Post Reply FAQ Members Login

PTSD anyone?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

PTSD anyone?

Postby midwestmom » Thu Feb 13, 2014 03:07 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've posted on these forums before and continue to follow everyone on them. I delivered my son 4 years ago at 29+ weeks due to severe preeclampsia and have since been diagnosed with hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's). My husband and I have decided, with the blessing of our MFM, to try again. Well, fast-forward to last November 2013, I got pregnant. The morning I discovered I was pregnant, I was ecstatic! Then that evening, and almost everyone after that for the next few weeks I was sleepless and worried/panicked about my health and the health of the baby. I ended up miscarrying around 8 weeks, and was told by the MFM to start trying again after one full normal cycle passes. Well, that would mean that I should start trying in a couple of weeks. I feel almost schizophrenic in my deep desire to have another child and my deep fear of having another one. Why can't things be simple? So, since the pregnancy anxiety, I've started on Prozac which should kick-in in soon, and it was suggested that I start therapy. The MFM said ttc and first trimester on Prozac is safe, and we will re-evaluate in the late stages of pregnancy - that is, if I do become pregnant!

I guess I'm posting this just to sort of vent and find others out there with these same struggles. I find this to be a very silent struggle that not many around me would understand.
Thanks for listening/reading! :-) Lauren
Lauren
Son born by emergency C-section due to severe preeclampsia in August 2009. Born 29wks2days weighing 3lbs, he is a healthy toddler now.
midwestmom

Re: PTSD anyone?

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 09:54 pm

These pregnancies are completely nerve-wracking and honestly I'd be amazed if anyone got through them without some creative psychological strategies. I'm glad to hear your MFM suggested trying again right away - the newer data make it look like that shorter interpregnancy interval is beneficial in many cases, lowering risk of preeclampsia in the subsequent pregnancy. The idea is that the area of the uterine lining where the prior placenta was has been freshly "remodeled" for pregnancy, easing the new placenta's implantation.

PTSD is supposed to happen to a huge chunk of our population with term deliveries, and NICU time adds to that risk. How is taking it day-by-day going for you?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re: PTSD anyone?

Postby valdawg20 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 am

Caryn, do you have any of the articles supporting shorter interpregnancy intervals may reduce severe pre-e? I lost my daughter in January and really planned to start trying again at the end of this year. I have read that there is the two-year plan. So I am just curious. Any insight you can provide would be helpful. -Valerie
valdawg20

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia