Florida Group--Dec. 2004 Meeting!

Florida Group--Dec. 2004 Meeting!

Postby specmom » Mon Dec 06, 2004 07:23 pm

Hi Florida Ladies!!

The Florida Group of the Preeclampsia Foundation will have a kick-off online chat meeting next Tuesday evening, December 14th, at 8pm. The chat will be hosted by the Florida co-coordinators, Melissa and Tamara. Melissa’s story appears at [url]http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5199[/url]. Tamara’s story appears as the next message in this thread.

You are invited to meet other women, introduce yourself, and help the Florida Group get organized for local projects. There are a lot of opportunities to volunteer and get involved. If you have registered an e-mail address with the Preeclampsia Foundation, you should receive an e-mail with the chat agenda today. If your e-mail address has changed, you didn't receive the e-mail, or if you have not previously registered and would like to get involved, please click on the link to my username (Specmom) and send me an e-mail with your information.

In preparation for the meeting, we would like to send out via e-mail a mini-introduction to the ladies who will be attending the chat. If possible, please send an e-mail to the address listed in the e-mail you received today or by clicking on my username (Specmom). Please respond by Friday, December 10th, with the following information if you would like to share with the group:

· Name
· Number of pregnancies
· Currently pregnant? Provide due date and status of how you are doing.
· PIH/Preeclampsia/HELLP information: diagnosis, gestational age when diagnosed, gestational age delivered, outcome of delivery.
· Postpartum complications
· Underlying disorders

To access the chat, visit [url]http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/default.asp [/url] and log-in using your username and password. Once you are successfully logged-in, a Chat link will appear as an option on the top right hand of your screen under the words Preeclampsia Forum. Look for the “Florida Group Chat” room and come on in!

We hope you can attend the chat. If you can't, please let us know and we can discuss ways to get involved with you individually. We are very excited about meeting you and working together with all the Florida ladies to raise awareness of this disease and provide support to those who have been affected.

Melissa & Tamara
Florida Group Co-Coordinators
Preeclampsia Foundation

specmom

Re : Florida Group--Dec. 2004 Meeting!

Postby specmom » Mon Dec 06, 2004 07:25 pm

Tamara’s Story:

Hello! I recently moved back to Florida in the Tampa area, after being in Massachusetts for a few years. I guess you could say I’m a “native transplant” Floridian. I moved to South Florida around the age of 12, attended high school in Coral Springs, and then attended the University of Florida. My parents are still in South Florida, and I married a fellow Gator, who hails from Satellite Beach. His parents are still there, and I also have relatives in the Punta Gorda area, so I travel around the state frequently.

My son Cole is 21 months old. I am currently 32 weeks pregnant with another son, Joshua, and I am hoping to avoid PE/HELLP altogether this time. I am on a very modified bedrest to help keep my blood pressure down and will likely be delivered around 36 weeks if the baby’s lungs are mature.

During my first pregnancy, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes on a 1 hour glucose test and PUPPP (an itchy skin condition) during my third trimester, I had no other issues (including no high blood pressure) until the day I suddenly developed HELLP syndrome. My blood pressure, platelets and liver function rapidly changed. Within hours, I had an emergency c-section with ineffective general anesthesia (I felt the surgery). Around Cole’s first birthday, while trying to decide whether to have another child, I found the Preeclampsia Foundation. I found great comfort and support in sharing my story and hearing the stories of others.

I have a degree in psychology and completed pre-medical studies, although I am an attorney by trade. I currently work from home remotely part-time. I have a passion for all things medical, especially issues of maternal-child health, and I have nearly completed my certification as a childbirth educator. As a youth, I volunteered in labor and delivery and recently have had the opportunity to attend births as part of the childbirth educator certification process.

I have fundraising and event coordinating experience, particularly for health events, through various organizations. I hope to get to know each of you and spread the message of the Preeclampsia Foundation in our state. My hope is that the Preeclampsia Foundation will lead to greater community awareness and knowledge of this disease and, eventually, a way to prevent it.

Tamara
Moderator HELLP Syndrome Survivors
Florida Co-Coordinator
*Cole(2/15/03)-Gest.Diab?/PUPPP/HELLP/severe atypical PE/Emerg.C-Sect
*Joshua (sch. c/s @ 1/12/05)
specmom

Return to Florida