Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Thinking about TTC #3

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Thinking about TTC #3

Postby kaxy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 02:19 pm

by kaxy (98 Posts), Thu Nov 15, 2012 02:19 pm

Hello ladies,

I had PE with both of my children. It developed much the same way, at term. My BP had been increasing from about 37-38w on, but no protein until I was in active labor on my own. With my son (Dec. 2008), I had a more mild case as determined by BP and protein level. I didn't need meds to lower my BP, but I was on the mag for 24 hours. The picture of me getting ready to go to the hospital shows a very swollen face, and I can't believe I didn't notice (no one else seemed to, either).

With my daughter (Dec. 2010), my BP was only slightly elevated starting around the 37w (130s/??). We monitored it with NSTs and BP checks, and I went into labor at 40w1d on my own. While in labor, my BP got worse and worse. The protein labs didn't return until a few hours after she was born, so they gave me my diagnosis. Later that evening, my BP got worse and I felt horrible. It's hard to say if I felt bad because of the mag or the PE, but either way it sucked. They gave me some labetelol through my IV to lower my BP. The doc classified my PE as "severe" that time, based on BP and protein.

I had other similarities with those pregnancies, including borderline failing my gestational diabetes tests, measuring small for dates, low amniotic fluid with my firstborn.

My son was 6 lbs. 5 oz. at birth, but my daughter was 8 lbs. 2 oz. Of course, they had different gestation lengths, but I guess some babies are either pretty small, or some are on the bigger side of the curve? I don't think 8 lbs. is particularly big, though.

ANYWAY. Part of me is really freaked out by PE and what it would mean for a third pregnancy. Would I enjoy it to any degree? Would I be able to bond with my baby before he/she was born? Would I develop PE again? What if I have a scary outcome this time? I got really lucky with my first two.

I do think that my late onset way of developing PE is a plus. I'd likely want an induction next time instead of waiting for it to escalate, though I don't know if PE would just happen at the induction if they were to jump-start my labor.

Besides the scary things that could happen to me or baby while pregnant, I'm also concerned about the long-term impact. I know that PE makes us have a higher risk for heart disease and kidney trouble...but did PE give us that damage or is it an early marker that we were headed down that path anyway?

I have no known underlying disorders, though I have not had a complete blood workup aside from the standard pregnant lady labs. When I met for a MFM last year for a consult, he told me I'd probably have it again. He had me do a 24hour urine collection and that came back normal, and that's all he wanted to do.

I have since moved to a new state since the birth of my kids (I'm in Indiana now, Indy metro) and have an appointment next month with a regular OB just for my annual exam and to see what her thoughts are on handling my care, should I have another. I guess I'd be referred to a MFM once pregnant? I don't know.

Be an armchair actuary here. Would you put me at decent odds for developing PE again? Would you say the risk would be worth it? Thank you!
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy
Registered User
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 03:56 am

Re: Thinking about TTC #3

Postby Raposa » Sat Nov 17, 2012 08:39 am

by Raposa (85 Posts), Sat Nov 17, 2012 08:39 am

Sounds like you'd be lower risk than I would! I haven't finished this pregnancy, yet, and already debating whether I'd be willing to take the risk on a third.

So far, I've had NO pre-eclampsia this time around, but that didn't make this one less stressful, since I had hypertension decide to show up early. :P If I do go for a third, I was planning to not wait too long.. about 12 months instead of 2 years like this last time, so try to capitalize on the placental artery imbedding.

It's up to you, really, but I think your odds look pretty good, particularly if you can persuade a doctor to schedule an induction a little early and avoid the late term window you seem to have. But then, you never know, do you? So I can understand hesitating, too.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go for it, but I've always wanted at least 3 kids. :) It kind of hurts to tell myself that I'm not going to risk 4 at all, so if i go for a 3rd, that'll be my last..
1st son, induced at 37 weeks due to pre-e, born 6/18/10.
2nd son, c-section at 37 weeks due to hypertension, born 1/15/13.
Raposa
Registered User
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 05:12 pm

Re: Thinking about TTC #3

Postby afaiz » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 am

by afaiz (41 Posts), Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 am

Hi,

I think your chances of not getting PE especially if you were induced early are huge. If you have a good OB & trust them I would totally go for #3 & 4... Lol

I lost my first baby at 25 weeks in January to eclampsia & help syndrome. :-(
I will ttc again and am hoping for a way better outcome, and a take home baby.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide :-)
afaiz
Registered User
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 07:21 pm

Re: Thinking about TTC #3

Postby kaxy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:16 pm

by kaxy (98 Posts), Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:16 pm

I appreciate your perspectives! It *does* seem like if I were induced at 37-38w, that my outcome would be good. With my first two pregnancies, there were some early indications that suggested pre-e was on the way, so perhaps if I can have an OB who will keep an eye on anything potentially suspicious, maybe that would help me avoid the full-blown pre-e.

I know none of you have seen the future and can tell me *for sure* that I won't develop it, but it really is encouraging to me to hear your opinions. Thank you.
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy
Registered User
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 03:56 am

Re: Thinking about TTC #3

Postby kaxy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 09:07 pm

by kaxy (98 Posts), Sat Jan 26, 2013 09:07 pm

And...bfp today. Here we go! :!:
DS born Dec. 2008 at 38.5w gestation. Mild PE diagnosed 3 hours before he was born
DD born Dec. 2010 at 40w1d. BP was slightly elevated since 37w, and climbed while in labor (started on my own). Severe PE diagnosed hours after DD born.
DD born Sept. 2013 at 38w. Induced (and I had to fight for it!) due to high blood pressure. No protein, but had brisk reflexes and clonus after delivery. Doc gave me a mild preeclampsia diagnosis anyway and said I'm likely to be a chronic hypertensive later in life.
kaxy
Registered User
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 03:56 am


Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aimeejane and 3 guests