Past partum pre-e twice

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
beth.arias

Re: Past partum pre-e twice

Postby beth.arias » Tue Sep 29, 2015 05:12 pm

Thank you for your reply. It's always nice to hear positive feedback about the decision to try again. Family and friends aren't quite as supportive. I often get "is it worth not seeing your kids not grow up just to have another baby?" I also have a friend that told me "everything we do in life has risks, going to pick up a pizza has risks. Does that make you a selfish mother? We can't live our lives in fear". It's such a hard decision to make and I'm really hoping my mfm can give me some good information one way or the other so I'm not stuck in the unknown.

MomTimesThree
Forum Moderator

Re: Past partum pre-e twice

Postby MomTimesThree » Mon Sep 28, 2015 06:33 am

Hi welcome to the boards,

I didn't have postpartum pre-e, so I can't speak to that experience, but I will say what changes pregnancy from pregnancy, especially when there are similar scenarios is that you, and your medical team become very proactive and know what to look for, and sometimes, not always, that makes a huge difference.

Thinking about being pregnant again after complications.. is well... complicated! :) Keep posted as you meet with your MFM again. I found having lots of information and reviewing scenarios helped feeling as confident as possible with our decisions.

Best,
Lauren
2008-Our Baby Girl, PTL born too early at 30w6d, Fought so hard... Forever Loved & Missed
2010- Lil' Bro, Pre-E at 29 weeks... Induced at 36w6d, Born 37w
2012- Lil' Sis, Super-imposed pre-e at 25 weeks, PTL & GD at 35 weeks, Evicted 36w

beth.arias

Past partum pre-e twice

Postby beth.arias » Mon Sep 14, 2015 05:44 pm

I'm new to this group and just thought I would give a small background as I'm now tossing around the idea of having another baby but obviously am quite scared.

First pregnancy, bp elevated around 37 weeks, delivered with scheduled induction at 39.5 and all was well.

Second pregnancy bp elevated around 38 weeks but not enough to warrant hospitalization or early delivery. If I recall it was usually around 130/90. I was induced at 39 weeks and sent home 2 days post delivery. I developed a terrible headache at 3 days pp so I went to the ER where they did a blood patch and gave me a bag of fluids. Bp wasn't great, 140-150/95 but they assumed it was from the headache. Discharged home. Day 6 pp I couldn't sleep as I couldn't lay down without becoming short of breath so I googled and was either a punctured lung or fluid in my lungs, I called my ob as I didn't want to go back to the ER for nothing and she told me to go in for fear of a blood clot. Ekg was normal but blood gas showed oxygen at 50% so a ct scan and chest X-ray were performed. Showed fluid in my lungs. Next an echocardiogram was done and showed my Ef at 50 and normal is 55-60. I was started on iv Lasix and admitted to the cardiac unit. Spent 3 days with a terrible headache but as soon as fluid was taken care of I could breathe better and headaches got better. No protein in my urine so they labeled it as post partum cardiomyopathy.

I decided to have a third child because I love being a mother. I met with a cardiologist who did a cardiac Mri and saw no damage. Met with mfm group who gave the go ahead and said they thought it was unlikely that I had post partum cardiomyopathy but instead either fluid retention or post partum preeclampsia. All was well throughout the pregnancy until 36 weeks when my bp crept up again but would be up then down up then down. Again no protein in my urine. Had headaches but not terrible. Experienced changes in vision but that happened with all 3 of my pregnancies. I was induced at 39 weeks and sent home as bp wasn't great but not awful, 140/90. I again started to have difficulty breathing around 4 days pp but gave it another day as it wasn't as bad as the pregnancy before. That night I couldn't sleep and decided to go to the ER in the morning. Chest X-ray showed fluid again so Lasix was administered. Bp was very high, 190/110 or higher so I was put on bp mess and mag sulfate for 24 hrs. Discharged home on bp mess and was able to get off of them by 6 weeks pp. it's been normal since.

Sorry for the novel but I wanted to give some background. Have any of you had pp pre e more than once? What was your Drs take on it? How was your pregnancy handled? Did it return again? I asked my mfm before I was discharged if this meant no more babies and he said not necessarily as they would likely give bp meds and Lasix right after delivery.

Anyway just looking for stories, experience, research, thoughts, etc. I so want to have another baby but also want to make sure I'm not putting my life in danger as I have 3 kids ages 5, 3 and almost 1.

My plan is to meet with my mfm dr again before making any decisions to get his thoughts/what we could do. I also would like to wait a year or so before trying but not too long as I'm almost 33.

Thanks in advance!!!

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”