Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Introduction - FL GC

Introduction - FL GC

Postby iansmom » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:05 am

I just want to throw my introduction in for anyone in the panhandle area!

My name is Jackie Word. I live in Pensacola, Florida. I am the newest co-coordinator for the Alabama/Northwest Florida group. I grew up in Montgomery, AL and attended Auburn University. I have a BS in Wildlife Biology and I am certified to teach Biology. Which brings me to my current life...I am a teacher at an environmental science center owned by the Escambia County (AL) Board of Education. We are also a 501c-3 Foundation. So, I have plenty of grant writing experience to go along with everything else. My husband is a stay at home dad raising Ian who is 2 1/2 and Drew who is 11 weeks.

In December of 2001, I was in Montgomery visiting my family for Christmas when Ian was born. I had high blood pressure throughout the pregnancy, but my doctor was not concerned. I was having liver pain - of course, I didn't know it, and was very swollen. The day after Christmas,(26 weeks) my blood pressure was around 215/150 and climbing. I went to the er and had a c-section immediately. I narrowly escaped dialysis (among other things) and did not think my son would survive. Well, after 14 weeks in the NICU that was 3 hours from our home, he was discharged on his due date. I continued on blood pressure meds. We decided that we would not have any more children...

In September of last year, we changed our mind. I joined the forum and did lots of research and, of course, found a new doctor. So I got pregnant. By 6 weeks my blood pressure was rising daily. BY 11 weeks we had doubled my initial dosage of medication and added a second drug. I was taken out of work and spent 6 months on the couch! Drew was born at 36w 6d by repeat c-section. He was small, but perfectly healthy.

So, I am here because I know that if I had done more research or been better informed by my doctor, things could have been very different. I don't want other women to go through this just because they don't know the possibilities. Making this information easily available is a critical step. I would also like to see an emphasis on research. I would hate to think that my future daughters-in-law might go through what I did.

Believe it or not, that was the short version! I am just thrilled to be able to do something for the Foundation.

Ian 12/26/01 - 26 weeks P/E & HELLP
Drew 6/22/04 - 36w 6d Chronic hypertension & IUGR
iansmom

Return to Florida