Upsetting news may close the door to Baby #2

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Upsetting news may close the door to Baby #2

Postby lauradale » Mon Oct 15, 2012 09:43 am

Hey gals,

I haven't posted on here in a while trying to not think about the possibility of PE coming back a second time. Well, while we decided over the summer we are going to try for #2, just this past week, my BP has been out of control. I am currently not pregnant and was rushed to the ER on Saturday for a BP of 160/100. Really scary! I know I have borderline BP normally after having my son with PE 5 years ago. Always had low BP then had him in 2007 and had 130's /80's. I talk to my MFM and they said it should be a big deal with the pregnancy they would just keep an eye on my pressures but that was before the 160/100s this weekend. Have a feeling he is going to tell me baby #2 is off the table...

Well, with my BP's being dangerously high for no reason at all, I might have to close that door to #2. I am completely and utterly devastated. We haven't had an easy road with my 5 year old. Although I love him more than anything he is a challenging child with behaviorial issues. We are working on these things with him, his doctors, and preschool teachers to help him. I kept going back and forth over the last year as to whether its even a good idea to have a second child with all the challenges we have with our son. Then we made up our mind this summer, we would go for #2. But now that it seems like my body is saying no, you can't have this baby, look at these high BPs.

So upset and dont' even know where to begin. I don't know if its worth the risk trying again now that I have these BP issues and a challenging child. I have been trying to do some research online to see if there are many women who have high BP not pregnant with a history of PE and then have healthy pregnancies or manageable PE. Just so torn right now. Just when we decided to go for this second baby I feel like I have been robbed of my opportunity....

Laura
She who gets up one more time than she falls, makes it through.... (author unknown)
User avatar
lauradale
Registered User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 03:14 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Upsetting news may close the door to Baby #2

Postby cgoodi1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:13 am

Don't rule out another baby just yet! Talk to your doctors and monitor your blood pressure. Maybe they can give you medication for it and you'll be ok to have another. Try to stay positive! I'll be thinking of you and sending positive vibes your way :)
Stillbirth - 21 weeks gestation due to severe preeclampsia, HELLP and IUGR - 15/02/12
Baby girl Aria - Induced due to high blood pressure at 36 weeks + 2 days - 7lbs 3oz - 05/03/13
cgoodi1
Registered User
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 09:27 pm

Re: Upsetting news may close the door to Baby #2

Postby ellemoon » Wed Oct 17, 2012 08:26 pm

Yes, don't rule out another pregnancy just yet! Obviously, you need to get your pressures under control before you conceive again but once they are controlled, then you are good to go. You will be monitored more closely but that's all.
Leslie (26) DH (28)
Chronic hypertensive since age 17
DD- born April 24, 2011 due to severe pre-e at 29w1d weighing 2lbs, 11oz
Diagnosed with homozygous MTHFR C677T
Pregnant with #2! Due 9/2/13 but will deliver at 36-37 weeks due to classical csection.
(Labetolol, HCTZ, Aspirin 81mg, Calcium, Mag, Zinc, D, Fish Oil, Fiber gummies, Folic Acid)
ellemoon
Registered User
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 02:14 pm

Re: Upsetting news may close the door to Baby #2

Postby lauradale » Thu Oct 18, 2012 06:54 am

Hey Gals,

Thank you for the positive thoughts. The doc put me on Hydrochlorithiazide which didn’t work so they switched me to Lisinopril which I hope works. Hoping this is the one that will make it come down. I am on a completely salt free diet. I know there is sodium in everything but I am not permitted to add any salt and really read the sodium in products. The doctor also wants me to drop at least 10lbs, so he started me on the DASH Diet. I am planning on losing more than 10llbs to get to my healthiest. I think this was the wakeup call that I needed. Been praying to God to help me lose weight and get healthy for baby #2. Well, “here’s your sign”…. So in a way I am blessed that this happened to me because it will get me right with my health and teach me to manage stress better.

Thank you for all comments and suggestions! I sincerely appreciate it!

Laura
:D
She who gets up one more time than she falls, makes it through.... (author unknown)
User avatar
lauradale
Registered User
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 03:14 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Upsetting news may close the door to Baby #2

Postby meesh » Fri Oct 26, 2012 09:41 pm

I had bp similar to yours during the year or two after my 2nd pregnancy (actually some of my readings were a lot higher - ick). When I went for a preconception consult with a MFM I was terrified he would tell me I couldn't have another baby. He basically told me I was a piece of cake (I remember him saying that on a scariness scale of 1-10, I was only a 2. I thought I would be a 9 or 10!). He got my bp under control with meds and I had a successful 3rd pregnancy. Don't give up!
2001 twins 36+ weeks - no pe
2005 singleton 36+ weeks - severe pe, abruption, emergency csection
2007 preconception appt at the UW, diagnosed with chronic htn and treated for high cardiac output
2011 finally pregnant -twins again! 37+ weeks, no pe, vbac! Higher bps pp but back down by 6 weeks
meesh
Registered User
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2005 04:06 pm


Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests