Post Reply FAQ Members Login

questions for MFM

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

questions for MFM

Postby jend01 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:45 am

by jend01 (375 Posts), Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:45 am

Made my mfm appointment for my pre-conception counseling! They couldn't get me in until the end of August :( I will not be waiting that long to "try again" though lol! I have an apt with my ob/gyn next Friday and will get as much info from her as I can, therapy apt to get off Zoloft same day, still need to make an apt with my nephrologists about switching and monitoring my BP meds! Probably should see my neurologist as well! WOW, so much to do and I am not even pregnant yet!!

So what kind of questions should I ask? (Is there a Iist anywhere on this site?) I am making a list:

Risks of staying on Zoloft? (I may need a low dose, not sure I would be comfortable enough not too without wild panic attacks)
Can I take xanax as needed if I do get off the Zoloft?

Baby aspirin Risks, benefits?

I was anemic in my last pregnancy; do I need to start taking iron, folic acid?

I was on prometrium for the first trimester in my last pregnancy, should that be repeated?

Should I start any special diet?

According to my last labs, I have trace amounts of protein in my urine still. Nephrologists says I have some kidney scarring from the eclampsia, should I do regular urine test starting early because of this?

Does bed rest really help?
DS July 8th 2008 36+weeks
-No signs, no symptoms, Severe PE led to HELLP and eclampsia. My wonderful doctors saved my life based on a large weight gain between appointments!
-chronic hypertensive and PTSD, doing well on meds :)
07/11 - TTC :)
jend01

Re: questions for MFM

Postby princesspurr » Thu Jul 14, 2011 06:58 pm

by princesspurr (39 Posts), Thu Jul 14, 2011 06:58 pm

I would ask about exercise program, how they will monitor you, any other supplements you should take before and during the pregnancy. I'm kinda of in the same boat, I'm going to my normal OBGYN on the 29th and seeing what they refer me to do. I don't plan to start trying until November though. I want to drop a few more pounds and start taking what ever they think I should take (extra folic acid etc). Good luck!
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
princesspurr

Postby riehlism » Thu Jul 14, 2011 09:12 pm

by riehlism (655 Posts), Thu Jul 14, 2011 09:12 pm

I would ask about his/her thoughts on Lovenox shots. A lot of us ladies here do the baby aspirin and lovenox thing. So far, we're doing great. I think the trend is to do baby aspirin at the very least. And it seems that docs are more open to using Lovenox. The idea of giving yourself a daily shot isn't great. But really, it's not that bad. Also, I do not have any underlying blood clotting disorders so you do not need to have one to reap the benefit of Lovenox.
Jasmin: Severe PE/HELLP and delivered at 24+6 & PCOS (29) Hubby Bubby, Frank (29)
Baby Blue stopped in to say hello and goodbye on 6/3/10
Baby Lucas was born on 10/13/11, PE and HELLP-free! Thank you baby aspirin and Lovenox
http://www.ehd.org/pregnancy-calendar.php?id=18192
riehlism

Postby blythe » Mon Jul 18, 2011 00:35 am

by blythe (3060 Posts), Mon Jul 18, 2011 00:35 am

Jasmin, if I'm remembering right your MFM didn't start you on Lovenox, and at first didn't think he would use it, then he saw something in your pregnancy progression (around 12 weeks?) that made him think it became appropriate for you. Could you say more about those circumstances? It's important to me to point out the research and the expert opinions that are less enthusiastic about anticoagulants, but I also don't want to miss something that is developing "in the wild" that is fodder for future research - and for other women to compare their situations to. So what was it about your particular case that led your doctor to prescribe Lovenox?

Jen, I'm very interested in what your MFM says to your questions! You can also search the archives and the Ask the Experts forum for similar questions / answers, or even ask them one at a time and see what our current members' experiences have been. Good luck!!
Heather, mom to
#1 7-18-03 - 5#8oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#2 8-11-06 - 6#14oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
#3 9-10-09 - 5#10oz 37 weeks PE/PIH
blythe

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia