Post Reply FAQ Members Login

What have you tried?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

What have you tried?

Postby tinalowe » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:19 am

by tinalowe (288 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:19 am

I am sure we have all read different ways to help in ttc; you know sexual positions, herbs, old wive tales, diets, etc. I was wondering what everyone else has tried or heard? I have read some that were so ridiculous they made me laugh.

This is only my first month so I haven't done anything really except stay in bed for a few minutes after we bd. You never know in a few months I may be standing on my head though lol.[:D]

Tina 23
DH Dereck 26

Emma Victoria stillborn 12-28-03
ttc#2

tinalowe

Re : What have you tried?

Postby angelkat » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:28 am

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:28 am

As a joke I sent one of my friends a turkey baster (home insemination), haven't used but heard of using the "instead cup", vits, have DH drink protein shakes, pillow under your butt for 10 mins, first thing in the morning BD is better than at night, this is just to name a few..

I went stright for the IUI at the doctors office!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby tracey » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:30 am

by tracey (919 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:30 am

I actually never did anything "fancy" except, like you, stay in bed for longer than usual (I went for 20 minutes). I don't know if it actually DOES anything, but I also propped my bottom up slightly on a pillow while I waited. [:I]. In the end, I have gotten pregnant both times in the first month of trying, though, so it could be something! LOL.

Tracey
mama to
angel Ila Elizabeth (02.06.04),
pea-in-the-pod, EDD 04.01.05
tracey

Postby tinalowe » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:39 am

by tinalowe (288 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:39 am

K--I know the turkey baster thing was a joke, but I know someone who actually tried it lol. I have heard mention of the instead cups on another board before...what exactly are they??

Tracey--*gasp* no standing on your head?!?!? lol
Hmmmm maybe I will have to throw an extra pillow on the bed....I have heard that it is better to keep your hips slightly elevated...but I have also heard it makes no difference. Guess something that simple is actually worth a shot though.

Tina 23
DH Dereck 26

ttc#2

tinalowe

Postby arj » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:15 am

by arj (1251 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:15 am

Tina,
How long did it take you to conceive Emma? And how are your cycles? Pretty regular? A lot of women have charted their cycles using "Fertility Friend" (Google it). I was charting as a contraceptive measure when I conceived. Ooops. The thing with charting though is that if you aren't regular, it can be frustrating and stressful. You don't want to stress!!
Lots of women have used OPKs here. I have no experience with them, but I recently purchased a Clear Plan Fertility monitor (on EBay for a LOT CHEAPER!). I'm not TTC right now, but since I am a "fertility overacheiver" I want to have an accurate record of my cycles for several months before I TTC, so I have a good idea of when I ovulate. I'm trying this route because I've seen several good reviews of the monitor, and it seems like a little less work than charting.
Good luck to you! Maybe you're already pregnant and don't even know it yet! [;)]

Allison (28)
DS-Evan, 7/19/2003. Mild PE at 40 weeks
TTC #2 Early 2005
arj

Postby angelkat » Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:28 am

by angelkat (3423 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:28 am

Here's a link for the instead cup "soft cup" http://www.softcup.com/ I know ladies that use this instead of tampons and other use it to keep the sperm in place. I also have a few friends who have tried the turkey baster!!...

I never got a ++ on OPK and I could never get the hang of charting so I never did either. My is all luck and blessings. And can't forget all the medical stuff...

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby wcarder » Thu Jul 22, 2004 01:03 pm

by wcarder (934 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 01:03 pm

I heard a joke once that if you put on your husbands high school varsity jacket and head for the back seat of the car, you get good results...ha, ha...it seems to work for a lot of people...(:
wendy
dh- kenzie celeste, 30 weeks ga, severe pe.
wcarder

Postby tinalowe » Thu Jul 22, 2004 04:25 pm

by tinalowe (288 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 04:25 pm

Allison--we weren't as actively trying to conceive my first time around as we will be this time...this is our first cycle ttc again...I did try opk's once...too much hassle for me...and I decided to chart this month using fertility friend have never done it before though...I was just wondering what other ppl have done...some things are pretty hilarious to me :)I'm only on CD13 and haven't o'd yet so I know I am not preggie but I should O in the next couple days I usually 0 between CD14-16...maybe I will get as lucky as Tracey and catch the egg my first time who knows

K--thanks for the link although I doubt I will use them I was just wondering what they were!

Wendy--lol I've heard something similar to that too! My hubby didn't play sports so no varsity jacket here :( lol

Tina 23
DH Dereck 26

ttc#2

tinalowe

Postby tracey » Thu Jul 22, 2004 04:50 pm

by tracey (919 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 04:50 pm

Tina
I SHOULD mention that both times I also used an OPK -- last time it turned positive right around when I expected (day 9 -- I had a 24 day cycle). Since delivering, my cycles have been all over the place in length (23-28 days), so again I used them to try to figure it out. This time I got a positive on day 7 (!!!), but when I repeated again the next day (and only about 14 hours later), I got a negative. Tried a couple more times, and always got negatives, but I had a hard time believing I ovulated so early. I really thought they hadn't quite worked for me this time. We had already done some "practice" BDing [:I] before then, and a bit after, but I think it may have been the "befores" that really counted. To be honest, I thought my cycles were a bit too wacky to be successful just yet, but I guess not. [:D]
Anyway, just wanted to clarify -- I didn't realize OPKs would be in the same category as "sexual positions, herbs, old wive tales, diets, etc." LOL!
I'm surprised that you would find OPKs a hassle but would be okay with charting -- I always thought OPKs were the lazy woman' s charting! (I myself have never charted, but was convinced we weren't successful, so went out and bought the thermometer, signed up on Fertility Friend and the whole bit in prep for next month).

Good luck!

Tracey
mama to
angel Ila Elizabeth (02.06.04),
pea-in-the-pod, EDD 04.01.05
tracey

Postby tinalowe » Thu Jul 22, 2004 07:53 pm

by tinalowe (288 Posts), Thu Jul 22, 2004 07:53 pm

Tracey,
Actually I wasn't thinking about them when I made the post the subject just came up!! lol I don't like OPKs b/c they never said I ovulated before...and I obviously did Emma was proof of that...my CM was actually the only way I could tell before...and I have kept track of cm since delivery...whereas my cycle length isn't always the same my CM is only...I may try the opk's again next cycle I will wait and see how i like the charting...it's not a hassle to me I keep BBT right by the bed just wake up and take my temp...only problem I seem to have is trying NOT to fall back asleep while I wait on the beep! lol

Tina 23
DH Dereck 26

ttc#2

tinalowe

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia