Should I see a specialist

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
Registered User
Posts: 3423
Joined: Thu May 08, 2003 10:26 am

Re : Should I see a specialist

Postby angelkat » Wed Aug 04, 2004 04:56 am

It's hard enough trying not to worry about PE hitting when preg but I think it's a little easier on the mind if you start of with a Peri and they will be with you from the start and know completely your history instead of being brought into during a critical time...

Good luck

Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site ... ope&Sort=V

maxs mom
Registered User
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 08:12 pm

Re : Should I see a specialist

Postby maxs mom » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:14 pm

Getting PE early makes your chances of getting it again higher. I really think you should see a specialist. You want to be treated like you have a high likelyhood of getting PE aqain so everyone is ready if it shows up again. There is nothing worse than getting brushed off while your PG and docs telling you you are fine when you are not. Yes, chances are higher that you won't get it again, but there is still a chance you will. With chances like that, who wants to gamble? Definitely see a specialist!

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE

Registered User
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 09:28 pm

Re : Should I see a specialist

Postby sharonda » Tue Aug 03, 2004 04:42 pm

I just had my consultation with a peri and it made me feel so at ease. At first, he told me all of the statistics. Afterwards, he told me everything that he was going to do to help me in my next pregnancy. It was so helpful to know that he had patients that had HELLP and severe Pre E. He knows what he is doing. He knows what tests you need and what to look for.

Besides, two doctors are better than one.

ShaRonda (29)
Amaya - HELLP and severe Pre-E at 21 weeks

for faith
Registered User
Posts: 1749
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 02:15 pm

Re : Should I see a specialist

Postby for faith » Mon Aug 02, 2004 01:47 pm

I agree also. I had mild PE with my son (thought it was just PIH, but the high-risk OB just told me last week it was PE), he was born at 36 weeks, then my daughter was born at 30 weeks due to severe PE (she passed away 25 days later). So it my case my second was more severe than the first. I have just visited a high-risk OB, from recommendations here and had tons of tests done. Still waiting for the results, but am so happy that I did. I will at least know now if I do have an underlying condition and will be watched so closely with my next pregnancy.

I wish you test and a wonderfully normal pregnancy. Good luck!!!!

mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH)
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC & Sepsis(preemie complications))

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 9/02

Registered User
Posts: 934
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:38 am

Re : Should I see a specialist

Postby wcarder » Mon Aug 02, 2004 01:38 pm

I too had a 30 weeker/3 pounder who is now almost FIVE! When my husband and I decided we wanted another baby, I decided to research PE a little more, and found this place. They encouraged me to see a specialist and have a preconception consultation. So, I did and found out I may have an underlying autoimmune disease and/or blood clottting disorder! Both of these factors can relate to PE. I had a positive ANA, but Lupus was negative, and I had a positive test for a blood clotting disorder called APS. Anyway, things are still under investigation - I have to be re-tested in 6 weeks, but luckily I am on my way to getting things figured out and resolved so my next pregnancy stands a better chance of being PE -free. I would STRONGLY suggest you see a peri and get all of the necessary tests done. You can never be too safe!
DD ~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE

Registered User
Posts: 5139
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:17 am
Location: Anchorage, AK

Re : Should I see a specialist

Postby laura » Mon Aug 02, 2004 01:26 pm

Oh dear... the single greatest risk factor for developing preeclampsia in a subsequent pregnancy is having had preeclampsia before! And generally, the rule of thumb goes- the earlier you get it, and the more severely you get it, the greater the chances of recurrence. I definitely think a peri consult is in order! You can find peris that specialize in hypertensive pregnancies at and general peris at http://www.smfm. org

Best wishes, and best of luck with you next pregnancy!

Moderator/AK Coordinator

Mom to Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 and Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03

Registered User
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2004 09:46 pm

Re : Should I see a specialist

Postby tinalowe » Mon Aug 02, 2004 01:11 pm

Go with your gut!! I would definetely see a peri before ttc again! Though they may be low, there is still a chance it will happen again. My regular ob, while great, was not informed enough about pre-e. I didn't realize it until I started researching it myself!

Tina 23
DH Dereck 26

Emma Victoria stillborn 12-28-03

patricks mommy
Registered User
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:54 am

Should I see a specialist

Postby patricks mommy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 01:08 pm

Hello everyone, I am new here. I have a 3 year old son who was born at 30 wks due to PE. He was 3lbs 4 oz and spent 31 days in the NICU. He is doing great now, he was just a "feed and grow" so we were incredibly lucky.

My husband and I are now considering trying for #2. It is a very tough decision. I met with my regular OB/GYN last week for my annual and I asked him if I should see a specialist or undergo any testing. He said no, that it hardly ever occurs a second time and if it does, it is not severe. He is a good doc but my gut is telling not to listen to him. He was good with the last pregnancy, but a lot of the other doctors in the practice kept telling me that I was fine and nothing was wrong and to just call back if the floaters showed up again, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on if I should see a specialist, also please e-mail me if anyone has a doctor in the Northern Virginia/Washington DC area that they would recommend. Thanks!

Patrick born 06/12/01 at 30 wks due to PE

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests