When to try again?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 00:04 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: When to try again?

Postby sam10 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 02:55 am

I would ask the OB why specifically you should wait that long. it sounds like the standard answer. does s/he know you require IVF? docs can forget such details. you might want to consider a second opinion, plus a consult with an MFM due to your history of PE.
MC 3/2009 and 3/2011
H (1/1/2010-1/7/2010) - forever loved and missed; severe PE with Hellp; partial placental abruption, classical c-section at 25.6 weeks
M (Nov. 2012, born at 35.4 weeks) - severe PE

Registered User
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:16 pm

Re: When to try again?

Postby Maplecat6 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 07:51 pm

I had a classical c-section and Eclampsia at 27 weeks with #3. I went to a pre-conception appointment with my MFM four months later and he told me I didn't need to wait to get pregnant. Nobody in my county is doing VBACs with my type of incision, so that might have influenced his opinion. The subsequent pregnancy and delivery went fine.
Amy, mom to almost 5
Quinn, 4/28/06, no complications
Lou, 5/8/09, no complications
Rosie, 3/13/11-3/29/11, eclampsia at 27 weeks and then died from NEC
Sara, 5/3/12, no complications other than an obscene amount of monitoring
Baby #5 due in 2/15

Registered User
Posts: 1195
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 01:38 am

Re: When to try again?

Postby angieb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 01:16 pm

I am kinda surprised they are having you wait so long after a normal c-section. With DD, I had a classic c-section (vertical) at 23 weeks, they wanted me to wait 6 months to year because that type of incision is riskier than typical low transverse c-sections. after ds1 (normal c-section at 36 wks), they wanted me to wait at least a year between deliveries (so like 3 months). I got pregnant with DS2 when DS1 was 9 months, they are 18 months apart and it went well. at the very least, could you do an egg retrieval soonish then FET? Studies indicate that FET's have as high or higher rates of success as fresh transfers at good clinics.
Me (29) DH (30)
#1-Olivia Caetlyn-9-28-09-9-28-09, 23+2 wks, emergency classic c-section, class I HELLP, IUGR
#2- Lucas Oliver (rainbow baby)- April 2011, 36+2 wks, HELLP and pre-e free! (lovenox and LDA pregnancy)
#3-Matthew, late October 2012...mostly normal, 37 wks, (lovenox and LDA again)
My blog: http://www.butterflies-and-rainbows.blogspot.com/

Registered User
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:59 am

Re: When to try again?

Postby mirelas75 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 05:05 pm

I am in the same situation, but my OB says that I should wait 6mo, another one said it would be better to wait 8mo. I guess it's linked to how well the operation healed. I am only in my 3rd week after giving birth of a dead child at 37we... so not sure what they will say at the 6we checkup. I also have low reserved and got pregnant by AIS, so really worried that I will ever be pregnant again... any hint on how to preserve the reserve until can get pregnant again?

Registered User
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:26 am

When to try again?

Postby cmcdoug » Tue Aug 12, 2014 09:49 am

I had severe PE with my first resulting in c-section @35weeks. At my 6wk check up my OB said I shouldn't try for bub number 2 for at least 12 months preferably 18 months. Problem is that I require IVF and am in short supply of eggs and thus time. Any ideas why she recommended this? Due to PE or c-section or both? Any suggestions on how long I should wait?? I'm ready to try now but is 6months too soon?

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests