New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Seeing an MFM on Thursday!

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Re: Seeing an MFM on Thursday!

Postby MomTimesThree » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:53 am

I think those are great questions. And I am hopeful that having a specific plan written out will allow you to feel comfortable moving forward. We were terrified when it came to TTC #2 and those first few weeks pregnant until we had a solid plan in place... it made all the difference, and having a team you trust.

Only other question I can think is asking her what else she thinks you should know that perhaps you didn't think to ask.

I hope it goes well!
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w
MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Postby flori » Fri Apr 06, 2012 03:34 am

I'm back!

I really liked this doctor, she was very thorough and patient. She answered all of my questions (some before I even asked them) and didn't make me feel like I was being a pest by asking so many things and quoting things I'd read online. Here's a recap:

She said she would never say no to trying again, but did say it had its risks
Changed my bp meds to pregnancy safe stuff (eliminating an ACE inhibitor)
My liver, kidney, and thyroid function is all normal
Wants me to get a flu shot
Quoted me a 30% chance of developing preeclampsia again, 5% chance as severe/early and 5% chance of HELLP
--- said it will likely come later (yay)
LDA @ conception, but said starting prior wouldn't hurt
No lovenox :? (unless I test positive for lupus or APS ((kind of fussy OB didn't order that lab already)))
Clomid okay
Working okay
Exercise during pregnancy ok
Early bedrest probably won't help and would actually end up being more harm than good
Ultrasounds monthly unless growth issues suspected/found
Agreed to co-manage pregnancy with OB, but okay being the primary doc
Repeat C at 36-37 weeks (not a fan of VBACC, but would agree if I was insistent)
Will be the delivering OB if delivery is scheduled
Didn't think more weight loss would change my odds, but definitely recommended it for general pregnancy health
Doesn't believe in extra supplements (no vit A/C/D)
Wants me to stay on omega-3s and prenatals
If HELLP shows up, immediate delivery

Husband asked about the two year window I'd told him about and she said she believed more in giving my body 18 months from the Gracie's birth to conception of Rainbow. I googled it and only found that info on the March of Dimes sites. Anyone have any extra insight on this?

I am so glad I finally took this step. We won't be trying until June/July-ish but it feels good to know what I can do and what will happen. I left feeling so excited and hopeful for the future. ALTHOUGH, I am kind of nervous about her "NO LOVENOX" approach. I can't remember if there have been any posters who've been on it but not had a clotting disorder. Angie maybe?

I know Jean carried her rainbow on only LDA, but can anyone remember if there was anyone else? (Yes, I know Lovenox is not the answer, but it would help me to see that it CAN be okay without it.)
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby flori » Fri Apr 06, 2012 03:41 am

Forgot to add- we went to Costco afterwards and I bought their generic LDA, which said it was comparable to Bayer. Is there another brand I should look into instead? I forgot to ask doc.

Also, my OB wanted me to stay away from fish oil but to keep taking omega-3s. I bought a super fancy one from Target and saw just recently that the main ingredient is fish oil (d'oh!). Can someone recommend anything? I'm kind of ignorant about these things, but is the DHA/EPA stuff they sell packaged with prenatals okay? I always thought that it was for pregnancy only. Is fish oil okay until conception? OB worried about mercury levels and what not.

Thanks again for everything, lovelies. I appreciate it all.
Flori, 30
Mommy to Gracie- born at 25 weeks 03/15/11, 11 inches, 1.1lbs, and absolutely beautiful. Became my sweet angel the next day.
flori

Postby lisa112 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 08:34 am

I am so happy for you that your appointment went so well!! Sounds like the doctor you found was very encouraging and hopeful. From what I've read on the forums it looks like not many doctors prescribe lovenox unless there is an underlying reason for it, but I'm sure someone with more experience can answer that better than I it just seems to be what I've been seeing. I'm crossing my fingers for the same type of news. Just wondering, was this the first MFM you saw? I have two appointments set up with different doctors in two weeks and finding it a little nerveracking and overwhelming on picking doctors to meet with, but I think it's just an overall anxiety about everything.
Lisa, 31
Samantha Grace born 1/12/12 @ 30 + 3, 2lbs 2oz, severe PE with HELLP, IUGR
lived 17 days and passed due to complications after surgery because of NEC
lisa112

Postby sam10 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 09:41 am

I am glad your appointment went well. :) My doctor told me also no lovenox for me, since I don't have a clotting disorder. He said there is not enough evidence to show that it helps. He also reminded me that lovenox is a potent drug and hast its own risks and should not be used by default. So, I decided not to sweat it and trust my doctor on that one and how much nicer not to have to inject every day :D
~Julija (40)
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
Henry (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
Matilda (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Our pain has been put into words, placed into empty cradles, to remember that all our babies lived, that they mattered and always will. - Field of Cradles http://www.fieldofcradles.org/
sam10
Forum Moderator

Postby LalaPants » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:37 am

I'm so glad your appointment went well and that you liked this doctor!

