New here with some question and an introduction

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

New here with some question and an introduction

Postby lucyann_k » Thu Jul 15, 2004 02:27 pm

Hey, my name is Annaleese Kennedy. I am trying for #2 and am kinda nervous about it. I developed pre-e during my 24 week and they put me on bed rest. Then by blood pressure got really high 177/110. They put me in the hospital of bed rest. In the begining of my 30 week my platelet count droped below 100. I was rushed to an emergency C-section. My son lived 2.5 months. He passed away from an infection called NEC. My doctors told me that I had a 70% chance of getting Pre-Eclampsia again, but he did say that it would be worth me trying again. Can someone tell me what experence they had on the second pregnacy. What did you do different, or if you are trying again what has your doctor told you would be done differently. Thanks for any answers.

TTC #2
William J. Kennedy
12/15/02 - 2/4/03
Born 10 Weeks Early Pre-E
lucyann_k

Re : New here with some question and an introduction

Postby for faith » Thu Jul 15, 2004 03:11 pm

Annaleese ~ Wow, do we have similar stories. My daughter was born at 30 weeks (via c-section) after several weeks of high BP, days on mag and liver issues. She passed due to NEC also at 25 days old in January. I am going to be TTC next cycle and have a meeting with a peri next week. I would recommend a meeting with a peri to make sure there aren't underlying issues and to discuss how they will manage your pregnancy, also getting some baseline readings to judge the future (all things I have learned through this site). My personal thoughts no matter what the dr says, is to trust my own instincts if I am not feeling well to go to the dr and have things checked out; put myself on bedrest even if the dr doesn't. Also going to demand extra testing when I get into the 3rd trimester, like 24 hour urine and labs to try prolong things if PE happens again.

I know others here and info on this site will be great help to you. Let me know any time you want to talk, hopefully we will both get our +++ really soon and able to take our babies home with us in 2005. All the best.

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH)
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC & Sepsis(preemie complications))

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 9/02
for faith

Postby julie f » Thu Jul 15, 2004 04:00 pm

Annaleese,

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my son last year as well after he was born at 26 weeks. It is just the most horrible thing and I am so sorry.

TTC #2 for us was pretty scary but, also something we knew we wanted to do from the moment we first held our son. Like Jill suggested, I'd definitely get in a preconception consult with a high-risk OB. There are numerous underlying disorders that can increase preeclampsia risks that I'm sure they'll want to test you for. Also, they'll be able to sit down with you and help you work out a "game plan" for the next pregnancy. One of the most important things is finding a doctor whom you can really trust and who you're absolutely comfortable with.

So far, (knock on wood) all is going well with this pregnancy. The only thing I am doing different is taking an extra 1mg of folic acid, 1200mg of calcium and one baby aspirin per day (in addition to my prenatals). That, and a whole lot more praying this time...

I am glad you have found us but, so sorry that it was under these circumstances. I wish you the best of luck in TTC #2. Please keep us posted.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby tracey » Thu Jul 15, 2004 06:23 pm

Hi Annaleese
First off, let me say I am so sorry for your loss.
I lost my first and only child, a daughter, earlier this year. I developed pe and HELLP Syndrome and she had to be delivered at 25w2d.
My husband and I just started trying again this cycle. I would definitely echo the advice given to you by Jill and Julie and book a pre-conception visit with a high-risk OB. It really helped boost our confidence enough to try again. In our case, our peri sat down and actually wrote out our "game plan" for us: when we would start certain supplements, and when other potential things might come into play. This really helped to ease my mind -- you have no idea how many times I have pulled out that piece of paper just to have another look. [:I]
Again, as Julie said, there are some underlying disorders they can test you for, which may help to make more sense of what happened to you -- or that added info may even alter your doctor's view on your recurrence rate.

Wishing you the best as you TTC. Please keep us updated.

Tracey
mother to angel Ila Elizabeth (February 6, 2004), 25w2d

currently TTC number 2
tracey

Postby tanya » Thu Jul 15, 2004 07:42 pm

Annalese,

I am so sorry you are meeting us under such sad circumstances. I think the other ladies have covered everything I could have thought of so I will just welcome you. Hoping to hear more about you.

Take Care,
Tanya
Jason(DH)
Leah born 2/4/99 at 34 weeks ...PIH
Miscarriage 10 weeks
Grant born 3/29/01 at 31 weeks... Severe PE
Miracle #3 EDD 01/27/05
tanya

Postby megansmom » Thu Jul 15, 2004 07:46 pm

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the loss of your little one. This is such a strange and mysterious disease. As the others have said, get the tests done just in case you have an underlying condition. If you are not comfortable with your doctor, find one that you like. Follow your instinct, it serves you really well. And last but not least, welcome to the boards. We are all so glad you found us! Take care of yourself and keep us updated on how you are doing.

~Amanda
Mama to Megan, severe PE with mild HELLP at 34 wks

Thinking about TTC later this year
megansmom

Postby lucyann_k » Fri Jul 16, 2004 09:53 am

Thank ya'll so much for your thoughts and information. I already went to my high risk OB. They took half the blood from my body and ran all the test. The only thing they found was Lupas, but the nurse said alot of people test positive that do not have it or get it. He also said that I would not come see him till I stared showing signs of the Pre-E coming. My regular OB said they will put me on bed rest in my 20th week. I was just wondering how that compared to what any body else was hearing.

Thanks
annaleese

TTC #2
William J. Kennedy
12/15/02 - 2/4/03
Born 10 Weeks Early Pre-E
lucyann_k

Postby for faith » Fri Jul 16, 2004 03:55 pm

That is great Annaleese, sounds like you are all set, great about the bedrest. I will let you know if I get anything else from my peri.

:)

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH)
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC & Sepsis(preemie complications))

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 9/02
for faith

Postby denise » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:42 am

I just wanted to add my welcomed Annaleese and to say I'm sorry about your loss. This place is an inspriation to me and everyone is very easy to talk with. I hope you find some answers with your OB. Keep us updated on your progress!

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/pre-e: 4 lbs, 17 1/2 inches

Will start TTC in October!!

http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby jenndola » Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:19 pm

Analeese,

Did the nurse say lupus or lupus anticoagulant? Just curious...there's a distinction there, and if she said a lot of people test positive who don't have it or get it, I'm wondering if it was actually lupus anticoagulant. It would be good to double check and find out.

Jenn
Angel Maggie stillborn due to HELLP Syndrome & PIH at 19.5 wks
Missed miscarriage/D&C 14 weeks
Miscarriage 6 weeks
Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
I'm putting my perinatologist's kids through college!
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia