Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Suggestions for how to keep pre-e at bay

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Suggestions for how to keep pre-e at bay

Postby elg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:26 am

by elg (8 Posts), Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:26 am

I wanted to say hello as I am fairly new to this site. I was pregnant with my third child in May when I developed pre-e at 24 +3 weeks and had to deliver at 25 weeks. We were blessed to spend 7 days with our son before he passed away. As many of you know this has been an unimaginable painful experience for our entire family including our 6 and 8 year old daughters. My husband and I have decided to try again soon as it has now been almost 8 months. Our mfm has recommended waiting one year.
What do you suggest we do as far as prevention goes? I will be taking baby aspirin against the advice of my ob and one of my mfms. My other mfm (in the same practice) said to absolutely take it. I am unsure when to start it as I experience a lot of first trimester bleeding. In fact, I bleed almost the entire time. But I hate to wait until the second trimester as well. Advice? I also have had the clotting panel done and all came back negative. I will also be taking a folic acid supplement in addition to my prenatal vitamin and taking tums daily for the extra calcium.
I am hopeful that I can have a healthy pregnancy since I had 2 before and will now be monitored more closely. Any advice or suggestions would be great. Thank you.
Jacki
elg

Re: Suggestions for how to keep pre-e at bay

Postby Shannonlynn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:04 pm

by Shannonlynn (102 Posts), Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:04 pm

My suggestion is to review symptoms and get a good bp cuff. Take your bp twice daily, morning and evening. If you see any upward spikes, report it to your docs.Have you done a 24 hour urine collection? If not, request one to find out your baseline protein. Try to stay calm and rest as much as you are able. Hope that's some help.
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.
Shannonlynn

Postby elg » Tue Jan 15, 2013 08:22 pm

by elg (8 Posts), Tue Jan 15, 2013 08:22 pm

Thank you for your reply. I do have a good cuff and although I reported it to my ob last time, it took them 3 days to return my call. By then it was too late. Now I have switched to another ob and know to keep calling back if needed. My mfm did order a baseline/pre-pregnancy 24 hour urine so I completed that 3 weeks ago. Protein was 115 so within normal limits. I sure hope I can stay calm as I am afraid I will be a basketcase. I will try so hard though. I wonder if excerising will be beneficial or not. Also when should I take the aspirin. I have heard different opinions as to whether to take it during the first trimester or not until the second trimester. Thanks again!
elg

Postby Shannonlynn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 08:37 pm

by Shannonlynn (102 Posts), Tue Jan 15, 2013 08:37 pm

I started taking LDA when I was ttc. My MFM said to do so. There is a theory that it helps with implantation. I think exercise is great and a good stress buster. I also fired my original obs and got a much better group the second time around. So, it sounds like you are prepared.
Shannonlynn-mommy to Frederick Otto "Fritzy"
born May 6, 2011, became an angel one hour later
Severe PE at 24 weeks to the day
Gavin Walden born 8-4-12,lovenox, folgard, lda, prenatals. PE and HELLP free.
Shannonlynn

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia