Post Reply FAQ Members Login

Welcome from your group coordinators....

Welcome from your group coordinators....

Postby ann marie » Wed Sep 01, 2004 08:12 am

by ann marie (1034 Posts), Wed Sep 01, 2004 08:12 am

Welcome to the Wisconsin page! We're so glad that you've found us. I'm Ann Marie, one of the co-coordinators for the great state of Wisconsin. Let me tell you a bit about how I came to be a coordinator.

I was diagnosed with chronic hypertension at my first prenatal visit with blood pressures of 140/90's. (I did not have high blood pressure before becoming pregnant or since my pregnancy however.) At that time my activities were restricted...no lifting, reduce stress, rest with my feet up as much as possible, etc. At 22 weeks my blood pressure went to 160/100, developed protein in my urine and was diagnosed with superimposed PIH and PE. At that time I was put on strict bedrest which brought my blood pressures down. Four weeks later at 26 weeks my blood pressure was no longer controlled with bedrest alone and I developed racing pulses so Atenolol was added to the bedrest. At 28 weeks I developed oligio in addition. The doctors never thought I would make it past 32 weeks.

After countless ultrasounds, non-stress tests, hospitalizations, blood draws and yes, my favorite, 24 hour urine tests I'm glad to say I proved them wrong and delivered my son via c-section (because he was breech) at 37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest. He is the light of our lives and having a difficult pregancy has made us treasure him all the more.

I also had gallbladder problems during my pregnancy and had my gallbladder removed when Luke was 7 weeks old...in case anyone out there has similar issues with that:)

I am married to Matt and Luke is our only child, except for 2 miniature wiener dogs Ollie and Emma. I teach at a local University. I love gardening, walking, reading and traveling.

I became involved in the foundation while on bedrest. The women on these boards were such a source of encouragment, information and support to me. I could not have survived my pregnancy without them. I have remained involved because I would like to share my experience in the hopes of helping others who find themselves in the same scary boat I did.

I look forward to working with those of you in Wisconsin to educate and fund raise in the name of the Preeclampsia Foundation. So much needs to be done and I'm looking forward to working with you to contribute to the cause.

Welcome again. We're so glad you've found us.

Ann Marie (29)Moderator for "Ask the Experienced" and "Bedrest"
DH: Matt (32)
PIH/PE/Low Amniotic Fluid
Luke 3/17/04--37 weeks after 15 weeks of bedrest
ann marie

Re : Welcome from your group coordinators....

Postby denise » Wed Sep 01, 2004 02:44 pm

by denise (5480 Posts), Wed Sep 01, 2004 02:44 pm

Welcome to the WI section of the PF![:D] Glad you found us! I'm Denise and I am co-coordinating WI with Ann Marie. She is in southern WI and I am more central, so we are planning on kinda of splitting up the state.

Here is a bit of my story: I became ill at 34 weeks with vomiting and chest pains (that I thought were from the vomiting) and thought I had the flu. I had been told about pre-e, but had never heard of HELLP before. I felt better and by Wed at my 34 week appt, no protein and my bp was normal. By Thurs night the pain had mildly returned and on Fri I started vomiting again. My DH came home from work in the afternoon and tried to get me to go in to the doc, but being stubborn, I said I could handle it. Afterall, it was just the flu. Within an hour I knew I had to go in, something was wrong.

We went into the doc and I ended up being admitted for PIH since my bp had made a significant jump. I was shocked to be told I would be giving birth that weekend. When my labs came back my diagnosis was changed to HELLP. I delivered the next day, vaginally, without an epidural. I was 34 weeks and 6 days. My daughter, Ariana, came into the world screaming after a fast 2nd and 3rd stage of labor. She weighed 4lb 0.8oz and 17 1/2 inches long. She spent 15 days in the nursery while she learned the suck/swallow/breath reflex, gained weight, and maintained her temp. She had mild oxygen problems and only needed the extra O2 for a couple days after birht. I was discharged on Mon. At this time I wasn't aware how bad things really were.

I had Class I HELLP, and at my two week checkup I learned the awful truth of this condition. I got online and started researching, and that's when it really hit me. I had been very sick. Ariana just turned two and thankfully has no major problems from the birth. We battled reflux for about 16 months, and she has an innocent heart murmur. Other than that, it's been pretty smooth sailing. We realize we are very lucky.

I found the Preeclampsia Foundation when Ariana was about 6 months old, and am so thankful for this organization. This place offers support, comfort, and knowledge that could not be recieved from people who don't understand what we've been through. I look forward to all the challenges/accomplishments that come with volunteering in this organization.

My husband Jason and I live in Wausau, WI (northcentral). We both grew up here. He works as a senior systems engineer for Liberty Mutual here in town (he's my own computer techie). We have one child, Ariana.

I just graduated (May 05) with a BS in sociology, an emphasis in deviance and social control, as well as an emphasis in social work. I am still on the fence about which direction I want to head. I would love to work with pg mom's, or teen mom's, but we just don't have a large enough population for special groups dedicated to that. I've been incredibly lucky to quit working when I came back to school FT in 2002. For now, I'm looking for work, but also enjoying my time with Ariana before the daily grind starts.

I am looking foward to working with everyone, and offering any assistance I can. Please feel free ask any questions you may have. I hope other Wisconsinites become involved as we pursue our cause!

-------
Denise (29)- WI Group Co-coordinator
Jason (31)
Ariana-born 5/3/03 at 35 weeks due to HELLP

denise

Postby annegarrett » Wed May 25, 2005 00:27 am

by annegarrett (2525 Posts), Wed May 25, 2005 00:27 am

Thanks you two! I just had to snicker a bit--as Denise is an expert in "deviance" and I am sure we can put that skill to good use. ;) Just appreciating that given that my boys seem to have been studying in that same school.

Thanks for stepping in to fill this void. We had a social worker in Lacrosse contact us about a support group for teens who had lost a baby due to preeclampsia, so the need is clearly strong.

Take care and keep up the great work!!

Anne Garrett
Founder/Spokeswoman
Preeclampsia Foundation
annegarrett

Postby denise » Mon May 30, 2005 10:32 am

by denise (5480 Posts), Mon May 30, 2005 10:32 am

Thanks Anne! I wish we had a larger impact in this state, or at least a larger membership. But I know we are growing, and that is wonderful!

-------
Denise (29) Co-coordinator for WI
Jason (32)
Ariana (24 months)5/3/03-just shy of 35 weeks: Class 1 HELLP
http://hometown.aol.com/oneyodafan/DeniseHomePage.htm
denise

Postby mom2tori » Mon May 30, 2005 11:01 am

by mom2tori (3842 Posts), Mon May 30, 2005 11:01 am

Hey Denise, we may not have a lot of numbers but we are strong!!! Right?!:)

Alissa mommy to:
Dominic 9/10/97-9/11/97 @ 28 weeks
Victoria 1/8/02 @ 30 weeks
mom2tori

Return to Wisconsin