Post Reply FAQ Members Login

I want another child but I've had preeclampsia twice

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

I want another child but I've had preeclampsia twice

Postby triciasoto » Wed May 14, 2014 02:46 am

Hello there, my name is Tricia and I'm 28 years old. I have two children. Lola will be 6 in November and Liam will be 5 in September. I had preeclampsia with both pregnancies. With my daughter I developed preeclampsia at around 30 weeks and she was born at 32 weeks weighing 3lbs 8oz. She stayed in the NICU for 30 days. With my son I developed preeclampsia at around 28 weeks and he was born at 30 weeks weighing 3lbs. He was in the NICU for 40 days. I was very blessed because neither child has had any health issues thus far. I was with their father for 8 years. We split up about 3 years and go and I'm now married to a wonderful man. We have discussed having a child together but I'm so scared. I was told by my last doctor that if I were to have another child by a different man then I would not develop preeclampsia. I was wondering if this was true for anyone out there? I've been reading so many articles and I know everyone is different I just want some kind of piece of mind on the whole issue. Thank you for your time.
triciasoto

Re: I want another child but I've had preeclampsia twice

Postby alviarin » Wed May 28, 2014 04:36 am

I can definitely relate to wanting more but being scared of pre-e striking again.

All of my kiddos had same paternity, but my sister-in-law (whose mom had pre-e, so a definite family history there) only had pre-e with her second child/second partner (who also had a family history of pre-e).

Here's an older thread discussing paternity you may find of interest:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23758
Hypothyroid mom to Connor and Claire
(severe pre-e at 38 weeks & "mild" pre-e at 37 weeks)
& baby Annabelle
(chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia