Need reassurance about ttc after a loss...

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
jenh

Re: Need reassurance about ttc after a loss...

Postby jenh » Fri Jan 09, 2015 03:48 pm

I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby. It's great that you're meeting with an MFM to make a pregnancy plan. That helped my peace of mind greatly.

The general advice about the risk of recurrence is that the earlier and more severely you got it the first time, the greater the risk it will happen again. BUT if it does happen again, it's usually later and milder. No one can guarantee anything, but there is hope that you can bring home a baby even if you have PE again. My own first pregnancy ended with a premature induction due to severe PE (and I believe undiagnosed HELLP). My second ended with a term induction for mild PE. (My third involved very early mild PE which progressed slowly but ended up severe post partum, but it was with twins so not really comparable.)

As far as preventing it, so far none of the research has come up with anything. Low dose aspirin, which you're already on, seems to help a small percentage of women, but it doesn't help everyone. I personally have an autoimmune disorder as one of my risk factors, so I went on a low inflammation diet a year prior to TTC (we're currently trying). I don't have a shred of researched evidence that it will help, but it makes sense as a possibility that lowering my overall autoimmune response could help my body react more appropriately to a foreign placenta. Even if it doesn't prevent/lessen PE, I went into remission just one month into my diet change, lost 33lb without trying and have kept it off without trying, and feel better than I ever have in my life, so it's still been worthwhile.
Jen
Wife to Brett 6/30/02
Mom to Ethne Joy 10/12/03, 35 weeks, severe PE
Mom to Catie Grace 12/8/06, 37 weeks, mild PE
Mom to Riley Faith and Gavin Arthur 7/7/09, 36 weeks, PIH 22 weeks, PE 31 weeks, severe post partum PE
Mom to four angels Grace (12/15/05), Ian (7/28/08), Declan (5/23/15), and Lucy (11/24/15)

KetchupSpud

Re: Need reassurance about ttc after a loss...

Postby KetchupSpud » Thu Jan 08, 2015 06:20 am

Bump!
Mama to Logan Patrick (8/23/14-8/26/14) & Bryce Anthony (8/23/14-9/13/14), frateral twins born at 23w5d due to severe pre-e turning into HELLP.
Hoping for a rainbow in Sept '16.

mrsnickson

Need reassurance about ttc after a loss...

Postby mrsnickson » Mon Jan 05, 2015 06:36 pm

I lost my daughter almost 4 months ago after developing severe pre-e at 19 weeks and being forced to deliver at 20 weeks to save my life. My high BP has been gone over a month now, off meds for at least 1.5 months, all tests have come back that I'm healthy (except MTHFR which no dr. Seems to care about) and have been given the ok to ttc again. I have an appointment with an MFM on 1/9 so I'm hoping to get some answers and to have a plan for next time. I know my case is considered unique & very severe because I started having high blood pressure around 15 weeks, protein developed at 19 weeks along with swelling. Anyone else have pre-e this severe or early and have future healthy, or at least mild pre-e, pregnancies? I could use some motivation to be positive. Last time I was pretty stressed because I was working a lot and my blood work kept coming back funny so for about 7 weeks we weren't even sure if Charlotte was healthy or not. This time I want to be as stress free as possible and that includes being super positive about this pregnancy.

And also, any suggestions to consider to reduce risk of pre-e? I've been taking baby aspirin once every other day for now and switched my vitamins to non-synthetic folic acid (because of the MTHFR).

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”