The first steps towards ttc

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

The first steps towards ttc

Postby sjs40 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 01:20 am

Our appointment with my consultant is tomorrow morning. I am really hoping I get to see the man himself. Not sure how it is in USA but here in UK the consultant heads the team, but you may only get to see one of his registrars. When I went for my follow up last year I did see my consultant due to the circumstances so I am hopeful that I will get a fast-track to him again. What I want to avoid is seeing somebody who has 'just' read my notes and needs me to explain things. I will only get upset again.

I have a list of questions, most of which I am sure were answered last year, but it was only 3wks after Ellie died so my memory is hazy. Chris wasn't there for that appointment, but he is coming tomorrow, and we are planning on ttc in the new year. I also have an appointment with the diabetic clinic but that isn't until November. As I had GD they want to see me pre-ttc.

Im scared and excited at the same time. Having this appointment tomorrow makes it all seem so much closer and more real!

Sue (41)
Chris (38)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
24 July 03 - 20 August 03
sjs40

Re : The first steps towards ttc

Postby angelkat » Thu Sep 09, 2004 05:37 am

Sue,
I hope you get to see the head man when it comes to your consult. It's such an exciting time and scary time all in the same breathe. I can remember during my consult my emotions were all over the place...

Hang in there!!!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby 5thtymachrm » Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:18 am

I wish you the best of luck and pray you get the main doctor at this time too. It is very exciting and nerveracking to jump in(carefully jump in) I can only imagine your fears at this point.

Let us know how it all goes!

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03 csec,PE,IUGR,chronic HBP,hypothyroid,asthma,hyperemesis,33wks on BR. 5 m/c's
ttc #2
5thtymachrm

Postby for faith » Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:27 am

Sue - Wishing you the best, hope it all goes well. Let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH (just told by peri it was mild PE))
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC & Sepsis(preemie complications))

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 9/02
for faith

Postby jenndola » Thu Sep 09, 2004 09:13 pm

Sue, good luck! I know just how you feel--I was there just a few weeks ago. I hope all goes well. Know that we'll be thinking about you!

Jenn
Missed miscarriage/D&C 14 weeks
Angel Maggie stillborn due to HELLP Syndrome & PIH at 19.5 wks
Miscarriage 6 weeks
Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS)
TTC #4 is a go in November
I'm putting my perinatologist's kids through college!
jenndola
Forum Moderator

Postby sjs40 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 05:19 am

We just got back from our appointment and I was so relieved that I did get to see my actual consultant. He went over a lot of things and I was able to ask all of my questions too.
He basically said that due to my age and pcos I could have problems conceiving, then due to age and Ellie having Down syndrome there is an even higher risk of Downs next time, the GD is likely to happen again and that with my increased age, extra weight and previous severe PE point to me being very likely to get PE again.
As we would not choose to terminate for Down syndrome they would normally only scan at 16wks, but I would get an earlier scan for reassurance, and also an anomaly scan at 20wks. I would be seen by the high risk unit with scans/dopplers etc as felt necessary by them, and seen as often as they felt necessary. What was really reassuring was that he then said if I was worried about something they would see me even if it wasnt felt to be medically necessary, just to reassure me!

We are both happy that all possible care will be taken, and it is comforting to know that at the first sign of PE I would be admitted to hospital.

I now have to wait until 01 Nov for my diabetic consultation, then I will get my IUD removed at the end of Nov...

Sue (41)
Chris (38)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
sjs40

Postby angelkat » Fri Sep 10, 2004 05:29 am

Sue,

Glad your were able to see the doc you wanted to... Sounds like a very positive appt....

Can't wait to read that your pg...

Good Luck!

Hugs
~T
Moderator Grief and Loss
Mommy to
Drew(14)PE 37 wks
Ky (12)PE 34 wks
~i~ Katlyne(12/9/02-04/02/03)25 wks
Casey - 34wks Born 7/29/04
Katlyne's Tribute Site
http://forevernetwork.com/lifestories/lifestory.cfm?Archive_ID=10971&Directory=/Archives/MountHope&Sort=V
angelkat

Postby 5thtymachrm » Fri Sep 10, 2004 08:37 am

Oh I am so glad that went well. Sounds like your doc is on top of things. Were they doing any testing or had you already been tested for everything?

woohoo on getting the iud out! I had mine out in june- just letting you know it doesn't hurt at all to get it out. Having it put in was horrid, but I didn't even realize when she was taking it out-literally took less than 5 seconds.

good luck! Looks like we will be ttc about the same time :o)

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03 csec,PE,IUGR,chronic HBP,hypothyroid,asthma,hyperemesis,33wks on BR. 5 m/c's
ttc #2
5thtymachrm

Postby for faith » Fri Sep 10, 2004 09:21 am

Wonderful, glad this first step was great, wishing you the best. Can't wait to hear about your +++!!!

Jill
mommy to:
Tyler - 4 (36 wks, PIH (just told by peri it was mild PE))
Angel baby - 1/20/03 (11 wks)
Faith Kristine - 1/5/04-1/30/04 (30 weeks due to severe PE, passed due to NEC & Sepsis(preemie complications))

trying for #2 to share our lives with since 9/02
for faith

Postby sjs40 » Sun Sep 12, 2004 02:00 am

Thanks for all the encouragement. And thank you Elizabeth for letting me know it doesn't hurt having the iud taken out. Mine really hurt going in because I have a high cervix and although had given birth it was by c-section! I was dreading the same pain when it came out.

My iud is a Mirena which has stopped monthly bleeding (a big relief, as I have some small fibroids and was suffering with really heavy bleeds). They tell me that I should return to 'normal' ie have my period at an appropriate time after it is taken out. I wondered if anyone had any experience of this,like is it literally the 1st month?

Sue (41)
Chris (38)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
sjs40

Next

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia