May be PG, but....

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
samarasmom

Re : May be PG, but....

Postby samarasmom » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:37 am

kara
when i got pregnant with my last son I had taken a pg test and I thought I was seeing a line and I jerked the test. Well the test appeared neg. so I threw it away. I had a feeling so I went back 30 minutes later and there was a faint line. I called the doc to make sure my head wasnt playing tricks on me and I was preg. Also the docs can start to watch your HCG levels at any time. I suffered 2 miscarraiges last year so I know the anxiety and fear that comes with a new preg. It is normal to have these feelings. I remember when I was told that I was pregnant with Samara 2 wks after I had lost my last baby all I did was cry in fear of having to lose a 3rd child. Well she is here so that just goes to show that there is some hope. I am hoping that all is well for you. I will pray for a healthy preg. Take care and no stress please. Easier said than done I know,

Sandra 23
elijah 05/06/99
isaiah 03/25/02
samara 07/21/04

sarab
Site Admin

Postby sarab » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:25 am

Hey Kara,

Oh, the range of emotions we go through during times like these! I'm sorry that you are going through this all right now. Congratulations on the possible pregnancy, btw!

We were on clomid when I got pregnant with Maggie. I waited until 17 DPO before testing because I was nervous (but having a pretty good idea of when I "should" have ovulated because of the clomid). I got the FAINTEST line, like you, and I wasn't even sure if it was really there. I waited 2 more days (so 19 DPO) and tested again, and it was still very faint, so I went to the doctor's the next day. All they said was "Congratulations, you're pregnant", and I didn't worry too much about it. Turns out I was already about 5 weeks along.

Now with this pregnancy, we weren't trying by any means. We weren't preventing, either, but certainly weren't expecting it, as I don't ovulate on my own (beginning to doubt that one...[}:)]!). On a whim, one day I bought a pregnancy test, and low and behold, BRIGHT PINK LINE! The stick was practically glowing. Since I had NO IDEA how far along I was, I figured I had to be well into it to get such a bright result. Turns out, I was only 3 weeks along when I tested, in fact I tested on the very first possible day I could have gotten a positive, using a 3 dollar Wal-Mart test, no less.

Now the thing I'm starting to wonder about is that with Maggie I was hardly sick at all. Occasional nausea for an hour in the morning, but that was about it. This time, however, things are MUCH worse. [xx(] Now this is just "medicine according to Sara" [:p], but I am wondering if Maggie didn't "take" as well, and that's why I got such a faint result and didn't really "feel" all that pregnant. Thankfully, I didn't miscarry and all is well now, but that's just something I have been thinking about. It will be interesting to see how this pregnancy goes.

Wow, I didn't realize I had written so much. Sorry for the novel! Anyway, in answer to your question (it's about time, right?), I had a VERY faint line when I was already 5 weeks along, and went on to have a "succesful" pregnancy.

I hope that everything works out for the best for you, Kara. I will be thinking about you tomorrow. Let us know what happens!

Sara, 24
Local Coordinator, Utah
Moderator, "After Your Baby is Born"

DH, Scott, 26
Maggie Lylas, 6/9/03, 29 weeks, severe pre-e
Surprise, surprise! #2 EDD March 10, 2005

http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/maggielylas/

maxs mom

Postby maxs mom » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:17 am

Julie,
I did a search. I was using First response, then switched to EPT. I got the faintest line with first response (yesterday), which picks up 25 mIU. With EPT, today, I got a faint line, but darker than First Response, and it only picks up 40 mIU. So, I think this is a big positive.

i guess the other thing is, I don't have a clue when I ovulated. I wasn't charting or looking for signs, since I thought i was supposed to be getting AF. So I guess even though we BD'd 14 days ago, I could have ovulated 10-11 days ago, so that would still be early to test. so I guess that is another positive.

So maybe now I am not as worried and am getting a little more excited, cautiously.
Kara

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:12 am

Kara, congratulations....! As Julie says, a line is a line is a line!

These tests aren't quantitative at all so you'll only worry yourself insane if you keep going this route.

Getting the blood draw will make things clearer. It's a mixed blessing, having to go back and forth, comparing the numbers etc., that also is un-nerving. These early days are so 'teeth-grittingly' edgy that I really feel for you.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

julie f

Postby julie f » Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:11 am

Kara,

I just tried to search on the Forums but, for some reason my search form isn't downloading... I went to the web and did a search for "home pregnancy test sensitivity" and came up with quite a few results. I didn't want to post the links because a lot of them looked like they were also trying to sell their products but, there were tons of comparisons between tests on their sites if you want to look it up.

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

julie f

Postby julie f » Sun Aug 08, 2004 09:59 am

Kara,

Oh my goodness, surprise huh?! I'm going to go ahead and say congratulations because, a line is a line I think!

With Zach, I tested 3 days before I was supposed to get AF and got a very very faint line. So faint that I also thought my mind was playing tricks on me and I threw the test away. The next day, tested again and there was still a faint line but, this time I was sure I could see it. I was using First Response.

This pregnancy, I tested the day I was supposed to get AF and I got a very faint line with EPT. It was so faint that it took me 5 pg tests to actually believe it...!

I think there was a thread about home pg test sensitivities not too long ago, I'll see if I can pull it for you.

I know it's a huge mixture of emotions right now to be pg again, especially if the timing wasn't exactly what you had planned. I am praying for a very sticky little baby for you and a very uneventful nine more months!!

Let us know what your doctor says!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator

maxs mom

May be PG, but....

Postby maxs mom » Sun Aug 08, 2004 09:13 am

To refresh everyone's memory, I went to my OB last month. He was going to put me on Clomid, but I started AF then stopped, so he had me take progestrone for 7 days and he said any AF I had would stop and then he said 5-10 days later I would get AF and then start clomid on day 4 of AF. Well AF never stopped completly during the progestrone and 5-10 days later i never got AF. So I have been waiting, 10 days after progestrone would have been the 25th, so it's been two weeks waiting for AF. Well, i decided to take a test, just to see if i could be PG. I took one yesterday morning, and i could swear there was a pink line, but it was so faint my eyes could have been playing tricks on me. so I changed tests to EPT, because I once read it could pick up the lowest levels of HCG of any other test. Took it this morning, and saw a faint line, but this time it is definitely there, but faint. So I think I am PG. Now here is the but part...

So, based on the times we BD'd, I am either 5 days PG or 14, I think more likely 14, 5 days wouldn't register. Well the first time I was PG, I had a faint line at 14 days, and I ended up having a miscarriage. i don't think the PG ever took very well. so now I am concerned. When I had Max, I tested at 12 days and I got a solid pink line. So i am feeling like this PG may not be taking. I am going to call my Ob tomorrow to see if he can do some blood draws to measure HCG growth, so then I will know for sure.

I have mixed feelings. First i am bummed because I was really expecting to know when I was going to try and get PG. These last two weeks I have had horrible allergies and asthma and have been taking a lot of inhalers and medicine. IF i had known I was PG, i would have been taking something else. I also wanted to try for a girl, but who knows, i still have a 49% chance this could be a girl. I want to be excited for being PG, but i am also worried that it may not be taking. What a mix of emotions. Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have some answers.

So, I would love to hear from those of you who had faint or negative pregnancy tests but went on to have a succesful PG.
Thanks for listening!
Kara

Kara (34)
DH, John (36)
Max, 1/20/03, 25 wks, 534g. (IUGR), severe PE
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/mightymax/

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”