looking to locate a perinatologist -How?

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.
Dawn D

Re : looking to locate a perinatologist -How?

Postby Dawn D » Sun Aug 15, 2004 08:46 pm

thanks again for all of the useful suggestions. I am beginning to research in my area and appreciate your messages.

annegarrett

Postby annegarrett » Sat Aug 14, 2004 02:32 pm

I totally agree with Catherine...call Labor and Delivery late on a Saturday night and ask the nurses on call who they would recommend.

Another good idea is find the Peri from the nasshp.org closest (even if that peri is a state away) and email them or call their office and ask them to recommend someone with experience in your region. These folks are used to having to serve a broad area and can consult (via long-distance) and know "who's who." (this sounds like a good new section for the website, doesn't it Captn Catherine?!)

Take care,

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation

catherine
Forum Moderator

Postby catherine » Sat Aug 14, 2004 09:51 am

Dawn, some states have more MFMs than others. My own has relatively few but this is somewhat compensated for by telemedcine conferencing and a statewide referral hotline that can connect OBs and family practice doctors to more expertise when they need it.

If you find that you are at a great distance from a perinatologist, you may have to consider some other options. Some perinatologists will share care, and may even be able to recommend good high-risk OBs closer to your geographic location.

Another trick that I was recently recommended and have shared with other folk who claim that it worked like a charm for them is:

a)decide where you would like to deliver. Obviously your prior experience has taught you the critical importance of a good NICU, be it right on site, or easily transferred to KWIM?

b) the pool of OBs that you are seeking are those who have admitting privileges at that hospital. You can then look them up in your insurance booklet to see if they accept your insurance

c) Phone L&D at a quiet time, usually lateish in the evening on the weekends. Tell the nurse(s) what you are looking for and who would they recommend. They will never tell you who to avoid, but they will know who they think would match your requirements with expertise, bedside manner etc. To some people that isn't very important (it wasn't for me) but if you can't feel comfortable with your OB then it makes it harder to work together. Obviously if they get busy, then you've got to hang up and try at another time. You should do this a few times to hit different shifts. The names that repeatedly come up.... those are the doctors that you should try to work with!!

Don't know if this helps any, but I have found through the people who tried it that it was a good way to "match", even though their pg issues weren't hypertensive.

HTH if you feel that your options are limited.

Catherine
Mom to Finn, Lucy (preeclampsia and HELLP) and Chloe.
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors

Dawn D

Postby Dawn D » Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:15 pm

Hi,
thanks for the welcome and the direction...I had tried nasshp but didn't find any in my area. I will try smfm and scrolling to look by my state. Again, thanks!
Dawn
Mya 3-2002 (30weeks)

laura

Postby laura » Wed Aug 11, 2004 09:35 pm

Hi Dawn, Welcome! I'm glad you found us!

Have you tried both the nasshp and smfm sites?
The nasshp site is of peris that specialize in hypertensive pregnancies:
http://www.nasshp.org

and the smfm site is just general peris:
http://www.smfm.org

You can also post down in your state's chapter section at the bottom of the main page in the forum- perhaps someone in your area might have some leads that they can send to you via email.

Best wishes and good luck!

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/

Dawn D

looking to locate a perinatologist -How?

Postby Dawn D » Wed Aug 11, 2004 09:20 pm

New to this board - so glad to have found it! My daughter was born in 3/2002 at 30 weeks - emergency c-section due to severe PE. We are thinking of getting pg again and after reading some of your posts, I think I should see a perinatologist. There is one site that lists a few drs by state, but the list did not seem complete. Can anyone direct me further?
Dawn
dd Mya

Return to “Trying Again after Preeclampsia”