[url]Spectrum Essentials[/url] makes a non-fish oil DHA supplement (it's actually produced by algae; my husband did some of his PhD research with the company that makes it and has friends who work there). When I was taking it (stopped because my lupus doc says that it can be bad for people with lupus), this is the brand I took.

I was reading something on lovenox the other day (I have lupus with APS so definite clotting disorder) and being on it can be really bad for your bones, like early onset osteoporosis bad, so it makes sense that your doctor doesn't want you on it without a clear reason to use it.
mom to Leonardo, stillborn April 2011 at 22 weeks due to HELLP/severe pre-e

I have lupus w/ APS
Planning on TTC in early 2012
LalaPants

Postby kerisue » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:35 pm

So glad you found someone who will listen to you and doesn't mind a ton of questions! Her recommendations sound similar to my docs recommendations. Don't be too worried about the "no lovenox" thing. It does seem like a lot of folks around here take it during subsequent pregnancies, but I've seen two MFMs and both, independently of the other, have said no to that too- just not enough research supporting its benefit over its risk I guess. Like yours, my docs also suggested 12-18 mos. before trying to conceive. one of them told me why he thought so- physical healing from the classical c-sec, reduction in inflammation from the preeclampsia, and emotional healing from the trauma and loss.
Mama to Millie
born June 2010 @ 24 wks. gestation due to my severe PE and CHF
lived 25 days, loved and missed
kerisue
Forum Moderator

Postby angieb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:42 am

Yes, I was on lovenox with no clotting disorder, as have been handfuls of other posters (especially those who have delivered in the 20-26 wk timeframe with IUGR.) ( riehlism....something like that, sorry if I messed up her screenname) , Ashley (nolansmom maybe? She hasn't been on here in forever), several others. But it does vary widely by MFM and don't be afraid to get another opinion from another mfm. I met with 2. One said yes, absolutely lovenox.The other said absolutely not. (A friend of mine who had severe pre-e 2x and delivery before 30 wks, recently met with a popular mfm in our area that I have not met with. He planned to put her on lovenox regardless of her clotting tests but told her he'd feel more confident it would help if she had a clotting disorder. She did have mthfr which a lot of mfm's don't treat with lovenox anymore.)I didn't want to later regret not doing it,I have enough regrets from my 1st preg, so I went with the lovenox plan, it worked out for us. I'm on it again for our 3rd preg.Whether it made a difference or not is unknown, certainly we have had plenty of members not on it who have healthy pregnancies, my MFM is of the opinion that there are more clotting issues/disorders than they have tests for and just because they didn't find it with the tests doesn't mean there isn't one.

(Osteoporosis is a risk, they have me increase calcium by 1000 mg when I am on lovenox, and this time she expects me to be off it by 20 or 24 wks, once the placenta is totally established and everything looking good, I will stop. I stopped last time about 28 wks, we were more paranoid and I had blood flow notching.)

Personally, I'd probably try to talk to another mfm if I were you. The 18 month thing seems pretty excessive.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby angieb » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:53 am

Jules (jules2) is another one who had early onset and was only on LDA and had a great 2nd preg.

But conversely, here's a slightly encouraging study on the flip side:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=41553

Low molecular weight heparin versus no treatment in women with previous severe pregnancy complications and placental findings without thrombophilia.Low molecular weight heparin (LMWH) treatment has been recommended for pregnant women with previous adverse pregnancy and who were diagnosed as having a thrombophilia. We now examined the effect of LMWH on pregnant women without thrombophilias who had severe pregnancy complications and placental vasculopathy in an earlier pregnancy......[skip to the conclusion]:Treatment with LMWH may reduce the rate of the recurrence of severe pregnancy complications and significant placental vasculopathy in women without thrombophilias.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby flori » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I didn't really think about seeing another MFM. I thought about it before this appointment, but maybe I was so happy with our meeting that I let it slip my mind. I think I will get a second opinion, just in case. I'm pretty sure she knew about the IUGR I had with Gracie, though I didn't think to ask if she thought Lovenox would help. A bunch of the other MFMs available are in her "group" (not sure if that's the right word). Do you guys think that they will all have the same approach as her or should I try to see someone that is not affiliated with their practice?

Angie, I'm not too hung up on the 18 month thing. This month will make 18 months since I conceived Gracie. At this point I'm more interested in getting pregnant again before next March (the sooner the better, obviously).

Lala, thanks for the omega-3 supplement info.
Flori, 30
flori

PreviousNext

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia