Post Reply FAQ Members Login

New here - loss, trying again

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

New here - loss, trying again

Postby valdawg20 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 01:45 pm

by valdawg20 (7 Posts), Thu Feb 13, 2014 01:45 pm

Hello Everyone! I am new to this site. I just lost my daughter a couple weeks ago. I was 23 weeks. I have my 6 week check up with a MFM next week where I want to discuss the possibility of another pregnancy. This hurts so bad to loose my daughter let alone be scared to do this again. Reading these post give me hope to do it once again. I wanted to know for those who had a later onset of PE how late was it? I am planning on changing my diet to even increase my chances when I do this next year. Thanks for any input.
valdawg20

Re: New here - loss, trying again

Postby caryn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 pm

by caryn (10131 Posts), Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:02 pm

Welcome. I'm so sorry you had to find us under these circumstances, that you lost your daughter to this syndrome. Preeclampsia can be brutally fast.

Usually in a subsequent pregnancy the onset is later and not as rapid. This can vary depending on any underlying conditions you might have that would raise risk of preeclampsia - these are mostly antiphospholipid syndrome (APS) and chronic hypertension. I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with your diet; diet isn't really thought to contribute to this unless you're from a region of the world with extraordinarily low calcium intake, and even then that's just your tendency to progress to seizures that's affected by calcium. It's generally thought to be a genetic condition that has to do with the depth to which the placenta implants during the first few weeks of pregnancy, and that has contributions from the number of prior pregnancies you've had, from your partner (his genes), and from any underlying inflammatory diseases that make it harder for your body to host a foreign organ (the placenta.)

Have you had your followup appointment? Has your blood pressure returned to normal?
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies? Lectures from researchers?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy
caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby valdawg20 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:28 pm

by valdawg20 (7 Posts), Wed Feb 19, 2014 01:28 pm

My 6 week check up is tomorrow. I have so much anxiety about attending this appoitnment because I feel that he is not going to tell me anything new. From reading articles and post it seems that low-dosage aspirin seems to help those who are severly pre-eclamptic. I was not given this option by my OB/GYN even though he knew my previous pregnancy was pre-eclamptic. It was very dissapointing not receiving all the options to reduce the onset of my PE. All I can do is hope for the best! -Valerie
valdawg20

Postby mirelas75 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 05:20 pm

by mirelas75 (4 Posts), Tue Aug 19, 2014 05:20 pm

Hi, I lost my son two weeks ago, at week 37, due to severe preeclampsia that nobody noticed/foreseen.

How did your appointment go, what are next steps for you? I would be curious to know what you have been recommended...

Thanks
mirelas75

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia