Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Polycystic ovaries and TTC/ Preeclampsia

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Polycystic ovaries and TTC/ Preeclampsia

Postby nora » Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:50 am

by nora (257 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:50 am

Hi

I was wondering if there are any ladies here with pco and are trying to conceive. I have pco (I don't ovulate on my own). I got pregnant with my son after I did a laporascoyp to zap the cysts. My pregnancy ended up with pe at 26 weeks. It was very severe and very quick. I don't remember the Clomid protocol any more or ovulation for that matter. When do you plan intercouse? Is it 10 days counting from the first day of you period or is it depending on you cycles? These might sound like stupid questions but believe me it has been a while since I TTC. My son is now four years old.

Thanks for any input

Nora
nora

Re : Polycystic ovaries and TTC/ Preeclampsia

Postby annegarrett » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:34 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:34 am

There is a strong correlation between preeclampsia and polycystic ovarian syndrome. I don't know any of the references but maybe some of the other ladies do. As for the best fertility day--it is 10 days starting on the 1st day of your period but I am sure it will vary with cycles. Do you check your temperature, or the cervical mucous? Mucous is usually a good indicator of ovulation.

Anne Garrett
Executive Director
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby nora » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:34 am

by nora (257 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:34 am

Anne

You are right there must be a relationship between pco and pe. pco has so many symptoms. The only one I have is lack of ovulation. When my doctor diagnosed me with pco he was schocked that I have it because I was a skinny pcoer. He checked my testestorone and insulin levels and they were all normal. I did not have what they call insulin resistance.
I don't check my temperature because I really don't know when to check it. For me to have a period I have to take birth control pills for 7 days. Sometimes I would have spontaneous period without the pill but that happens every few months.

Nora
nora

Postby sjs40 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 01:15 pm

by sjs40 (288 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 01:15 pm

Hi Nora
I have pcos and lack of ovulation is one of my many problems, however Ellie was conceived the cycle before I was due to try Clomid again. Ellie was also conceived the month I had a negative day 21 progesterone test to check for ovulation! By lmp her due date was 13 Oct but by early scan her due date was 23 Oct....all pointing to a late ovulation. I didnt ever show ovulation when on Clomid before though, but maybe it was just they were testing me too early?

It is only since joining this board that I have found out about the link between pcos and pre eclampsia. I also had most of the other risk factors including gestational diabetes, and I am horrified now that I was not treated as a high risk pregnancy from the start. My pregnancy ended at 27wks after diagnosis at 26+4.

If I can help with any pcos related questions please feel free to email me.

Sue (41)
Chris (38)
DD Eleanor Susan (Ellie)
born at 27wks severe PE
24 July 03 - 20 August 03
sjs40

Postby nora » Thu Sep 09, 2004 06:54 pm

by nora (257 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 06:54 pm

Hi Sue

I am sorry for your loss. Are trying to conceive right now. I am in the process of getting my medical records sent to a peri. After the preconception meeting I will be seeing an RE. Who did you see for pco treatment an OB or RE? I think RE are a lot more knowlegeble. I was put on Clomid and it worked I just did not conceive on it. Then I did injection for few months which helped with the ovulation but no conception. I ended up doing laprascopy to zap the cysts and I ended up pregnant the same month of the surgery.

Please keep in touch. We seem to have similar problems.

Nora
nora

Postby 5thtymachrm » Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:36 pm

by 5thtymachrm (909 Posts), Thu Sep 09, 2004 08:36 pm

Hi Nora-
I also have PCOS, well diagnosed by 3 different OB's but still have yet to do all of the testing(probably will happen next month with an RE). I ovulate fairly late-typical-around cd30-35, though I have now been told that ovulating that late in a cycle can cause many problems-hence many m/c's. My gyn has mentioned that I should be taking hormones to start a cycle, then meds to ovulate(clomid) so that I could have a "healthy" ovulation. My pg with my daughter, I had a lap procedure 3 weeks before we conceived dd though I had loads of problems in that pg but we did have a happy outcome :o) I have since m/c and am in a waiting pattern and on hormones now to try and stop bleeding and then restart a cycle which will hopefully be followed by an RE next month.

Elizabeth

Indigo E. 11/20/03 csec,PE,IUGR,chronic HBP,hypothyroid,asthma,hyperemesis,33wks on BR. 5 m/c's
ttc #2
5thtymachrm

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia