a barrage of test results...

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

a barrage of test results...

Postby wcarder » Wed Jul 28, 2004 06:41 am

So, I had seen the doc for a pre~pg consult and as expected, an array of blood work was done...he also had me get an mri and emg. some of you may have heard my previous complaints - that I have just never felt good since i had PE five years ago. so, my doctor tested me for MS b/c i have numbness and tingling in my arms, legs, head and face, migraines, vision disturbances, and fatigue. MS was negative, EMG was negative, but my blood work showed a positive ana and low platelets. so they sent the blood back for further testing, and I met with the doc again yesterday. Well, my lupus test was negative but i tested positive for lupus reactions to antibiotics (???) (I've been on daily antibiotics for two years due to kidney disease, which is now causing lupus symptoms (????), I dunno...) Also, my lupus anticoagulant was negative, but my antiphospholipid was positive. He told me to quit taking my birthcontrol, but hold off on TTC. He wants to retest in 6 weeks for antiphospholipid antibodies.... He said APS is known for false positives and false negatives...I have a hx of two miscarriages and early onset PE (26 dx)... anyway, at this point, I have no EXACT answers, and I don't know what to expect with another pregnancy...but I know, no matter what the tests reveal, we're willing to try as soon as we can...
Wendy
DH ~ Ryan
DD ~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, Severe PE
wcarder

Re : a barrage of test results...

Postby alimarie » Wed Jul 28, 2004 06:56 am

Wow. So many questions answered but still they raise so many......isn't that always the way! I hope you continue to get answers and i know you are looking forward to trying!

AliMarie---mommy to Madalyn Anne-born at 35 wks due to severe pe (9/18/2001 4lbs. 14oz.)

TTC #2
alimarie

Postby susan belisle » Wed Jul 28, 2004 07:16 am

When we meet with the second doctor to get things in order to ttc she said that we should start as soon as we got the green light. Before that meeting I was prepaired to wait a year to get things in order. But as soon as I got the word it may be possible to wrap things up in 6-8 weeks I ran with that thought. But the truth is we may not be mentaly ready in 6-8 weeks. So sometimes waithing for the test results and getting you in the possible shape and care puts your mind at ease. This way, if it possible, you can keep yourself for worry into a problem. I hope that you get a better understanding of what is happening with your medical situation. And I hope that you are able to carry a full term, healthy happy baby!!

Susan
Interuption 06/23/01 @20 wks
Carly 04/24/02 30 wks 3lbs 6 oz
ttc again with pg induced hypertention
susan belisle

Postby denise » Wed Jul 28, 2004 07:43 am

Sorry to hear you left your appt with more questions. Hopefully after the next six weeks, you'll get some answers and be able to TTC!

Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP Syndrome/pre-e: 4 lbs, 17 1/2 inches
TTC #2 starting in October!
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby for faith » Wed Jul 28, 2004 09:35 am

Glad to hear that the drs are being so indepth. Hope that at the end of 6 weeks you will be given some great news to TTC again!!!!! Best of luck!!!

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH)
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC & Sepsis(preemie complications))

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 9/02
for faith

Postby maxs mom » Thu Jul 29, 2004 05:17 pm

Wendy,
Wow, a lot of tests. But I am glad some of those came back negative. The Lupus one is weird, hopefully they will have a good answer on that soon (negative!)

I wish you the best of luck and hope all tests come back OK!
Kara

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/
maxs mom

Postby jenndola » Sun Aug 01, 2004 01:02 am

Wendy,

Hey, the APS club is very exclusive, you know. Not everybody can join. Two miscarriages and early-onset PE would make you highly suspicious, so I can understand why he tested you (I've got 2 miscarriages and HELLP Syndrome myself). If your second test comes back positive, he'll most likely have you do heparin shots during pregnancy to prevent blood clots and promote a positive outcome.

Unfortunately, the heparin doesn't really reduce your risk of PE (According to my peri, APS patients have about a 50% chance of PE in pregnancy, so you can see how some of us end up with early-onset), but the good news is that the success rate in treated APS pregnancies is about 80-85%.

I hope you have some answers soon. Let us know what you find out!

Jenn
Angel Maggie stillborn due to HELLP Syndrome & PIH at 19.5 wks
Missed miscarriage/D&C 14 weeks
Miscarriage 6 weeks
Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
I'm putting my perinatologist's kids through college!
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia