Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Did losing weight reduce risk of PE again??

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Re: Did losing weight reduce risk of PE again??

Postby caryn » Thu Nov 17, 2011 09:49 pm

by caryn (10111 Posts), Thu Nov 17, 2011 09:49 pm

The data do show a reduction in risk. It is a small reduction, but substantially larger than the risk reduction from LDA. Most women aren't going to get PE again in any case, of course, but all of us seem to value interventions that give us *some* little control over this condition, and a small reduction in risk overall is still worth having (given around 350,000 preeclamptic pregnancies annually, a reduction in risk from 14% to 12% would eliminate around 7000 cases - of course most of those aren't second pregnancies.)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=40644 has more.

Also, exercise is still up in the air as a therapy, because of studies like this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19055653
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Did losing weight reduce risk of PE again??

Postby LauraBeck12 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 05:04 pm

by LauraBeck12 (41 Posts), Mon Apr 02, 2012 05:04 pm

tree wrote:
I would be happy to restart the weight loss buddies thread if there is some interest. It helped get me started. Good luck with your weight loss. I

I am on a weight loss/strength mission. I have seriously made it my main business to drop the weight and be as strong as possible for when it TTC time.
I would love to be in a weight loss buddy system with anyone else who is on the same kind of mission.
I started around Jan 15th and I have dropped about a lb a week, which is a pretty healthy and steady loss rate.
Let me know if anyone wants to buddy up with me!
Laura Beck, mother to Our most cherished Love - Our son- 8/1/11- 8/4/11
severe swelling and increased blood pressure started between 20-22 weeks. (ignored by medical professionals)
was finally clinically diagnosed with severe pre-e at 27 weeks.
spent 2 weeks in hospital.
He was born at 29 weeks, at exactly 2lbs. classical incision c-section.
He lived for 3 days in the NICU , autopsy said "lung failure" was cause of death.

http://clercbaby.blogspot.com/
LauraBeck12

Postby lisa112 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 08:55 pm

by lisa112 (18 Posts), Mon Apr 02, 2012 08:55 pm

After having severe PE and HELLP and losing my daughter to NEC in January I have also made it my mission to get myself back into the best physical and emotional state as possible before ttc again. I have made my health my top priority and joined a gym at the beginning of March, as well as eating much more healthy. I would love to buddy up with you and anyone else for extra support and cheering on!
Lisa, 31
Samantha Grace born 1/12/12 @ 30 + 3, 2lbs 2oz, severe PE with HELLP, IUGR
lived 17 days and passed due to complications after surgery because of NEC
lisa112

Postby tree » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 pm

by tree (819 Posts), Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:12 pm

I am about to leave on vacation, but I will try to start up weight loss buddies again some time in the next couple of weeks. The WLB thread lives in the miscellaneous forum. I will announce the start in the Ask the Experienced forum, and I will try to remember to post it here as well.
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby MLD0804 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:54 am

by MLD0804 (1 Posts), Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:54 am

LauraBeck12 wrote:
tree wrote:
I would be happy to restart the weight loss buddies thread if there is some interest. It helped get me started. Good luck with your weight loss. I

I am on a weight loss/strength mission. I have seriously made it my main business to drop the weight and be as strong as possible for when it TTC time.
I would love to be in a weight loss buddy system with anyone else who is on the same kind of mission.
I started around Jan 15th and I have dropped about a lb a week, which is a pretty healthy and steady loss rate.
Let me know if anyone wants to buddy up with me!

I am with you! I am currently about 25 lbs overweight and need to get the weight off before TTC (I would like to start this summer. I have already dropped 26 lbs, but I really feel like this is important before TTC. I had gestational hypertension diagnosed at 29 weeks and the Pre-e at 35. What scares me the is hypertension that started pretty early in the pregnancy. We are so ready for another baby but I am terrified of this happening again.
MLD0804

Postby LauraBeck12 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 02:25 pm

by LauraBeck12 (41 Posts), Sun Apr 08, 2012 02:25 pm

I finally got out of the "Obese" BMI and i joked by saying "YAY!! now I'm just grossly overweight ;P" haha! i have a VERY healthy view on my body image. It's all about strength and fighting the pre-e beast!
I was 28 years old and started having signs of pre-e at 22 weeks... my midwives and doctors kind of blew it off... my instincts would not allow it so i started researching and taking my own blood pressure.
I caught the disease from escalating to HELLP because my medical team was ignoring me, gaslighting me, treating me like i was an over concerned (over hormonal) pregnant woman.
Took myself to the hospital... i was finally diagnosed with severe pre-e, spent 2 weeks in the hospital, and gave birth to my son at 29.2 weeks.
He was small, only 2lbs (exactly). He lived for 3 days and then died in the NICU. I cherish those days even though they were hard- those were definitely the best 3 days of my life.

It was has been devastating to say the least.
So now pre-e keeps me active. I literally envision beating the crap out of pre-e when i exercise. It has taken so much from me and i am in training to not let it take anymore!!

I am 5'6 and i am at 184 lb.
I started at 197 in Jan... so 13lbs off.... 20-25lb more to go!!

Laura Beck, mother to Our most cherished Love - Our son- 8/1/11- 8/4/11
severe swelling and increased blood pressure started between 20-22 weeks. (ignored by medical professionals)
was finally clinically diagnosed with severe pre-e at 27 weeks.
spent 2 weeks in hospital.
He was born at 29 weeks, at exactly 2lbs. classical incision c-section.
He lived for 3 days in the NICU , autopsy said "lung failure" was cause of death.

LauraBeck12

Postby tree » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:30 am

by tree (819 Posts), Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:30 am

I just started the WLB thread for this week over in the Misc forum. Please join in if you are interested.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44673
Daughter born April 2009 at 35 weeks due to Class 1 HELLP
tree
Forum Moderator

Postby chippery » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:26 am

by chippery (13 Posts), Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:26 am

No. I had WLS just to challenge this question, and I'm running into Pre-E again on my 3rd pregnancy. It's just more unpredictable.
chippery

Postby caryn » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 am

by caryn (10111 Posts), Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:36 am

Even bariatric surgery just reduces the risk, but doesn't eliminate it. And man, that sucks.

What symptoms are you having now? Are they keeping a close eye on you and the little?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia