Trying for #2 but hesitant

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1809
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:56 am
Location: Texas

Re: Trying for #2 but hesitant

Postby alviarin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:30 am

Though there are no guarantees, in general pre-e strikes later or less severely in second pregnancies. Or not at all.

As far as my personal experience goes:

With my first pregnancy, my BP started coming back down within hours of delivery.

With my second, it peaked a week postpartum; even on the max dose of Aldomet I still had pressures of 160/100s. My pressures never entirely returned to normal postpartum and even after my pressures stablized my GP reccomended I stay on a low dose of BP meds to lower my long term risks.

My third pregnancy was complicated by chronic hypertension plus mild gestational diabetes, but my pressures never got severely high (never got above high 140s/90s on the same low dose of BP meds) and my pressures returned to normal a week postpartum.

I hope this helps, good luck with whatever you decide.
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 am

Trying for #2 but hesitant

Postby redrock95 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:33 am

Hi everyone!

A little backstory. I had my son in 2009. I wasn't aware of the signs/symptoms of preeclampsia until I was diagnosed. Around 34 weeks. Looking back, I believe I started swelling and having signs around 31 weeks. I feel like my OB should have noticed the signs earlier, but she didn't and that's that. My 24 hour urine test showed little protein, and they placed me on modified bed rest. At 36 weeks my bp had gotten slightly worse, and my OB felt like it was time to go to the hospital to have the baby. I was very unprepared and my OB was starting her vacation, so another OB ended up delivering my son by c-section because they couldn't get me to dilate. The scariest part of my whole pregnancy was after delivery. My son's lungs weren't mature enough so he spent a week in the NICU. I wasn't able to see him for 3 days..because after delivery I got progressively worse. They were injecting me with bp meds every 15 minutes that night to get my bp down (I don't even remember what it was, I feel like I've forgotten or blocked out so much from that week), and I woke up the next day and my vision was blurry. I couldn't make out anything for the next two days, and finally I woke up one morning and it was back to normal. I spent almost a week in the hospital. They gave me bp meds to take and follow up with my OB and my bp regulated back to normal by my 6 week pp appt.

I guess I'm just curious how many people had gotten worse after delivery, but went on to have another healthy pregnancy or even one that wasn't as bad as the first? Even if your next pregnancy wasn't better, I'd love to hear about it.

My husband and I are thinking about trying again in the spring, but we're scared. I have a new OB now, one that I trust fully and I know that helps to ease my mind but I'm curious about what you guys have gone through. Thanks in advance :)

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests