Post Reply FAQ Members Login

How do odds change from #2 to #3?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

How do odds change from #2 to #3?

Postby danielsmom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

by danielsmom (290 Posts), Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:26 pm

LOL... no, I'm not pregnant, not trying, not even sure if we'll ever go there again. But yes, its in the back of my mind... just sort of wondering what others have experienced and the medical opinions they've received. We're probably done and happy about that. I'm soooo thankful to have the family that we have. Natalie was born 3 months ago full term and is healthy. We're enjoying every moment.

I never became chronically hypertensive after my son's birth. I'm in good health, other than the 20 pounds post-baby I'd like to lose but it's slowly coming off. Our biggest "issue" with Natalie's pregnancy was borderline low fluid the last few weeks, but we hung in there. My BP was great throughout and I didn't spill any protein to speak of. I just turned 34. Is the general MFM-ish opinion for #3 pretty optimistic? More so because I've responded well in pregnancy #2 to treatment? My OB thinks so. He sort of thinks we cracked the code last time and we'd handle a subsequent pregnancy the same way. Eeeesh... I don't know. I'm kind of glad it's over.

I know anything can happen, but I wonder if there's a general change in your risk from #2 to #3. And how long are you recommended to wait?
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Re: How do odds change from #2 to #3?

Postby cmccaffrey » Thu Sep 06, 2012 02:10 am

by cmccaffrey (458 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 02:10 am

SO in the back of my mind as well!

Jean had a similar post a while back.
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... 12&t=45174
Christa (25) & J (26)
Mommy to:
Mason born 10.11.10 @ 30+3 wks due to Severe Pre-E. Only lived 2.5 days
Noah born 2.1.12 @ 38 weeks thanks to lots of doctors visits, LDA, Lovenox and no preeclampsia!

learn more about our story... http://tinyurl.com/7a979vy
cmccaffrey

Postby julieb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 07:54 pm

by julieb (364 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 07:54 pm

I am currently pregnant with #3 so I hope the odds are good :) I talked with my MFM before trying for #3 and he felt because #2 went SO much better than #1 that #3 would have better odds of going well. I was on Lovenox for #2 and he feels that I responded well to it and that is the reason I got to 36 weeks with #2. I did end up delivering because my daughter was small at 36 weeks and with a mature amnio we decided to deliver instead of waiting for PE to occur again, but the only sign was that my BP was slightly increased and baby's growth was low but baby was healthy and so was I. My MFM is pretty sure I will have some sort of BP issue this time but he was confident we could get a similar outcome to #2 this time around. I feel so crazy that I even wanted to go through all of this again, but I love my kids :) I always joke that I would be another Michelle Duggar if I didn't have so many complications :)
Mason 5/17/07 28w6d 1lb 10oz Severe PE and IUGR
Makenna 4/24/10 36w1d 4lb 8oz PIH but no PE!!! (On Lovenox, Labetalol, Folic Acid and Synthroid)
#3 due 3/10/13...Lovenox, LDA, Labetalol, Synthroid and Folic Acid...praying for another PE free pregnancy!
julieb

Postby angieb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 pm

by angieb (1192 Posts), Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:11 pm

My OB and MFM thought my odds were about the same (not great, like 12% for HELLP, 70% for pre-e, b/c of how early and severely I got sick the first time.) Their reasoning was that my first pregnancy was *so bad*, even though my second pregnancy was relatively healthy and resulted in a very healthy DS, they have no concrete reason why #2 went so well and #1 went so bad. (Only PCOS-very mild PCOS- as an underlying condition that they can find.) So I think they just preferred to be cautious. On the bright side, breastfeeding was awesome for me weight wise and I went into pregnancy 3 smaller than I was for pregnancy #2 by 15ish pounds. (But the same weight I was for pregnancy #1).

Happy to report I'm 30 weeks on Friday, done with lovenox already, baby is growing very well, everything seems to be normal (normal quad screen which was abnormal my first pregnancy), no symptoms or issues so far. Unlike pregnancy #2, I don't even have gestational diabetes this time!
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/
angieb

Postby danielsmom » Tue Sep 11, 2012 06:16 pm

by danielsmom (290 Posts), Tue Sep 11, 2012 06:16 pm

Interesting...

angieb - how cool that you don't have to deal with GD this time! I'm so happy you've made it this far and hope the road keeps staying smooth. I can't believe you're 30 weeks already... seems like we just found out you were expecting.

julieb - I can relate to the Michelle Dugger comment! Being a mom is the best thing...
Miscarriage Feb 05 & Dec 07
Daniel born Feb 09 at 27w5d, 1 lb 1 oz/12 inches (severe IUGR) due to Severe Pre-E & HELLP. Now tall for age and no complications.
Diagnosed with MTHFR
Cornual Ectopic miscarriage Mar 11
Natalie born 6-5-12 at full term, 7 lb 11 oz & 21.5 inches, progesterone 2-8 weeks (for suspected luteal phase defect), lovenox 6-29 weeks, lda 0-36 weeks, folic.
danielsmom

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia