some of my hospital stay. Going back to see that doctor, in that hospital, on that floor was incredibly tough but I braved through it because I needed questions answered and to hear her opinion on what happened with me. It was called a "pre-conception visit" although we are not ready to try quite yet (it has only been 4 months and is still pretty fresh for both of us).
Anyways, I brought a list of questions and concerns with me that I compiled from these boards and then just sat and listened to what she had to say. Some of what she said was not surprising but some of it left me shocked and not sure what to make of it. Here's what was covered:
- She said that I would not need to have any blood tests done before conceiving again because they were all done while I was in the hospital and they all came back negative. The only blood test I would need would be as soon as I got pregnant again to use as a baseline for my liver enzymes and platelet numbers.
- Having discussed my case with her, she disagreed with some of her collegues and said that I absolutely DID NOT have HELLP Syndrome. I had been questioning that all along, I just wasn't sure what to make of it (I never had the "H" show up). She really insisted that you need all of the letters to classify as having HELLP.
- She called my case "Severe Pre-eclampsia" even though my blood pressure only hit 140/90 twice and I never had any protein show up in my urine.
- When I asked about how long to wait to try again after having a Classical C-Section, she told me 18 months! Seems like a very long time to me...and also, my OB told me that I should wait about 8 months. That's a HUGE difference.
- I asked what my care would look like the next time I got pregnant and she was very...laid back....about it I guess. She basically told me that I could go on LDA "if I wanted to" because Aiden had IUGR. Other than that, nothing would really change. She would see me along with my OB "if I wanted her to" but she said no bed rest, no taking my blood pressure at home, and that she would let me go full term if I made it that far. This probably shocked me the most about the visit.
I want to be as proactive about my health as possible next time so I feel like I need a 2nd opinion. I know that other drugs are not guaranteed to work (ie. Lovenox), but I feel like it would honestly make me feel better to be doing SOMETHING. I am looking into going to see a different MFM soon and see what he has to say. I feel like if he tells me something different, I won't even know what to do with ANOTHER opinion (whose word do you take on what?). Anyways, any advice/experience that you might have would be really appreciated! Thanks so much!
Last edited by Aidensmommy212
on Sun Jun 26, 2011 07:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikki (28) & hubby Blaine (40)
Mommy to Aiden Blaine - 15 oz./10.5 in. w/ IUGR
Born 2/12/11 @ 24+1 weeks due to Severe PE & HELLP
Lived 10 days, loved and missed more than words can say