New/Reply FAQ Members Login

Blood Pressure Wrist Watches

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Blood Pressure Wrist Watches

Postby rachelt » Thu Aug 05, 2004 09:00 am

Hello All,

New here and waiting to TTC in a couple of months. I don't know if this sounds stupid, but did anyone consider buying bloodpressure watches, to monitor their bloodpressure when we become pregnant? I mention the watches because we can travel anywhere with them.

If so, I found a site http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search;_ylc=X3oDMTFqam1mMGkzBF9TAzk2MDc5MjYwBGsDYmxvb2QgcHJlc3N1cmUgd2F0Y2gEc2VjA2tiBHNsawN0aXRsZQ--?p=blood+pressure+watch

-Rachel T.

Michael Elijah George Graham Stillborn June 12, 2004
My Precious Angel Baby
rachelt

Re : Blood Pressure Wrist Watches

Postby denise » Thu Aug 05, 2004 06:45 pm

Hmm, I've never seen these before. Interesting to find out if they work good or not. Hopefully someone here can chime in on them.

-------
Denise (28)
Jason (31)
Ariana (15 months)-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP
TTC #2 starting in October!
http://hometown.aol.com/scrapperlang/Home.htm
denise

Postby 5thtymachrm » Thu Aug 05, 2004 08:19 pm

I know that in the medical practice i worked in , we considered any BP device that was on the wrist to be incorrect, as much as 15 points off what you really are. I would call and ask your peri what they think of it.

This info is provided from pluspregnancy.org in their bp cuff sizing information:

"Blood Pressure Readings on the Forearm

If there is no large blood pressure cuff available, or if the circumference of a person's arm exceeds the guidelines of the largest blood pressure cuff available, it is possible to take a blood pressure reading on a person's forearm (Singer, 1999). This technique is sometimes used on people who are extremely large in an emergency when there is no thigh cuff available or if the thigh cuff is too small for the person's arm. (Many thigh cuffs are accurate only to about 20 inches.)

However, the validity of forearm blood pressure measurement is questionable. Providers must be cautious about relying on forearm measurements, as the results may not be accurate. For example, the journal American Family Physician, writing in its article, "Medical Care for Obese Patients: Advice for Health Care Professionals," states:

If the upper arm circumference exceeds 50 cm [19.6 inches], the American Heart Association recommendations suggest using a cuff on the forearm and feeling for the appearance of the radial pulse at the wrist to estimate systolic blood pressure. The recommendations note that the accuracy of forearm measurement has not been validated.

Graves (2001) notes that while forearm blood pressure readings are possible, "These readings are not usually performed as falsely higher diastolic blood pressure readings may be obtained." Singer (1999) found that readings were within 20 mm Hg in the majority of people, which is not that significant in an emergency situation with non-pregnant people. However, a difference of 20 points can make a lot of difference in treatment decisions in pregnancy.

If a blood pressure is truly needed (like in an emergency situation) and there are no other options, a forearm measurement can offer an approximate idea of what a person's blood pressure is likely to be. Since many extremely obese people have blood pressure issues and this can lead to significant health problems, forearm BPs remain an option if no other choice exists. Better to have some idea of a person's blood pressure than none at all.

However, forearm readings are not an adequate substitute for proper equipment under normal circumstances. There are other options that should be pursued instead whenever possible. For example, some "thigh" cuffs are available now that are accurate for arm sizes above 20 inches. In addition, as noted above, www.amplestuff.com sells blood pressure cuffs that are accurate for extremely large arms, up to 35 inches in circumference. So there are better alternatives available than forearm blood pressure readings.

If your arm is significantly larger than 16-17 inches or so, you may want to purchase your own blood pressure cuff so that you do not have to worry whether your provider has a large enough cuff. If your arm size is over 20 inches, you should definitely consider buying your own properly-sized cuff because your provider is unlikely to carry a cuff appropriate for your arm.

Because forearm blood pressure readings are not validated to be accurate and because high blood pressure in pregnancy leads to so many interventions, forearm blood pressure readings should not be used in pregnancy except in unusual emergency situations where no other options are available. Otherwise, the proper sized cuff should be purchased and used consistently.

Either work with your provider to have them purchase the proper cuff for you, or you buy the cuff for them with the understanding that you will receive a partial discount on your prenatal bills. However, the best choice of all may be to buy your own and take it with you to every appointment and to the hospital."

good luck![:D]

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03 csec,PE,IUGR,chronic HBP,hypothyroid,asthma,hyperemesis,33wks on BR.
4 prev. m/c's
ttc #2 is a go!
5thtymachrm

Postby jenndola » Thu Aug 05, 2004 08:44 pm

I'm with Elizabeth on this one. At the pharmacy I work in, we had one behind the counter, and we'd take 2 readings in a row and get 20 points of difference. When we got bored we'd start doing it just for laughs, because we found the differences so entertaining (we're easily amused). It'd be a great idea if they really worked, but I haven't seen any that give consistent, accurate readings.

Jenn
Angel Maggie stillborn due to HELLP Syndrome & PIH at 19.5 wks
Missed miscarriage/D&C 14 weeks
Miscarriage 6 weeks
Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
I'm putting my perinatologist's kids through college!
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby angelkat » Thu Aug 05, 2004 09:36 pm

I'm with everyone else on it... The wrist machines are not realible. Unfortunally the best way is to do them the old fashion way.

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(13)PE 37 wks
Ky (11)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey Looking at Aug
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby tracey » Fri Aug 06, 2004 06:19 am

Rachel
I actually purchased one of these after leaving the hospital last time. I kept it in the box, in case I needed to return it until my next Internal-Medicine appointment at which time I compared it to the reading they got and it was pretty much bang on with their reading. My mom has an arm cuff one, and though I have never taken them at the same time to compare, what I get from hers is consistent with what I get on mine.
By the way, I chose this one, like you said, because it was so easy to take with you -- like to work, even!
So I really don't know. Maybe it depends on the brand? I guess the only thing you can do is double check it against your doctor's reading. I'm also going to take mine back to double check, as I always end up in different rooms at the peri's office. I hate the thought of it being inaccurate, but I would feel better knowing...

Tracey
mama to
angel Ila Elizabeth (02.06.04),
pea-in-the-pod, EDD 04.01.05
tracey

Postby rachelt » Fri Aug 06, 2004 07:04 am

Thank you for your input ladies, I would hate to purchase one and have it be unrealiable. Tracey, what brand was yours?

-Rachel T.

Michael Elijah George Graham Stillborn June 12, 2004
My Precious Angel Baby
rachelt

Postby raindrop » Fri Aug 06, 2004 05:10 pm

I also have one that I purchased when I was preg with Wyatt and took it by the Dr and all for them to check and it was within 1-2 points of what they got. That is what I take my BP with here at home and run it by the Dr. He has never said they were inaccurate or anything. Just checked with what they were getting and so long as I did it like the directions say. It is right on. Which you have to be sitting with the BP cuff on your wrist and your wrist elevated to heart level. Standing or anything will make it way off... even talking.

Donna - 32
Richard - 33
Whitney Lynn Rochelle- 6-27-99 - (36 wks due to PE) 5lbs 2oz 18in long
Wyatt Elijah Lawrence- 7-3-03 (34wks 6days due to PIH/PE) 4lbs 6.8oz 17in long
Expecting #3 EDD March 3, 2005 - gallstones

http://www.geocities.com/raindropzplace/Wyatt.html?1057812569412

http://www.imagestation.com/member/?name=raindrop1971

raindrop

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia