Officially Trying Again

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
shanajohnson

Re: Officially Trying Again

Postby shanajohnson » Sat Dec 27, 2014 03:46 am

I am 23 weeks pregnant, 9 years after having my son at 36 weeks (he was 4lbs 3oz) due to severe Preeclampsia. I had mild Preeclampsia from 28/29 weeks with him, and was on meds at 32 weeks. To date my pressures are good and I passed my baseline kidney and liver function. The hardest part has been living with the constant fear and anxiety, and I have a lot of nightmares. Like Caryn, I avoid talking with people about it IRL. I wish I had seen a therapist before I was pregnant, I think it would have been easier if I knew some of the strategies that I now know from the start! I hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

mrsnickson

Postby mrsnickson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 05:11 pm

Best of luck in your journey! I should be receiving the OK to ttc again very soon and I'm also worried about what the next time will be like.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 08:17 pm

I was able to just push it to the side and not think about it, mostly by virtue of not discussing it with hardly anyone IRL. I don't know if that would be an option for you or if it would help. Glad your OB makes you comfortable - that is so huge.
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

JMEV

Postby JMEV » Tue Nov 11, 2014 06:25 pm

Thanks Caryn :)
My OB, who is phenomenal (and helped me keep my sanity during my 2 months of bed rest), is very positive about a good outcome for number 2 and has reassured me that I will be very closely monitored from the beginning.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Nov 08, 2014 06:34 pm

I had a second child 11 years after my preeclampsia pregnancy. :)
Science! The articles you don't want to miss:
The Preeclampsia Puzzle (New Yorker) and Silent Struggle: A New Theory of Pregnancy (New York Times)
Looking for recent articles and studies?
A chance to participate in research? For us on Facebook or Twitter?

Caryn, @carynjrogers, who is not a doctor and who talks about science stuff *way* too much
DS Oscar born by emergent C-section at 34 weeks for fetal indicators, due to severe PE
DD Bridget born by C-section after water broke at 39 weeks after a healthy pregnancy

JMEV

Officially Trying Again

Postby JMEV » Fri Nov 07, 2014 04:43 pm

My husband and I had always wanted 2 or 3 children but after a complicated first pregnancy its taken me a little while to be ready. Despite having pre-eclampsia with my daughter, all in all we were pretty lucky. I was diagnosed at 28 weeks but with very careful monitoring and blood pressure medication we made it to 36 weeks with relatively few issues other than the constant stress of knowing what could happen. My daughter was unexpectedly IUGR (4lbs 11oz at 36 weeks!) but otherwise healthy and is about to turn 2. After coming to the conclusion that I was ready to try again a couple of months ago (we will stop at 2 kids), I have just been given the green light by doctors. Right now I am excited about it, but I know the anxiety will set in once I am pregnant again! I am curious about what others' experiences with this were. Thanks!

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”