Hello, I am new!

Have you suffered from HELLP syndrome or had a pregnancy complicated by an underlying disorder? Discuss your concerns here

Hello, I am new!

Postby em » Sat Sep 27, 2003 03:42 pm

Hello, I am a hellp survivor! I had hellp syndrome back in 1997 with my first son. As everyone else I was delighted with my pregnancy and although I was sick almost everyday of my pregnancy and was told that this was quite normal I kept plodding on (as you do) at 38 weeks I took myself of to the hospital feeling very ill, where I collapsed at the Delivery Suite doors, from then on was a nightmare. I had a Emergency C Section, where my 7lb baby boy was born but he was rushed away to SCBU. My blood pressure dropped down to 40/15 and my platelet count was awful. My kidneys failed so did my liver, one of my lungs collapsed and I started to haemorrage losing 21 units of blood. I had to spend a week on Intensive Care and then back onto delivery suite for 4 days and then inventually I was well enough to go back onto the maternity ward where i was reunited with my son. I am unable to remember my first cuddle, i could not breast feed and all the feelings I should have felt as a new mum were taken away by this terrible disorder.

I have gone through some really bad times during the last six years and I finally feel now like I am able to think about having another child. But I need someone to talk to. What are the odds of this happening again? Am i completely mad for wanting to?

I have spoken with my consultant and he says there is an 80% chance that it won't happen again, but there are now guarentees in life.

Sorry if I have babbled. I think I just need to talk to others that are feeling the same way that i do.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Em

Em
em

Return to HELLP Syndrome Survivors and Underlying Disorders