What part of IL do you live?

What part of IL do you live?

Postby halo79rn » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:17 pm

My family moved to the Champaign-Urbana area 3 months after my daughter was born. We're pregnant again and I'm wondering if anyone else had pree and delivered at the local hospitals (******* and *****... I'll probably have to use ***** for insurance reasons)??? How was your experience? Support with breastfeeding? The moms in our playgroup didn't have complications to know how the systems here handle it. But they do seem to complain a lot about their children being fed formula without the staff asking them.

Any info would be great.
thanks
Bridget
Libby born 1/29/06 exactly 37wk 1hr 8min 5lb 8oz 18 1/2 inches
halo79rn

Re : What part of IL do you live?

Postby deerhart » Mon Feb 19, 2007 01:54 pm

Hi Bridget,

I have not had a preemie at the Local Chambana hospitals, but I have had LOTS of experiences with them (I am from that area) including an ER visit with Mason at 6 weeks of age. My aunt was also taken care of by them in her pregnancy (bedrest for 7 months due to uterine cysts).

I am not sure what the NICUs look like there or if they would have to send you south to Mattoon or even down here by me to St. Louis.

I know when I visited while pregnant the plan was to get me stabilized in Champaign or Mattoon and then transfer to St. Louis (but thats because I live in STL).

One of the hospitals does have a III NICU, so they are equipped to handle very premature babies and complications, but I really don't know how much experience they get in them.
deerhart

Re : What part of IL do you live?

Postby halo79rn » Mon Feb 26, 2007 01:26 pm

Thanks...
Sorry, I keep forgetting this site has rules about what you can list on here. oops.
I worked at the hospital that I gave birth to Libby in.... recovery room and occassionally recovered c section patients. So I new the OB nurses and the OBs and Midwives pretty well. I was very comfortable with them. It's hard being in a new area... I never realized tha it would be so difficult to not know the staff... The stories I hear from moms in our playgroup suggest that 1/2 of them had sections and many of them had their babies taken straight to NICU right away. Libby's first apgar score was 3... but they stabalized her in my room and didn't take her out until I was able to hold her... and, even still, she was allowed to room in after that first night. I'm just more anxious this time around and in a new area.
Thanks for the info. There is a perinatologist here, so I'm sure I'd deliver here. I cannot get a referral to him unless by b/p starts climbing or I start showing other signs. Let's hope that doesn't happen.... but I would prefer to meet him just in case something happens last minute.
Thanks again
halo79rn

Return to Illinois