Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Hi from the newest WI coordinator

Hi from the newest WI coordinator

Postby mom2tori » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:52 pm

I just wanted to take a few minutes to say hi to everyone. I have just joined forces with Denise to help coordinate WI and I must say I am excited and honored. I have met some of you but would like to share my story for those of you who I haven't met yet.

I have had severe pe twice. My first experience with pe was when I was just 16 years old and found myself pregnant (not something I planned) From the beginning of the pregnancy I felt great, no sickness, no fatigue, I felt wonderful. By the time I hit 20 weeks my bp's had been creeping up, there was protein in my urine and I had a tremendous amount of swelling. I had never heard of pe so I was very unaware of the danger I was heading into. By 24/25 weeks I had horrible headaches and was put on hospital bedrest in Madison. At the time Madison was about 40-45 minutes from home and I was scared. At 28 weeks during a non stress test we lost fetal heart tones and I was told my son was already dead. I was rushed to the e.r. for an emergency c-section. My little boy was born weighing 1 pound 14 oz. He lived for 32 hours. I was the only person to hold him while he was alive and that was only because he was already dying and there was nothing more that could be done for him. Those were the darkest days of my life.

5 years later I found myself pregnant again-something I swore I was never going to go through. I was sick all the time in the beginning of this pregnancy and felt like I could sleep for days. PE found me again and by 27 weeks I was back in the hospital in Madison on bedrest. At 30 weeks my daughter was born weighing 2 pounds 7 oz. She was pulled out of my belly crying and the was the sweetest thing I had ever heard. Nothing could have made me happier. Victoria spent 5 1/2 weeks in the NICU doing very well. She was only on a ventilator for a couple days and besides a little jaundice was a champ. Now she is 4 and such a handful! I love her to death even though she makes me pull my hair out and scream from time to time.

I am currently pregnant with my 3rd and final child. I am scared, excited and everything in between. I also feel more in control and better equipped to deal with pe should it show up again (this is very likely I am told) We are shooting for 32 weeks and anything after that is a bonus.

I look forward to helping coordinate the state and being an active member, getting to know you all and making friendships that have a unique bond to share. Thanks for reading this far. (sorry it was so long, I get carried away)

UPDATE: 3/2/2007
I have agreed to take over coordinating duties from Denise. I am looking forward to this new 'job' and know that I will probably bug Denise about things quite often. Since my last post I have had my last baby. Savanna James was born on August 19 at 35weeks weighing 5 lbs 1oz. She is doing very well and growing way too fast!! Once again I developed PE but because of how far in the pregnancy I was I wasn't allowed to get as sick as before which was such a huge relief. It made a big difference in how the c-section went, how I felt after and the recovery. I said to everyone that at least I got to end my baby making days on a better experience than before.

I am ready to tackle this new responsiblity of coordinator and look forward to everyones ideas, suggestions and inputs. I am hoping that together we can meet, get some fundraising stuff going and get to WI better educated about pe.
mom2tori

Re : Hi from the newest WI coordinator

Postby kara » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:13 pm

Alissa, welcome to your new post with Denise! I'm so glad to have you guys leading the WI group! I hope you're feeling well!!

Kara
kara
Forum Moderator

Postby jenchar » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:20 pm

Yay Alissa! I'm so happy you took on the role. I hope all is still well in "preggo" land for you. I actually miss it sometimes, but we're done, too.

Hugs,
Jen
jenchar

Postby mom2tori » Sat Mar 04, 2006 09:31 am

Thanks guys! Jen-things are going alright here so far. Nothing major but of course that doesn't stop me from worrying.

I can't wait to have another get together......talking with you guys is so nice.
mom2tori

Postby denise » Sun Mar 05, 2006 09:18 am

Estatic to have you aboard Alissa!!!
denise

Postby denise » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:35 am

You rock Alissa!
denise

Return to Wisconsin