Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Interval between pregnancies

Are you considering having another child after preeclampsia? Trying again after preeclampsia can be an emotional challenge. You can find support with others who share your concerns here.

Interval between pregnancies

Postby lyndsie » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:46 am

Hi ladies--

I'm not ready to ttc yet (just planning ahead!) and I was wondering how long did you wait between pregnancies before trying for another. My daugher is only 4 1/2 months old, but I am enjoying her so much that I know that I want to have another one eventually, even though I am scared. My preeclampsia was moderate-severe. Very high BP's, proteinuria, brisk reflexes, headaches, etc., thank God no HELLP though. I was induced at 38 weeks on the nose and she was 5lbs. 4oz. (IUGR).

Is a year too soon to try again?? Is there any advantage to having pregnancies closer together verses spread out? I will obviously consult with a peri before my next pregnancy, but I was curious what the rest of did.

Thanks!

Lyndsie
lyndsie

Re : Interval between pregnancies

Postby megansmom » Tue Sep 14, 2004 01:36 pm

I think it all depends on when YOU are ready. I wouldn't even think about another one until Megan was a little over 2. We are still just "talking" about it, but maybe by this time next year, we will have a new one or be close to it. I had severe PE and mild HELLP at 34 weeks. Megan stayed in the NICU for 12 days. It was all so scarey that I said never again for the first two years after Megan was born. It is still scarey, but I don't want Megan to be an only child. There are big advantages to having them close and spreading them out, just do what is best for you. I know I haven't helped, but I just wanted to get my 2 cents in there.

~Amanda
Mama to Megan, severe PE with mild HELLP at 34 wks

TTC #2 begins soon!
megansmom

Postby wcarder » Tue Sep 14, 2004 01:42 pm

Hey Lyndsie ~

Welcome!

i know there was some discussion about this before. Seems to me that there was some research regarding interval between pg and it's effect on PE reoccurrence, although I of course can't find it right now...

Anyway, I thought I read that if you wait TOO long, you can increase your risk of PE because your body may treat it as a first pregnancy again....your peri would probably give you great advise about when to TTC again, and whether you may want to run additional tests prior to TTC. i don't think a year is too soon...but ultimately, when you TTC again is your decision (given the Peri gives you a thumbs up.) I think there are a lot of ladies here who have little ones close in age. Lord knows I wish I did! Good Luck, and congrats on your new little one!

Wendy

DD~ Kenzie Celeste, 30 weeks GA, severe PE
wcarder

Postby julie f » Tue Sep 14, 2004 01:42 pm

We were told by our doctors that we had to wait a minimum of six months. We ended up waiting a couple of months more than that for various reasons and thankfully were able to get pg after a couple of months of trying.

There was actually a post in "Ask the Experts" a while back about this but, I'm having a hard time finding it. I'll keep looking and will post back if I see it.

I think Amanda's right, it all depends on when you are ready and when your doctors are on board. When the time comes though, I wish you the BEST of luck!!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby laura » Tue Sep 14, 2004 02:08 pm

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1178
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=116

Try these expert links [:)]

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby julie f » Tue Sep 14, 2004 02:26 pm

Oh Laura, you're awesome, that's what I was looking for!!

Julie (27)
Zachary James, 7/22/03-7/27/03, born at 26wks - severe pe

Miracle in progress... #2 is due February 2005!!!

Southern California Coordinator
julie f

Postby laura » Tue Sep 14, 2004 03:18 pm

That's what I'm here for-- that weirdo-goofball memory that can remember where posts from six months ago were, but not that I left my keys in the door and purse on top of my car... [:P]

Laura
Administrator/AK Area Coordinator

Alicia (severe PE) 5/98 ~ Camille (htn, oligo) 4/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/c/camilleandallie/
laura

Postby megansmom » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:49 pm

LOL Laura. I know what you mean! I am always having to stop and take things off the roof of my car. [:I] But I can remember the birthdays of people I haven't seen in years. Go figure!

~Amanda
Mama to Megan, severe PE with mild HELLP at 34 wks

TTC #2 begins soon!
megansmom

Postby meg hanrahan » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:56 am

Lyndsie

The biggest decision is really whether you feel ready to go through it again. The one question I have: How old are you? This played a big part in our baby planning. I was 36 when I had Isabella and had severe pe with her (born at 34 weeks, 9 days in NICU). I knew I couldn't wait too long if we wanted another. So after 5 months we tried for number two. Katie was born in April and she is only 17 months younger than Isabella. We are now working on number 3 (I am now 38 and want to have all my kids by 40)! Was I hesitant after being so sick with Isabella - of course! But my doctors kept a close eye on me and we decided that if I got pe again than we would stop at two kids. Thankfully I had no problems with Katie - so here we are trying for our last. If you still are unsure, talk with your doctor who can help you go through the physical and emotional aspects.

Meg
Isabella 11/11/2002 (34 weeks, severe pe)
Katie 4/21/2004 (full term, no pe)
meg hanrahan

Return to Trying Again after Preeclampsia