Hello

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
rhodges

Hello

Postby rhodges » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:52 am

My name is Becky and I am also a survivor of pre-eclampsia. I delivered my first child at 34 weeks after lots of signs from as early as 18 weeks that PE was heading my way. I know I am lucky that we made it as far as we did, and even more fortunate that despite some bumps on the road for the first few months of life, my daughter is healthy. She is 17 months now and is my entire world. Despite the trauma of her arrival, I would go through it all over again because she has brought more joy to my life than I could possibly imagine.

After 17 months, I am now off blood pressure medication, though my pressures are far from ideal. We had always planned on having our children two years apart. To prepare for this, I exercise, eat right, and am at a healthy weight. I have met with a MFM doctor and a nephrologist for a pre-conception visit. After both visits, the doctors seemed confident to handle another pregnancy. I was very ready until this month...the month we were supposed to start trying. I am chickening out, I think. I keep having flash backs of NICU and watching my ankles swell up knowing it was not normal. This time....I have a little girl who has suffered enough from this disease and I don't want her to affected one bit from this. Nobody can promise me that won't happen.

I have talked to my husband but he really doesn't understand why I want to postpone this. He says I will still feel this way in a year because the reality of pre-eclampsia is that it will take the joy out of pregnancy until the baby is safe in our arms. Has anybody else gone through this? I do want another child...and I want a sibling for Maisyn. I'm just having a hard time understanding these feelings. Thanks for listening.

Becky
mother to Maisyn 2-11-10 born at 34 weeks
6 weeks stay in NICU

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”