Trying again and terrified

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
alviarin
Forum Moderator

Re: Trying again and terrified

Postby alviarin » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:10 pm

I'm glad everything has checked out ok so far with your heart and underlying disorder testing.

For me personally it took years to consider having a third child, even always having wanted at least three children. The second wasn't *as* scary for me, since I knew my odds of getting pre-e again were lower in a second pregnancy. Still had plenty of anxious moments though!

Most people I know, who are lucky enough to have counseling covered by insurance, start looking for in-network providers close by. If they don't feel in the first appointment or so that they are a good fit, they move on to the next.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!
Hypothyroid mom to
Connor (severe pre-e at 38 weeks)
Claire (dx'd with pre-e and induction at 37 weeks)
Annabelle (chronic HTN & GD, superimposed pre-e @34 weeks, induction @37 weeks)

melfos

Trying again and terrified

Postby melfos » Tue Sep 16, 2014 07:43 pm

I have been on here for a long time now, but just now getting around to posting for the first time. I had preeclampsia turning severe around 31 weeks and then resulting in a csection at 33 weeks. My daughter spent 21 days in the NICU, but had no major issues and is now doing great at 19 months.

I always wanted 2-3 kids, and prior to getting pre-e, I had a super easy pregnancy and felt great, actually better than normal. Like I was totally meant to be pregnant. In fact, I never even felt bad during all of my pre-e. I mostly had high bp with slightly elevated proteins, and that is it. Bed rest made me very depressed, although I was otherwise feeling just fine.

In preparation for getting pregnant again, I have seen my OB, as well as a cardiologist who is excellent and will be monitoring any bp issues. I have had lots of bloodwork done and he has checked out my heart and ruled out any underlying disorders. I am now trying to schedule an appointment with Maternal Fetal Medicine. I am realizing that I am totally terrified to get pregnant. I have cried about it several times, my anxiety surrounding it is growing, and I am worried it will just get worse.

So that brings me here. Does anyone have any pre-pregnancy advice? Also, for those that have seen a therapist or counselor, is there any advice on finding a good one? I have never looked for a therapist before, but I'm starting to think it might be necessary given this anxiety.

Thank you so much in advance.

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”