Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Assisted TTC (or "advanced" TTC as I like to call it)

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Assisted TTC (or "advanced" TTC as I like to call it)

Postby sam10 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 08:17 pm

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Fri Dec 09, 2011 08:17 pm

After a 2 months of testing and prodding and blood sampling, and waiting, today was the day! Our RE sat us down to talk about next steps. First of all, nothing is wrong, with neither me nor my husband. Which is good news, yet, so frustrating.Why, after 5 years of TTC, don't we have any living children? We fall into the category of "unexplained infertility", she says. Our sweet Henry is the one exception it seems, and hopefully won't remain one.
And yes, she tested EVERYTHING. I did not even know what this possibly could all entail. I am glad it is all done now. So, she proposed IVF with a single-embryo transfer (....ughh!) because my MFM (they are in the same hospital and know each other - I set that up, so all involved have access to all my data at all times) does not allow any multiples! So here we are, excited, yet exhausted and scared. Now the insurance needs to approve, then we'll have a mandatory class at the hospital and help from an assigned social workers who will accompany us for the ride! So, if all goes well, we'll start sometime in Jan/Feb. Until then, we are allowed to keep trying on our own. :D Still hoping to get away with the easy way! Keep your fingers crossed, my 2 week wait (after naturally TTC last month) is half way over.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Re: Assisted TTC (or "advanced" TTC as I like to call it)

Postby fineolin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 05:43 am

by fineolin (54 Posts), Sat Dec 10, 2011 05:43 am

Julia,

I was told the samething by my RE about single embryo transfer. Since I just miscarried, I need a little time
To process and grieve. But, I am not giving up. I have heard too many successful stories to give up.
For me IVF is expensive, and my insurance does not cover. Its a lot to think about. I wish you and your husband all
The best. We have to keep believing it will happen.
Marjorie (39)
Miscarriage at 8 weeks (2006)
Had to terminate pregnancy at 22.5 weeks, July 2010 , due to Pre-e.
Miss my baby girl, Hailey rose everyday. I will never give up.
Pregnant again, due in July. Dear God, I leave it in your hands. I feel so blessed.
Miscarried at 8.5 weeks. Devastated and Sad.
fineolin

Postby sam10 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 09:39 am

by sam10 (1441 Posts), Sat Dec 10, 2011 09:39 am

I am not done trying either, Majorie! Still hoping and trucking along. We are lucky, as in Massachusetts, infertility is paid for by insurance (but hey, let's see what our co-pay will be). In the meantime I researched IVF costs in Europe (I am originally from there), and they seem to be half of what they cost here. Same stuff. So, if I need to pay out of pocket, I have considered hopping over the pond.

I am so sorry for your loss, and having had two MCs myself, I know how devastating they can be. I hope you can recover soon, and will be ready for next steps.
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby kerisue » Sat Dec 10, 2011 07:47 pm

by kerisue (623 Posts), Sat Dec 10, 2011 07:47 pm

Oh my gosh I just got told the same thing by my RE too!! He recommended ivf bc the normal way isn't working- 39/40 year old ovaries will only "maybe" put out a good egg in a timely manner. They will only do single embryo too because my MFM says multiples would raise my PE risk too much. And of course one embryo instead of two means half the chance of actually getting pregnant. And it's sooooooo expensive. Boo! I'm trying to figure out what to do now. Good luck to you both.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby princesspurr » Tue Dec 13, 2011 07:50 pm

by princesspurr (39 Posts), Tue Dec 13, 2011 07:50 pm

Good luck guys! I'm not in that boat yet, but it took me two years to get pregnant the last time I was trying so I know how frustrating it is. My mom tried for TEN years before she had me. The docs couldn't find a thing wrong with, but she finally managed to have me and then my two brothers all three years apart :-) Stay positive!!!!
Val (32) & Carlos (30)
Married: April 29th 2011
Veronica Rosina, 11/25/2004-11/27/2004
Born at 26.5 weeks because of severe preeclampsia (doc says I was on my way to HELLP but not there yet)
princesspurr

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia