Confused and wondering who to believe?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
Registered User
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 03:02 pm

Re: Confused and wondering who to believe?

Postby jenh » Thu Jun 19, 2014 06:59 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss.

It is true that PE is most common in first pregnancies and that many women who get it once don't get it again. However, it is also very possible to have it more than once, and the earlier and more severely you had it the first time, the greater the risk of recurrence. (The good news is it's usually later and less severe, although there are no guarantees.) I personally would want to find another doctor. A supposed high risk doctor who doesn't even know the risk is not someone I'd trust. (Or a doctor who does know the risk but minimizes it because he doesn't want you to worry your pretty little head would also not be someone I'd trust.) On the plus side, he is willing to monitor you frequently, but will he take the results and your concerns seriously if he thinks recurrence is unlikely?
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

Registered User
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:45 pm

Confused and wondering who to believe?

Postby whitann06 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 02:05 pm

Hi all. My husband and I have decided that we want to try again after losing our son in 2012 when I developed preeclampsia at 24 weeks. My doctor at the time told us to wait 2 years, and said that since I had early onset pree, my chances of developing it again would be fairly high, and that I would probably have to be on bed rest starting at ~20-24 weeks. The only underlying condition he found was that I tested positive for thyroid antibodies. He put me on a very low dose of levothyroxine, but claims that there is no way that could be related to the preeclampsia and did not warrant further testing. Fast forward 2 years. My husband and I have moved to a new state, and decided the time is right to try again. I went to a new high-risk OB for my physical and a pre-conception appointment. According to him, I am at a slightly high risk of developing pree since I had it before, but says that since it is most common in first time moms and I don't have an underlying condition and my thyroid levels (he only tested the hormone levels) are fine, that he is not worried about me developing pree again. I also asked him about weight, since I have had a difficult time loosing the baby/pree weight from the first time as a result of the thyroid medication, and he is not worried at all, and says that pree is not related to weight at all. I am just so confused about which doctor to believe, and as much as I want to believe the new one, I am not sure how correct he is. It is so frustrating to get different advice from doctors, I just want to go into this knowing as much as I can and I don't feel like I am. Should I seek another opinion or trust the new doctor to monitor me throughout (he is willing to do biweekly checkups through the second trimester, something my old doctor did not want to do) and just wait and see?
For baby Jackson, born an angel 12/11/12

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests